Fisherman catches strange, 'dinosaur-like' creature

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/fisherman-catches-dinosaur-creature

By Michael Hollan | Fox News

This definitely counts as a once-in-a-lifetime catch.

A fisherman was shocked when he reeled in a bizarre, alien-looking creature from the water. The strange animal had large bulbous eyes that made it look like something truly out of this world.

Oscar Lundahl nearly “jumped out of his fishing boat” when he pulled the strange creature into his boat, The Sun reports. Photos of the fish reveal its large eyes and comparatively small body.

dd3ec811-ratfish-caught.jpg
Oscar Lundahl claims that despite its ugly appearance, the fish was actually quite tasty. (Oscar Lundahl)

Lundahl, a fishing guide for Nordic Sea Angling, was reportedly fishing for blue halibut off the coast of the island of Andoya in Norway when he made the catch. He was apparently fishing in 2,600 feet of water at the time.

He told The Sun, “We were looking for blue halibut which is a rare species about 5 miles offshore. I had four hooks on one line and felt something quite big on the end of it. It took me about 30 minutes to reel it in because it was over 2,600 feet deep.”

ratfish-caught-2.jpg
Oscar Lundahl claims that his colleague identified the creature as a ratfish, a relative to the shark that is rarely caught. (Oscar Lundahl)

The strange-looking fish wasn’t his only catch of the day. He said, “There were two halibut on two of the hooks and I was really happy about that and then I saw there was something else. It was pretty amazing. I have never seen anything like it before. It just looked weird, a bit dinosaur-like. I didn't know what it was but my colleague did.”

The fish is apparently a ratfish, a relative of the shark that reportedly dates back 300 million years. They live in deep water and apparently very rarely caught.

Lundahl claims that due to the extreme change in pressure, the ratfish didn’t survive the experience. Not wanting to waste it, Lundahl claimed that he took the fish home and fried it up. Despite its ugly appearance, it was really tasty,” he told The Sun. “It is a bit like cod but tastier.”

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm thought for sure he was gonna say "tastes like chicken". heh

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a strange looking one.

ARC, that would have been even stranger if it tasted like chicken.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread