THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
rook,

Just thinking since you metal detect you could probably make some nice display cases for finds using the barnwood as frames. It would give the case a nice antique look. Use them for yourself, give them away as gifts or even sell a few to make some extra spending money.

bill
I've got a window out of an old home that is single light(one pane) that I'm going to use for the door. And build the rest of barn wood. I've been sanding the lead paint off of the pane panels. I'll probably finish it buy mid summer.:laughing7: I've been working on this for 2 years. Going out to make a pic now. I'll post a pic.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Since we are trying to stretch out our supermarket trips these days. I've been freezing veggy offcuts and peel and this afternoon made a stock.

Then chopped up some onions, carrots, celery and sauteed in some oil it's a little trick to bring out the flavor before adding to the soup pot. Chopped up some green cabbage and we'll scrounge some odds and ends from the freezer to round it out.

Later I'll be firing up a fresh batch on fermented sauerkraut. We've got about 2 quarts off red cabbage perking away, however, from start to finish it's about 6 weeks so gotta plan a bit ahead not to run out.

Once upon a time when I cooked for a livin...
Saturday night a "steamship" round of beef 70-90 lbs. went in the oven for Sunday brunch after I poured a pound of salt on it.
After brunch the bone went in a stock pot and veggie tops or scrap cuts went in the stock pot till around a day later when it was used as a soup base.
It may have simmered longer , I don't recall . It was others that used it. Heck , I don't recall the particular soup or what they called it either!
Waitresses hit the soup(s) firstr shift had put out.
I just added water when they got diluted.
Like au jus , it's easy to be too salty if condensed , or not diluted sometimes.

Story time!
A waitress said a customer had a question about his omelet. Particularly , did I put cinnamon in it.
I knew immediately I had ladled french toast batter out of the container next to the eggbeaters/egg substitute.
Customer turned down a quick omelet offer and apology and said it was good , but the cinnamon threw him off...

Bone broth has long been recognized as a sustaining base. Some folks preferred roasting the bones first if they were not cooked with meat on them prior.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
bill
I've got a window out of an old home that is single light(one pane) that I'm going to use for the door. And build the rest of barn wood. I've been sanding the lead paint off of the pane panels. I'll probably finish it buy mid summer.:laughing7: I've been working on this for 2 years. Going out to make a pic now. I'll post a pic.

Sorry ARC
Posting bill My relic-coin door front In progress.
bill
Here is the one im working on but I've got one in the shop somewhere that is the old wave glass. Hard to find these days.
20200401_152044.jpg

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RC,

Yep the collagen in bone broth is very good for you and also helps your gut health I've been told.

Most high end restaurants and hotels save all the offcuts and peels from veggies to make a stock. And as you say if you want a more intense meat stock roast the bones first to add flavor. Just not to hot or long as you don't want them to burn.

Those high end restaurants pretty much do the same thing our mothers and grandmothers did out of neccesity. The stale bread made bread pudding or stuffing for a chicken or turkey. Failing that bread crumbs and I remember when I was a kid they'd save the bacon fat to use for frying foods.

And the drippings from a chicken, turkey or roast made a delicious gravy with a bit of flour and seasoning.

Once upon a time when I cooked for a livin...
Saturday night a "steamship" round of beef 70-90 lbs. went in the oven for Sunday brunch after I poured a pound of salt on it.
After brunch the bone went in a stock pot and veggie tops or scrap cuts went in the stock pot till around a day later when it was used as a soup base.
It may have simmered longer , I don't recall . It was others that used it. Heck , I don't recall the particular soup or what they called it either!
Waitresses hit the soup(s) firstr shift had put out.
I just added water when they got diluted.
Like au jus , it's easy to be too salty if condensed , or not diluted sometimes.

Story time!
A waitress said a customer had a question about his omelet. Particularly , did I put cinnamon in it.
I knew immediately I had ladled french toast batter out of the container next to the eggbeaters/egg substitute.
Customer turned down a quick omelet offer and apology and said it was good , but the cinnamon threw him off...

Bone broth has long been recognized as a sustaining base. Some folks preferred roasting the bones first if they were not cooked with meat on them prior.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rook,

Good job....even though we're old farts we're new wave believe it or not. The kick with a lot of the younger crowd is zero waste, repurposes stuff, foraging, gardening, cooking from scratch, etc....it's not like they invented it.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya Bill I figured the "doctors" were all busy in hospitals battling C19. This was a micky mouse job. As long as my pcp & Neuro get the results i'm not sweating it. We did the next person a favor and Lysoled the place.

ECS they're walking alright, right on by! :laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beeps,

Here you go....

Ya Bill I figured the "doctors" were all busy in hospitals battling C19. This was a micky mouse job. As long as my pcp & Neuro get the results i'm not sweating it. We did the next person a favor and Lysoled the place.

ECS they're walking alright, right on by! :laughing7:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
rook,

Good job....even though we're old farts we're new wave believe it or not. The kick with a lot of the younger crowd is zero waste, repurposes stuff, foraging, gardening, cooking from scratch, etc....it's not like they invented it.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Thanks Msbeepbeep and bill. I've got tons one projects to last till the virus is dust.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Even when staying home, we're finding more d*** trees to work on.

I've been trying to get permission to go ASK PERMISSION to metal detect for weeks now. I've come up with a good argument.

These trees will be here for hundreds of years, I'll be gone in less than two.

That could backfire, because I'm pretty sure they know I'll be leaving, so they're getting as much work out of me as possible. :laughing7:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Even when staying home, we're finding more d*** trees to work on.

I've been trying to get permission to go ASK PERMISSION to metal detect for weeks now. I've come up with a good argument.

These trees will be here for hundreds of years, I'll be gone in less than two.

That could backfire, because I'm pretty sure they know I'll be leaving, so they're getting as much work out of me as possible. :laughing7:

If I were up that way I’d help. But this darn new dog is way too much. My buddy is coming by tomorrow with his new drone. The Swimming pool is next door. I’ll bet she wants her pics on the internet.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• ARC