THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was argu-er... debating with some British bloke, about metal detecting.. He called detectorists grave robbers, and tomb raiders. I pointed out the benefits of relic hunting, to which he blamed Catholicism for destroying history. (how did we get to religion??)

Anyways, he went on to say how relic hunters would gladly destroy fields for some precious relic, to which I replied "So you'd rather let the farm fields destroy history? Tractor plows and chemical sprays and soil will render many artifacts unidentifiable in the coming years. Is that what you want?" He gave up. Frankly I'm glad he did. It was getting boring.

Only qualified archaeologists and historians are allowed allowed to rob graves and tombs. Didn't you know that?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
untitledgefgd.png

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait a minute...the dog ran off so Beep is promoted to coffee maker right? Since she doesn't want to be called the cabin boy. Or is the emergency anchor?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HBP,

So true this actually happened to me several years ago....on a lark I signed up for a free online archeology course put on by an Ivy League University in the U.S.

In the discussion part of the forum I made the mistake of admitting I was a detectorist.....well one of the attendees accused me of being a grave robber, etc.....

Turns out he was just a member of some hokey historical society or other in Europe with no real credentials....well he wouldn't back off and since the rules of the forum stated no harrasing, bashing and the usual b.s. I reported him to the University course givers well they took his side....their mistake.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

I called them pretty much every name in the book stating that half of the artifacts from King Tut's tomb which was escavated by archeologist went missing and were sold off by archelogist and btw that was a grave and not raided by detectorists.

Numerous North American native remains have been robbed and stored in museum vaults and the natives have to sue archeologists and museums for the return of these remains for proper burial.

Sorry for the rant but it burns my butt when these hypocrites accuse us of being grave robbers.

Only qualified archaeologists and historians are allowed allowed to rob graves and tombs. Didn't you know that?

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike,

Glad the missus is feeling better give her a big hug for me. Maybe some fermented foods would be good for her such as kosher pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir and that sort of stuff.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a cheapskate...my method is free. :)

Just messing with you as usual :) But that reminds me of a cheap ruler if you don't have one handy. A dollar bill is almost exactly six inches long. I'm all for saving money. But it would be cool to have a caliper.
Another method is using your the span of your hand which is "The distance from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger when the hand is fully extended, formerly used as a unit of measure equal to about 9 inches (23 centimeters)."
In the case of cannonballs you got to be precise in measurements however.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HBP,

So true this actually happened to me several years ago....on a lark I signed up for a free online archeology course put on by an Ivy League University in the U.S.

In the discussion part of the forum I made the mistake of admitting I was a detectorist.....well one of the attendees accused me of being a grave robber, etc.....

Turns out he was just a member of some hokey historical society or other in Europe with no real credentials....well he wouldn't back off and since the rules of the forum stated no harrasing, bashing and the usual b.s. I reported him to the University course givers well they took his side....their mistake.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

I called them pretty much every name in the book stating that half of the artifacts from King Tut's tomb which was escavated by archeologist went missing and were sold off by archelogist and btw that was a grave and not raided by detectorists.

Numerous North American native remains have been robbed and stored in museum vaults and the natives have to sue archeologists and museums for the return of these remains for proper burial.

Sorry for the rant but it burns my butt when these hypocrites accuse us of being grave robbers.

There are untold numbers of historians and archaeologists who have celebrated careers, but never get out of their universities and museums and get a speck of dust on their shoes.
I don't think the robbers and looters are out doing the things we do, and it is unfair to lump us in with those kind.
I think history should be preserved, of course. Would any of us here melt down gold objects from a shipwreck? At the least, we know something like that is worth more in terms of money than it is melted.
What bothers me is that when someone finds an interesting site and lets the goverment know, they can confiscate the place, bar the original finder, and other peasantry, from the spot, and bury finds in universities where only a select few can see them. Or put them in a museum and charge people to look at them. And some of the finds are stolen by the arcaeologists themselves, as you mentioned.
Oh well. Guess we are doomed to war, until the government has declared every acre of land off limits to us.
But I can see a movie opportunity here. A Romeo and Juliet type love story. A metal detectorist falls in love with an accredited arcaeologist. Hilarity,drama, shenanigans ensue!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting