THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7 - Page 54
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 54 of 187 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree17252Likes

Thread: THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre.
    19123 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRelics View Post
    I'm doing the classical Greek geometry this year. It's not at all my favorite, but it isn't terrible. Last year when I was doing Algebra with a fast talking woman for a teacher, I just wanted to walk out in front of a car every day.
    i'm doing teaching textbooks and the guy doing it gets really excited when teaching he gets on my nerves
    RustyRelics, Msbeepbeep and Simon1 like this.
    audemus jura nostra defendere

neque deditionem

us
    beachcomber, treasure hunter, fisherman

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    Mine lab primary fisher secondary
    23504 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    3 1/2 that's pretty big for grape or cannister ?

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    16624 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Blak bart View Post
    Most of the iron shot gets eaten away but I have a few pieces like that.....is that canister shot ??
    I really don't know what it is. It's so fricken heavy, I find it hard to imagine lifting a bunch of shot like that.

It's solid iron, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter, and has the two casting sprues on top, and two very small ones on the side. I only found one picture that looked like it, and it said it was Spanish, 1500s-1600s. I just don't know what to think about it though.

My grandfather is the one who acquired it. He said it was a War of 1812 cannonball. I doubt that because British and American cannon balls of that time were perfectly round. However older ones may have been imperfect. I just don't know.
    GB1, Msbeepbeep and Simon1 like this.
    "The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy." - Jubal Early

"We'll fight them, sir, till hell freezes over, and then, sir, we'll fight them on ice" - Unknown Confederate soldier

Bullets wanted! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tr...ml#post6272084

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    16624 times
    Relic Hunting
    3 1/2 that's pretty big for grape or cannister ?
    Grapeshot gets to be about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 inches around, though bigger variations exist at least in the Civil War period. Way to big for canister.
    GB1, Blak bart, Msbeepbeep and 1 others like this.
    "The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy." - Jubal Early

"We'll fight them, sir, till hell freezes over, and then, sir, we'll fight them on ice" - Unknown Confederate soldier

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    16624 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    i'm doing teaching textbooks and the guy doing it gets really excited when teaching he gets on my nerves
    My chemistry teacher is exactly the same way. He get's all fired up about Ions and electrons, and me and the kids in his class are like..."why?"

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    23504 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    First thing I thought was a mill ball rusty ?

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    16624 times
    Relic Hunting
    First thing I thought was a mill ball rusty ?
    Mill balls are 100% round and smooth. They are pretty unmistakable. However, when I put the question out there, I got responses from it was a gatepost thingie, to a clock weight, to shot put ball etc. etc. etc. I don't know if anybody really knows about cannon balls older than 1776.

us

Jun 2016
    FL keys
    23504 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Looks like something was attached at one time. Check out ARCs reference charts.....theres one that shows canon balls and shot.....I bet yours was once chained to a ball of the same size with a short piece of chain.

Charter Member
    us
    Roger

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    13384 times

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    16624 times
    Relic Hunting
    I don't know much about cannonballs, but I do know the Spanish were notoriously bad at cannon ball making.

it
    Sep 2016
    Mexico
    7734 times
    Rusty, the bar shot was primarily a naval round, designed to take down a rival ships masts or rigging.

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    16624 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Real of Tayopa View Post
    Rusty, the bar shot was primarily a naval round, designed to take down a rival ships masts or rigging.
    I just have no idea if it is or not. Who made it? When? It's hard when even the internet doesn't know.

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    41153 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    A good friend of mine who spent a career as a cop said at full moon the bar fights and domestic violence calls would double so yeah full moon is real when it comes to crazy behaviour.

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    41153 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    An interesting article about the holy grail.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/6...=pocket-newtab

us
    Sep 2013
    Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
    9745 times
    I'm still here...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links