devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a question regarding Pinpointers. I am familiar with the Garrett black pinpointers. I have had two and they are both over 10 years old now and they have worked well. They are beginning to work on and off intermittently and I'm looking at replacing one of them. My question is for those of you who have used both the Garrett pinpointers and the Minelab Pro as if you have preference one over the other as far as quality build, depth, and overall operation. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks In Advance, Kevin

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a question regarding Pinpointers. I am familiar with the Garrett black pinpointers. I have had two and they are both over 10 years old now and they have worked well. They are beginning to work on and off intermittently and I'm looking at replacing one of them. My question is for those of you who have used both the Garrett pinpointers and the Minelab Pro as if you have preference one over the other as far as quality build, depth, and overall operation. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks In Advance, Kevin

Maybe this belongs in a different forum, such as this one: Pinpointers

You might be able to get more answers there.

However, I have both the Garrett Carrot and the Minelab Pro-Find 35. My opinion of both is that they work great and choosing one over the other comes down to preference over the button and retune-ability. They both feel well built and are high quality products. I wish they didn't use 9V batteries though.

The Garrett Carrot is a single button for everything. It seems like it might be more complicated, but it's not. You can easily cycle through the sensitivities and alert modes (vibrate, sound,etc.). The things I don't like about the Garrett Carrot:

1. The external design bugs me. I don't like how it's asymmetrical. But this is purely an aesthetic and personal preference.
2. Sometimes, I will accidentally go into the settings adjustment mode when just trying to turn off the pinpointer.

What I like about the Garrett Carrot:

1. The battery compartment makes it easier to use battery modifications. For example, I run mine off of three AAA NiMH batteries. This advantage probably doesn't apply to you.
2. I find retuning the Garrett Carrot slightly easier than the Pro-Find 35. The Pro-Find doesn't really retune, as much as allows you to easily adjust the sensitivity without having to go into a settings adjustment "mode." Some may prefer this over the Carrot...again, it's about preferences.
3. It's so widely used, so buying a used one, if you ever wanted to do that, means you'll spend less money than a used Pro-Find 35. As of a few days ago, I had the only used Pro-Find 35 for sale on Ebay in the United States.

Ok, so I'm selling the Pro-Find 35. Why? Because I don't need two pinpointers and the Pro-Find 35's resale value is almost double the Garrett Carrot's. Additionally, it's MUCH easier to mod and tinker with Garrett Carrot (which is something I enjoy doing). The Pro-Find 35 doesn't lend well to opening it up and tweaking its design. This probably isn't something that matters to you, though. It certainly doesn't matter to the vast majority of people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread