anyone with experience in varnishing ? (too visible brush strokes)

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
fishing deep here
looking for some guidance on varnishing flat boards w/o visible brush strokes

well sanded hardwood boards 1x17x10' (cachimbo), seal coated and lightly sanded, 1st coat sanded flat,
and then issues with brush strokes

the varnish is Sherwin Williams Polyurethane Varnish, 1 part - Brilliant; solvent is Mineral Spirits as appropriate
amb T is low 80s in the shade and the varnish's viscosity is similar to 30wt motor oil

on the 'net multiple thin coats are recommended but w/o diluting with solvent my coats are thick and with the occasional brush stroke
also stated is that a flat coat w/o brush marks will only be obtained by spraying

one source suggested heating the varnish to reduce its viscosity when applied

any experience out there to assist ?

am I chasing my tail ?

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I am an idiot, will leave this thread up for any other idiots

when all else fails, read the directions
duh
"Reduction for brush or roller 10% - 15% Mineral Spirit"

never should have been using it straight
bleh

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
postscript

diluted with ~20% mineral spirts and did not heat
just fine, but apply with a kinda dry brush (thin coats -> not thick)

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite for most finish has been lacquer. Deft is one I've used a lot. It also comes in spray cans. It does have a strong smell if that's a problem. fastest drying. Another I have started using is a hand rubbed poly. Seems hard to make a mistake with it. Just an applicator like a lint free cloth. I use a paper product made for this.
A step most miss of don't know is before tacking the surface take a lint free cloth and soak with turpentine or paint thinner and give the wood a rub. You might be surprised how much saw dust has been left behind.
I had a large project once before and bought a spray kit from Harbor Freight. Cheap but built and did well. It had 2 different cans, a LPHV kit that ran fine on my limited cap compressor.
If the project won't be exposed to things like drink glasses etc. a lot of fussy woodworkers still go with shellac. A top notch finish is using shellac with a french polish. Tricky but if you like violins, this is how it's done. The wood grain won't be muddy like many stains will do.
A work around for this is water or alcohol based powder stains.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old man, though not a professional, was an expert at applying varnish. He used to own a 40' boat that needed guardrail varnish every year. What he would do is lightly wipe with fine brass wool between coats, wipe with a tack cloth to remove the dust, and apply the finish coat with a foam brush.

It wasn't often that he screwed up a coat but when he did, and being a perfectionist, he wasn't afraid to sand it smooth again and apply a couple more coats. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
indeed, am developing a body of knowledge about sanding and mediums; can all be redone until satisfactory

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp... I happen to be an expert in varnish work.

I spent years in my early twenties refinishing yachts in marinas.

I was known throughout for top notch wood work... and had a waiting list for my work.

So... Bill... fire away.

Maybe I will tell one of my secrets.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill ... first let me ask... is this wood going to be inside or out ? ? ?

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
outside windows and frames, of cachimbo a fairly hard wood
the other concurrent application is for countertops which do see sunlight

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... when I did varnish work it was always on boats... which obviously are exposed to sunlight / high U.V.

I had a favorite varnish which I hear has been since discontinued... Behr Super Spar... the shiznat was like hot honey... loved working with it.

A spar varnish is recommended.

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I functioned as a coatings engr and do not have even the first clue as to how a "spar varnish" differs from a and b and c etc
more marketing in coatings than lipstick

constituent resins, oils, solvents, etc
but w/o access to someone's exposure data, one is left listening to the vendors

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok... follow this and I promise you will be happy...BUT... be ready to put the work in.

First... prep... sanding the wood.. sand WITH grain... this is a given I know... start with 80...one good pass.. go to 120... one good pass... then 200.. again one good final pass till smooth.

CLEAN RAG... dump PAINT THINNER on it and proceed to clean the wood ... watching for rag fibers... really wet the wood evenly to same darkness as a rule.

Make sure that ALL dust and debri is freed from surface.

First coat... apply evenly and decently...

Continue ?

This is where the "tricks" come in.... and the work... BUT... in the end you will thank me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread