THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We'll we're still on leftover patrol. So tonights menu is going to be open faced hot turkey sandwiches with gravy and peas. I'll be whipping up a carrot and celery root(celeriac) coleslaw to have on the side.

Tomorrow with the balance of our ham well be making ham tetrazinni it has a bechamel type sauce so that should give us a couple of meals each.
:laughing7:
bill, kin folk coming tomorrow. Weā€™re eating Christmas leftovers for two days or do. Iā€™ll probably crank the grill after that.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Lucky we are. Tornado warnings for our area and this weekend. Celebrating New Years with tornado warnings. Thatā€™s the way to start a new year. This weather is a site.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky we are. Tornado warnings for our area and this weekend. Celebrating New Years with tornado warnings. Thatā€™s the way to start a new year. This weather is a site.
Just had 2 tornado warnings about an hour ago,no tornadoes luckily.Looks like it,s moving East of Arkansas so you guys in Tenn.,Ga,Miss,and points East look out.Hoping for the best for you guys.Do not zig when you,re supposed to zag!!!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are supposed to represent how much iron mineralization is in the soil. The detector's circuits are trying to eliminate soil/background noise from targets. A fairly futile effort *BUT* ....that "intelligence" is what one is paying for, to simply ignore the effort ....(at least all the time)....isn't very "smart". After all, the simplest detectors will have "intelligence" that tells you there is a piece of metal below. We trust that part and dig.

I figure this way. I have less time in my future nowadays. When I go for a walk, sometimes, I just don't want it to be like I'm just going to work. I don't want to dig every single target *every* time I go! Sometimes I do. Just not *every* walk!

The science of metal detecting has become fascinating! A really good discriminating detector can be a good thing! Why else spend all that money if what is desired is just tell me there's metal in the ground? Might as well buy a bulldozer and a sieve.

My initial question is just about what levels of mineralization, with which, other parts of the country are dealing?

I tried an experiment last time out. I actually tried to understand and *use* some of the technology I bought!

I set my machine to the custom mode and eliminated iron to 35. (It goes up to about 45). Then I auto ground balanced to about 92 making as sure as I could, that there were no metal targets where I was balancing first. Then, I chose from the four main frequencies that the detector has, to find the one with the least interference.

The machine was a dream to use! It stayed as quiet as it could and yet hit on targets like a gold earring at about 8 inches! Nickles at about 10!
I also rebalanced the machine every few minutes and was surprised to see how the mineralization changed so much in just short distances! When I was unsure of a target? I flipped it over to the "iron audio"....and then?? I dug it anyway!! I found the iron audio circuit to be about 90 percent accurate!

The only way to be sure? Use all metal mode and dig *EVERYTHING*! But that....is too much like work! I'm retired.
Thanks for this bit of knowledge WIF,filing that away for future reference.little tips like this are so helpful to so many.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some of the First Texas (Fisher products) donā€™t either. My hunting bud for years machine didnā€™t have it. Heā€™s found a lot of stuff.
Yep Hickokā€™s got over a million subscribers plus he and his son ( camera man) have a couple other channels. ā€œ That ainā€™t workin, thatā€™s tha way ya do itā€
What does this Hickok do?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
WD,
You're turning into a real kitchen witch....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
You created it !
1640817797288.gif

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
having cooked for a living , (breakfasts included) I can appreciate that cook.

Guy didn't specify he wanted it hot.
I'd have drained his eggs and burnt bacon and put it in the freezer with his burnt toast for a few minutes before putting it up as ready to serve ..
Then run him out if he complained.
:blackbeard:
If you,re going to eat at a place on a regular basis,I always found it advantageous to compliment the cook and tip the waitress well,add a little extra for the cook while you,re at it. You,ll notice that you get your stuff before any one else and it,ll be done right. Too bad we don,t have those little diners anymore where you could get breakfast at 4:30 AM.Eggs over easy,Bacon,sausage,toast and grits with real butter.Beat the hell out of McDonalds every time.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just had 2 tornado warnings about an hour ago,no tornadoes luckily.Looks like it,s moving East of Arkansas so you guys in Tenn.,Ga,Miss,and points East look out.Hoping for the best for you guys.Do not zig when you,re supposed to zag!!!
Thanks buddy
TV is all red on the radar now. The shelter is open with plenty of rum if any pirates need help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread