Are you able to STOP your thoughts?

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
You think them,can you stop them??

GOD Bless

Chris

Obsession with your own thoughts is Mental Masturbation.

It's an addiction, and like all addictions one should seek professional help to overcome it.

Good luck.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Obsession with your own thoughts is Mental Masturbation.

It's an addiction, and like all addictions one should seek professional help to overcome it.

Good luck.

What credentials have you,that,I should take what you say as true?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely ! 100% sure.

More then once I Stood up to do something and Immediately Stopped Thinking what I Got up For.
I've even stopped thinking what it was before I Stood up :laughing7:

usually they all come back, it's just timing.

sometimes within seconds, sometimes decades :coffee2:

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
No. I had many sleepless night over things that transpired at work. I just could not let things go. I finally couldn't deal with the toxic environment anymore and walked out and retired at 59. I'm glad it finally over after 40 years. I sleep much better these days.

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Varies by person and by gender according to many studies. Women tend to not be able to shut it down while a guy can often sit in front of a tv and go blank. Might be why men suffer from ALZ more than women?

i am one that can't turn it off. I started out as touring comic back in the late '80's and my act was 100% impromptu so I had to think fast. For me, the more uncomfortable i am, the more my mind races and puts images and ideas together, so standing in front of crowd under spotlight was enough to transform me into the comdic version of the Hulk. There were times when I walked off the stage and had no memory of what I even said the whold set, but collected my money and was told that I killed it.

I just grew tired of throwing up an hour prior to the show and being fully drained afterwards to keep it as a career. Still, my mind races all day and often keeps me up at night. Just the way I am wired I guess.

cougar14

Aug 6, 2017
Concord
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No. I had many sleepless night over things that transpired at work. I just could not let things go. I finally couldn't deal with the toxic environment anymore and walked out and retired at 59. I'm glad it finally over after 40 years. I sleep much better these days.

I did the same, but at 55, in the middle of a staff meeting, I just all of a sudden felt a wave go over me, I said, "you know what? Do whatever you want. I'm giving 2 weeks notice as of today."

That was in 2004, I'm almost 73 now, never regretted it a minute. Had to do a bit of juggling with my finances, but it all worked out. Don't work all your life, just to drop dead.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My thoughts just don't stop unless I'm asleep, and not sure they do then.

But someday, they will stop = we're each assured of that. I pray my thoughts beyond that time still get through to my kids......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts just don't stop unless I'm asleep, and not sure they do then.

But someday, they will stop = we're each assured of that. I pray my thoughts beyond that time still get through to my kids......

Since Dreams are Thoughts, I'd say most of the Time Your Sleeping your Thinking about Something

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely. Choose what you think about. If you just let your thoughts run wild they will destroy you. When a bad thought runs through my mind I deliberately put it aside as soon as I realize it. Easy to think about arrowheads in a case like that. Redirect to something positive.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely. Choose what you think about. If you just let your thoughts run wild they will destroy you. When a bad thought runs through my mind I deliberately put it aside as soon as I realize it. Easy to think about arrowheads in a case like that. Redirect to something positive.

You are still thinking thoughts.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are still thinking thoughts.

That IS what a brain was designed to do.

But the brain never stops working... ever... ON purpose... was designed that way.

Stopping your brain from working is like trying to stop your heart.

It can be done... but you will not like the result.

Don't like what you are thinking ? ? ?

Think of something else.

Cant think of something else ? ? ?

Focus on something you do want to think about.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant stop the thoughts but nothing like a little gonja to quiet them down...:cat:

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That IS what a brain was designed to do.

But the brain never stops working... ever... ON purpose... was designed that way.

Stopping your brain from working is like trying to stop your heart.

It can be done... but you will not like the result.

Don't like what you are thinking ? ? ?

Think of something else.

Cant think of something else ? ? ?

Focus on something you do want to think about.

If indeed we create our thoughts,why can't we uncreate them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread