pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As a*caterpillar, it is known as the*yellow woolly bear*or*yellow bear*caterpillar. As an adult, it is known as the*Virginian tiger moth.

20210901_135527.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Banded Tussock Moth caterpillar

20210901_094417.jpg

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Step to a wagon or early tractor?

Not enough to go on, was there? Well, it was a better guess than I had at the time.

..I think that’s a cast iron grate from a vintage cob, wood or coal fired kitchen range.

Edit.. clean up, JB weld back together, hang in sheshed...

Looks sorta like an old stove grate WD

I think you guys got it. I think it is the fanciest thing I have found here. I hope to do what Fat suggested. It would look sweet on there.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Entomology Update
Stinging caterpillars
May 2013
Did you know that some caterpillars can sting? Various caterpillars have urticating hairs or spines that are connected to a poison gland. When something, such as an arm, brushes against the hairs, the
hairs stick in the skin, injecting venom and sometimes causing a rash.
Stinging caterpillars include the Io moth caterpillar, the buck moth caterpillar, the saddleback caterpillar, and the asp or puss caterpillar.
Buck moth caterpillars are brownish-black, but can also be lighter in color. These caterpillars have long, multi-branched spines in rows along the body.
Io moth caterpillars are yellowish to green with a pinkish- red line along the side of the body. These caterpillars also have clusters of yellow or green spines in rows along the body.
Buck moth caterpillar. Photo by Gerald Lenhard.
Io moth caterpillar. Photo by Sturgis McKeever.
Saddleback caterpillars have a slug-like body with two large tubercles on each end of the body. Saddleback caterpillars are green with brown
ends (including the tubercles) and have a brown spot in
the center of the body that is ringed with white (it looks
similar to a saddle).
Asps are about an inch and a half long when fully grown. They are teardrop-shaped with long, silky hair. Asps are usually tan, but can be a variety of colors.
These caterpillars are typically found on trees and shrubs around homes, and gen- erally do not harm the plants.
Asp or puss caterpillar. Photo by Lacy Hyche.
If stung, pain will immediately be felt and blood-
colored spots may form at the site of the sting. Other
symptoms that may occur are nausea, headache, vomiting or even respiratory distress. Cover the sting area with tape. Remove tape repeatedly to remove spines from the skin. Applying an ice pack to the sting area may help to soothe the skin. An oral antihistamine may also be taken to relieve itching. If respiratory distress occurs, seek medical attention.
There are many dangerous-looking caterpillars that are safe to handle, but unless you are sure they do not sting, I would advise not to touch!
If the caterpillars need to be managed, try products with active ingredients such as Bacillus thruingiensis var. kurstaki, spinosad, azadirachtin or a pyrethroid.
Saddleback caterpillar. Photo by Joe Pase.
Urban IPM blog
http://urban-ipm.blogspot.com
For more information contact:
Wizzie Brown
@UrbanIPM facebook.com/UrbanIPM
1600-B Smith Road Austin, TX 78721 [email protected] 512-854-9600
The information given herein is for educational purposes only. Reference to commercial products or trade names is made with the understanding that no discrimination is intended and no endorsement by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service or the Texas A&M AgriLife Research is implied. Extension programs serve people of all ages regardless of socioeconomic level, race, color, religion,
disability, or national origin.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a IO Moth Caterpillar, stung a young fellow trying to get his buddy's lure out the tree branch.
He brushed his wrist against it.
I got him Jewel Weed and that relieved the stinging, but it still blistered.
20190816_142629.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is that the one with the mean bite?

Yes they will leave a nasty if touched.

SO many different ones that I try to photo them when I see them, then ID if I should stay clear of them.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar

20190816_143543.jpg

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Harvest time again :hello2: The Habanero dont stop producing :laughing7:

attachment.php

Btw. does someone has experiences with Shishito Peppers? My 10 plants are full now with peppers even when they are just approx 50 cm high but the peppers are quite short and thick. (5 to 6 cm thick and just 8 to 10 cm long)

Normaly they has to be long and slim. I nkow them only one inch thick and up to 8 inches long.

would like to know what I or nature did wrong here :tongue3:

Make later a photo of them.

PS: My carrots was a full success this year. Approx 1 inch long but very tasty LOL

Attachments

• Habanero.jpg
    Habanero.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another section of field edge cleanup.
It hasn't been done for 8 yrs, and it looks like many decades almost by the growth of some trees.
Laborious task of limb, small trees, scrub, to get it cleaned up.
Better for maple tree sap collection, as the sun can warm the trunks up.
20210901_142252_resized.jpg 20210902_112324.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread