JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else have an anxiety disorder and find certain aspects of metal detecting difficult? I've got GAD(generalized anxiety disorder) and getting permissions is next to impossible because I get so nervous and overthink. Also metal detecting in places with lots of people beaches and parks can make me very uncomfortable. Even also if I manage a permission I often feel uncomfortable and get a sense of being an intrusion and feeling worried. I feel I miss out on a lot because of it. I just wondered if anyone else deals with this too in this hobby.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do too well getting permissions either. I've talked my way into and out of one in the same exchange. I find if i rehearse a quick script before I ask it can help but the exchange never goes like i think it will. I often ask if I can scan their yard or field with my metal detector. It sounds less intrusive that way. With covid I've given up on asking people. I like to be in the middle of the woods or the river with no one around me to really enjoy myself. I've skipped targets on the beach so people wouldn't see me dig up junk lol. I don't consider myself anxious but I do have a bit of hypersensitivity.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do too well getting permissions either. I've talked my way into and out of one in the same exchange. I find if i rehearse a quick script before I ask it can help but the exchange never goes like i think it will. I often ask if I can scan their yard or field with my metal detector. It sounds less intrusive that way. With covid I've given up on asking people. I like to be in the middle of the woods or the river with no one around me to really enjoy myself. I've skipped targets on the beach so people wouldn't see me dig up junk lol. I don't consider myself anxious but I do have a bit of hypersensitivity.
I also don't drive because my anxiety so I get left out of a lot of the best of metal detecting. I absolutely love the hobby and when I can find a decent spot which is rare for me can be an escape from my anxiety riddled mind. Anxiety is odd I can have tons of thoughts and just feel so worried it is almost a physical feeling that will keep me from doing things. It can be real intense. I've got super nervous at even parks and beaches so much so I won't go around people as I metal detect as I just feel weird for some reason. Trust me anxiety disorders aren't logical and I know it isn't but can't help to feel as I do. I hate it.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont sweat it. Most people want to detect and they tell me so, but they dont out of laziness or fear of not finding anything. Maybe find a friend to detect with. But be strong and hopeful. Fear comes from the dark side. Pray about it .

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont sweat it. Most people want to detect and they tell me so, but they dont out of laziness or fear of not finding anything. Maybe find a friend to detect with. But be strong and hopeful. Fear comes from the dark side. Pray about it .
Yeah it would probably help me to have a friend that metal detects. Not always easy though I find it hard to find people my age into it and one's that have the patience for it.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm the exact same way. I have a very strong dislike of the general public and it makes me extremely uncomfortable to be watched when I'm doing something (doesn't matter what). I always go really early in the morning, at night, or when it's kinda crappy weather and I know people are not going to be out wandering around.

As far as permissions go: I have NEVER been door knocking. Not once. I always think of the way I react when some unknown person comes to my door wanting something from me, and I guess I expect most people to react the same way (irritable). I also very very rarely ask for favors, even from close friends and family, so asking a stranger for one seems really weird to me.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the exact same way. I have a very strong dislike of the general public and it makes me extremely uncomfortable to be watched when I'm doing something (doesn't matter what). I always go really early in the morning, at night, or when it's kinda crappy weather and I know people are not going to be out wandering around.

As far as permissions go: I have NEVER been door knocking. Not once. I always think of the way I react when some unknown person comes to my door wanting something from me, and I guess I expect most people to react the same way (irritable). I also very very rarely ask for favors, even from close friends and family, so asking a stranger for one seems really weird to me.
Yeah I'm similar, except I expect to be an annoyance to people. I don't like being watched makes me worried if I'm doing something wrong or will do something someone dislikes on accident. Just my mind overthinks and I worry too much. Not that I want to or mean to it just happens. People often don't understand you can't just turn it off. I wish I didn't have my anxiety disorder because I'm sure I'd have better luck with the hobby if I wasn't afraid to ask for permissions and if I didn't feel uneasy around places that have a lot of people. Also my anxiety disorder has made it to where I never learned to drive. So I'm left out on a lot. I feel I can't even join a local metal detecting group because I don't drive and would be a burden.

Jadee

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2020
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Looking to buy one but need to do research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi JVA5th :hello:

I too have GAD and Major Depression: What helps me a lot is doing breathing exercises, like this one that works wonders; Do a slow deep inhale for a count of 5, hold breathe for count of 2, now exhale slowly for a count of 5. Do this a few times and completely focus on your breathe. Meditating and also visualization really helps a lot. Dialectical Behavioral therapy skills work: it is a great technique for learning how to look at things from a logical standpoint even when you can be in a very stressful situation. There are some of those basic techniques of DBT that I can teach you if you want me to, please don't hesitate to ask :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi JVA5th :hello:

I too have GAD and Major Depression: What helps me a lot is doing breathing exercises, like this one that works wonders; Do a slow deep inhale for a count of 5, hold breathe for count of 2, now exhale slowly for a count of 5. Do this a few times and completely focus on your breathe. Meditating and also visualization really helps a lot. Dialectical Behavioral therapy skills work: it is a great technique for learning how to look at things from a logical standpoint even when you can be in a very stressful situation. There are some of those basic techniques of DBT that I can teach you if you want me to, please don't hesitate to ask :icon_thumright:

Thank you, yeah I know a lot of that. GAD feels like a constant battle and always fighting to manage. Isn't fun even when it makes ones hobbies difficult.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread