Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20210330_194103.jpg
Oh how nice to have a reflection on the bay again.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a little stop.her yesterday during a therapy dig/play.
20210330_161934.jpg
Embossed and I forgot what it said already.
20210330_161845.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got my feed and stopped by the lock station to check the load, and took a pic of the Block house.
20210329_160634.jpg
20210329_160606.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a fun event WD, just leave the change purse at home..........safer that way.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0076.jpg

I went to see this place yesterday.

The Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, and is one of the few primitive homes remaining in Southern Ohio. The original deed describes the property where the house stands as being on an outlet of Old Alexandria, the first village established in this area.
In 1797, Revolutionary soldier Philip Moore came down the Ohio River on a flatboat with his wife, Jemima, and children, Philip, Levi, John and Elinor. Moore and his family landed at Old Alexandria where he built this house and lived there with his family.

Over the years, the house was changed and "modernized" many times. In 1973, Dr. Louis Chaboudy bought the house and began a complete restoration inside and out to return it to its original condition. It was purchased in July of 2005 by Steve Hayes.

The Stone House has served the community as a preferred, historic stop for tourists and visitors to our area. The reason for the Floodwall Mural Project was to use tourism to turn our economy around. With the new Visitor's Center, tourism will continue to grow. Keeping as much actual history intact in our area is important to the success of our area.

This house is known as a Pennsylvania Stone House, and the windows bear the keystone design above them. The sandstone used to build this house was cut from a nearby hill and dragged over to build the house. On top of that hill is the cemetery where Philip and Jemima are buried. Philip's headstone can be seen in the Stone House where it was placed by a Moore relative who found it vandalized.

During this time period, Methodist Circuit Riders or itinerant ministers met here to formulate plans for religion. Bishop Francis Asbury, America's first Methodist Bishop sent from England in 1771 by John Wesley, held the first religious service in the County in this house.

The History of Scioto County names Bishop Asbury, Reverend Henry Smith, Henry B. Bascom, and Peter Cartwright as the early leaders. The Reverend William McKendree was the first Bishop of the Scioto Circuit as well as the Presiding Elder.

Methodist churches of Portsmouth and Scioto County have their origins in the Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House, known as the "Cradle of Methodism." This shrine cradles the infant Bigelow church which later became the mother of four other churches: Franklin Ave., Trinity, Manly Chapel, and The Terminals.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a fun event WD, just leave the change purse at home..........safer that way.

They do sound fun. I am so glad they started back up. I was just getting into going to these and then whami.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1914517

I went to see this place yesterday.

The Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, and is one of the few primitive homes remaining in Southern Ohio. The original deed describes the property where the house stands as being on an outlet of Old Alexandria, the first village established in this area.
In 1797, Revolutionary soldier Philip Moore came down the Ohio River on a flatboat with his wife, Jemima, and children, Philip, Levi, John and Elinor. Moore and his family landed at Old Alexandria where he built this house and lived there with his family.

Over the years, the house was changed and "modernized" many times. In 1973, Dr. Louis Chaboudy bought the house and began a complete restoration inside and out to return it to its original condition. It was purchased in July of 2005 by Steve Hayes.

The Stone House has served the community as a preferred, historic stop for tourists and visitors to our area. The reason for the Floodwall Mural Project was to use tourism to turn our economy around. With the new Visitor's Center, tourism will continue to grow. Keeping as much actual history intact in our area is important to the success of our area.

This house is known as a Pennsylvania Stone House, and the windows bear the keystone design above them. The sandstone used to build this house was cut from a nearby hill and dragged over to build the house. On top of that hill is the cemetery where Philip and Jemima are buried. Philip's headstone can be seen in the Stone House where it was placed by a Moore relative who found it vandalized.

During this time period, Methodist Circuit Riders or itinerant ministers met here to formulate plans for religion. Bishop Francis Asbury, America's first Methodist Bishop sent from England in 1771 by John Wesley, held the first religious service in the County in this house.

The History of Scioto County names Bishop Asbury, Reverend Henry Smith, Henry B. Bascom, and Peter Cartwright as the early leaders. The Reverend William McKendree was the first Bishop of the Scioto Circuit as well as the Presiding Elder.

Methodist churches of Portsmouth and Scioto County have their origins in the Philip Moore, Jr. Stone House, known as the "Cradle of Methodism." This shrine cradles the infant Bigelow church which later became the mother of four other churches: Franklin Ave., Trinity, Manly Chapel, and The Terminals.

That's pretty cool, Rusty. I was a Methodist for a few years. I was baptized during that time.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Me likes! On your property? Or a permission?

I got at the other end of the property, the water came up where I dug the insulator the other day. So I was digging in mucky water and this popped out. The glass shards are dating to 1880's it seems and I know there has to be older as the site is 1825-1880. The silt build up is a factor in the water as the dam doesn't clear out the dead debris. The divers that look for bottles haven't had any success as the silt/leaf debris is probably a few ft thick.
I constructed a 6ft probe up for exploring the deeper.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
WD, is that your garage? It's freakin' massive!

It’s our barn. And yes it is a big one. At the time we built it, we had a 2487 Triton and a travel trailer. I forgot but I think it was 23’. Any way, we needed a big barn to put them in.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What’s the big white contraption next to it, a time machine?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I like it WD but I was kinda hoping for a pirate shaped P shed. We could’ve shot some of our episodes in there. Rum barrels on the front porch, big ole steer wheel where ARC could do his thing etc. is it too late?

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
What’s the big white contraption next to it, a time machine?

Oh, crap! You saw that! Well, I guess I have to tell you now. It is my CWAZ Alert System Super Scrambler Room. It's been scrambling CWAZ Alert Signals withing 1000 mile radius for over a year now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions