Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=2]Firm to offer balloon rides from Alaska to the edge of space[/h]
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A company wants to use an advanced balloon to fly customers from Earth's surface in Alaska to the highest reaches of the planet's atmosphere. Florida-based startup firm Space Perspective plans to use the Pacific Spaceport Complex in Kodiak to serve as one of the launch sites for the vehicle, called the Spaceship Neptune, The Anchorage Daily News reported Sunday. The balloon rides will be manned by a flight crew taking eight passengers in a pressurized capsule suspended beneath a hydrogen balloon the size of a football stadium. Each passenger could pay an estimated $125,000 for a six-hour journey. Mark Lester, CEO of Alaska Aerospace Corp., said the high-altitude rides will be available from Kodiak in a few years and will support Alaska tourism.

https://hosted.ap.org/republicanher...e8/firm-offer-balloon-rides-alaska-edge-space

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes, maybe potential passengers should Google, "What happened on May 6, 1937 in New Jersey"? Hint, Hydrogen filled zeppelin ignites when attempting to dock!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I Thought they Learned their Lesson then.

Keep hiding & Forgetting History :coffee2:

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol not quite the same , But Made me think of Kong :tongue3:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things seem to always go wrong for me, not for me. Good luck to those who want to go on rides.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Helium has become quite difficult to obtain," Space Perspective founder and co-CEO Taber MacCallum said during a news conference.... explaining the choice of lift gas. "It's used for a lot of medical practices and for launching rockets."

mmmkay... you make a critical safety decision based on availability and price of materials, rather than specify the best material for the job? That's exactly the same reason Germany focussed on inflammable hydrogen... because the major producers wouldn't sell helium to them and they couldn't make enough of their own.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions