000ccc.jpg

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am actually in the process of building my first hive. I have a feeling I will not have the same luck as little Esther....not looking forward to strings

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since she was Never stung by a Bee at a young age ,
I wonder if she eventually Became allergic to stings

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
Thats a great super power that I wish I had.... I still remember my first wasp sting in preschool and Im in my mid 40s now. Stung me right on the neck

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember Stings as Feeling like being poked with Electricity .
Though Ever since I stepped on a nest in a rotten Log, & the Bees went straight up my Pants Leg & Shirt.
Single stings don't bother me. I just Rub the spot and Move on.

I've always been the One to Volunteer to destroy Nests for friends.

coin pirate

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, some people are naturally immune, but if you're not, getting stung doesn't necessarily start to develop immunity, in fact the opposite, you become more susceptible to the venom affects.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
My Dad used to keep bees. Never wore any protective equipment. On the few occasions I helped him, I was in more PPE than workers in a nuclear reactor - helmet, net, suit with wrists and cuffs taped, etc. Seems that every time at least one bee would find her way in and sting me. While my Dad said that the stings didn’t hurt him, I felt like I had been shot with a pellet gun. Dad never quite understood that. BTW, honey bees can only sting once. It rips out their abdomen and they die. When they sting they release a pheromone that directs the other hive members to the intruder. Yellow jackets, wasps and hornets, on the other hand can (and usually do) sting multiple times. Those stings felt more like getting hit with a baseball bat to me. I give them very wide latitude.
dts

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Dad used to keep bees. Never wore any protective equipment. On the few occasions I helped him, I was in more PPE than workers in a nuclear reactor - helmet, net, suit with wrists and cuffs taped, etc. Seems that every time at least one bee would find her way in and sting me. While my Dad said that the stings didn’t hurt him, I felt like I had been shot with a pellet gun. Dad never quite understood that. BTW, honey bees can only sting once. It rips out their abdomen and they die. When they sting they release a pheromone that directs the other hive members to the intruder. Yellow jackets, wasps and hornets, on the other hand can (and usually do) sting multiple times. Those stings felt more like getting hit with a baseball bat to me. I give them very wide latitude.
dts

I have learned that a big reason for the smoke a keeper uses is to cover up that pheromone. If they get stung they cover the smell with smoke so the others aren't alerted. The bees will also retreat into the hive and gorge on honey when they smell it. This makes them slow and less likely to attack. I can't imagine how the old timers did it without gear they usually kept wild swarms they captured. The wild bees have a very grumpy demeanor compared to today's more docile cousins. If a hive gets defensive today a queen can be removed and requeened easily with a mail order replacement.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank goodness we have animals like skunks that like nothing better than devouring underground yellow jacket nests. I guess their coats must protect them somewhat from the multiple stings.
You’re right about the smoker. Dad always smoked the hive before opening it. He tried to teach me a lot about many things but for the most part I was too stubborn, too stupid, and too immature to listen. I guess that’s life.
Cheers,
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread