THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case y'all are wondering...I'm on my second 20 oz. Mug of... COFFEE!!! :blob7::blob10::blob3::blob5::blob6::blob9::blob8:

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banana bread!!!! ( perk)
Would love to have some of that with a cup of coffee.

@ toe ... delayed response sorry

Congratulations on ring finding and recognition! My best finds are always the ones returned. Nice pic of you, too. :)

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well called the vets. Got an appointment for my pup this afternoon.

You show up and they come out to get your pet. Talk to on the phone during exam. Being pet out and you pay over phone.

As a woman who couldn’t have children... my dog is my child. Hard to just drop him off when he’s not feeling well. ... But very thankful they are doing it that way for the safety of all.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G. A. ... I think he just has bad allergies and I think he also needs another round of ear medicine.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so does Aligator 0426160716.jpg

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ear med is 75.00 an ear...
The allergy med I think is 50.00
25 for office call.

I wonder if they can throw in a roll of toilet paper for free. Lol.

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@GAP

So you had your own MD shop? At one time I thought about doing that.

Now retired so I would rather just travel and detect.

In your 40 of detecting, what had been the best place you ever detected ?... not because of what you found necessarily. More because of how you felt in the place.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
@GAP

So you had your own MD shop? At one time I thought about doing that.

Now retired so I would rather just travel and detect.

In your 40 of detecting, what had been the best place you ever detected ?... not because of what you found necessarily. More because of how you felt in the place.

The Sullivan Trail
Around 5,000 Rev.troops marched 5 miles from my house in 1779 to wipe out the Six Nations
I find the best thrill is to hold what one of or founding fathers dropped in defense of our young nation.
Gen. Sullivan's 1779 Campaign Against the Iroqouis

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love some sunshine! But, that would mean I would have to burn more rubbish. I am very sore from dragging branches around yesterday. I fell (surprise, surprise) and my left, ahem, side is killing me! So, I think today, I will be content to make banana bread out of my extra ripe bananas. Waste not.

Gotta quit fallin WD...

I'll bite my tongue about you not having a motorized mule...Ain't easy though.

One way I've muled brush on shanks mare (on foot) is to take several feet of rope and throw a loop in each end by tying bowlines.
About a three inch loop one one end ,and a roughly foot diameter loop in the other.
Lay the short loop on the butt of what you are dragging and run the other end of the ropes loop through it then draw it up tight. Use the bigger loop for a hand hold to drag with.
Be careful not to hit yourself in the back of the leg. Resistance letting loose can make what you're dragging jump forward....

If you have lots of little stuff /brush/small limbs ect. make a pile with butts forward and any curves in limbs upwards/skyward.
Then run your rope under and around running big loop through small loop to drag.

To get fancy if butts snag ground (shortening the rope can raise the load too) you can run a halfhitch on the butt ahead of your loops grip point.
A half hitch will slip off if routed one way ,and grip if routed the other. Hard for me to explain , but quite understandable when trying it out.

A stout couple foot limb section can be used for a tow handle if your gloved hands don't like the ropes pressure.
Lighter loads can help too.
Don't fight it and hurt or tire the mule (you).
An abused mule will balk and the project becomes too much a contention of a chore to have a good time.. :laughing7:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I tested my detector on some rings yesterday, and they all sounded different. It helps to know what kind of gold ring I'm looking for.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also took the detector out in the field for once yesterday. I found enough bullet casings to wonder if there was a war here.

I'll try again today, but so help me, if I find one more piece of shredded soda can, I will not be responsible for my actions. :laughing7:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning RR
Yes 14K will sound different than 18K. I've found several but never a 22K. My preferred machine is my White M6 which I don't list in my profile but it loves rings if they are there. I've been hunting an engagement ring at the ole football field here for 12 years or more with no luck. I'm beginning to think someone has slipped in on me and found it. But even the 22K will give a different VDI. Good luck out there. Dig it all.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning RR
Yes 14K will sound different than 18K. I've found several but never a 22K. My preferred machine is my White M6 which I don't list in my profile but it loves rings if they are there. I've been hunting an engagement ring at the ole football field here for 12 years or more with no luck. I'm beginning to think someone has slipped in on me and found it. But even the 22K will give a different VDI. Good luck out there. Dig it all.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On this day, 2 years ago, I found the find of a lifetime.

Here is a story I wrote last year about it.

"I made this find last year, at an organised relic hunt in Virginia, DIV XL. Virginia, my home state, is the most beautiful place on earth in late March, and last year was no exception. I had never gone relic hunting before, I had no experience, but I was excited. So excited in fact, that I neither ate, nor slept for two days before the event - much to the worriment of my former EMT dad.

The first day didn't go "well". I only dug two bullets, but I was floating on air when I found them. They were in the camp of the 77th New York, when they were camped along the Rappahannock in October, 1863.

The second day didn't start out much better. I walked a good two miles before I found a promising spot at around lunch time, at the site of an old house. There, I dug a large "dandy" flat button. I was really excited by this, so I ran the two miles back to find my dad and the others in our group.

About two hours later, we were at the spot, swinging away. My dad found a thimble, Ed found a New York state seal coat button, and Don...poor Don.

I finally got a signal that sounded better than "hot rock" which is what I was getting all day. It was in the foundation of the house, which everyone seemed to ignore, but newbie me didn't think about such things at the time. Out popped a little coin like object. I took it to my dad, and with some squinting, he declared that it was a George Washington inaugural button...at least that's what it's shaped like.

So about an hour later during dinner, my dad looks at the button again. By this time, some dirt had dried and fell off. He squinted some more, than his eyes got huge. He started yelling "CS!! CS!! IT'S CONFEDERATE!!" Every digger within earshot scurried over rocks, trees, other diggers, shovels, you name it, they scurried. None of us had ever seen one like it before, certainly not me.

William Leigh was at the event, and he identified the button as a super rare "local" Confederate staff officers button, listed as CS17 in Warren K. Tice's button book. He only knows of about 30 or so having ever been dug, and some were not in very good condition.

To this day, I've never cleaned it. I am super proud of it, it being my first Confederate find, and my rarest. Folks say I will NEVER top it, and I believe they're right."

NSTCW22.jpg

I might add that we tried to keep it a secret. We did an okay job, but soon everyone knew about it.

Butch Holcombe, Publisher of American Digger magazine, got to be one of the first people besides me to hold it, and his hands were shaking as he did. THAT is when I knew I had something good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread