Sodom & Gomorrah Ended Like Clovis

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
No -- really !

After 13 Years of Digging, Archaeologists Said 'Cosmic Airburst Event' Wiped Sodom and Gomorrah Off the Map - YourDestinationNow

The sudden cataclysmic event the Bible recounts seems to be supported by findings from the Tall el-Hammam Excavation archaeological site in Jordan, believed to be where ancient Sodom and Gomorrah stood.

Phillip J. Silvia, an archeologist from Trinity Southwest University in Albuquerque, New Mexico, who is the site’s field supervisor and director of scientific analysis, presented findings from the team’s 13 years excavating the site at the American Schools of Oriental Research 2018 annual meeting.
What the team discovered was that a “cosmic airburst event” in the area of where the city is thought to have stood occurred some 3,700 years ago, according to their paper “The 3.7kaBP Middle Ghor Event: Catastrophic Termination of a Bronze Age Civilization.”

The researchers found that the Middle Bronze Age towns and cities that stood north of the Dead Sea in an area known as Middle Ghor, included what are thought to be the biblical cities, were obliterated “in an instant,” the topsoil stripped bare with “a super-heated brine of Dead Sea anhydride salts pushed over the landscape by the Event’s frontal shockwave(s).”

They found that the heat was so intense, clay and rock melted into glass, which researchers concluded meant debris was exposed to “between 8,000°C and 12,000°C for less than a few milliseconds.” The area was so decimated, the paper said, it would be more than half a millennium before civilization could once again inhabit the area.

I seem to remember one or several hilltop forts in Scotland that had that problem too.

FWIW

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty wild. I don't mind saying that I take what the Bible says very, very seriously. Thanks for sharing that.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, God did the equivalent of nuking them in seconds. I read about it a long time ago. History and archaeology are now proving the Bible is true.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually saw a report from the late 80's the cities were fried. It was in an archaeology book in print. This is like rediscovering the wheel.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is unrelated, but not really. In Feb. 2013, the largest air burst of a meteorite in modern times, the largest since the mysterious Tunguska event of 1908(which flattened 10’s of millions of trees in Siberia)occurred over Chelyabinsk, Russia, injuring thousands. Had the air burst happened just a few miles lower in the atmosphere, 1 million people would have died. This excellent video documents this amazing air burst and meteorite fall. And this was just a close call, but gives you an idea of why catastrophism is a big subject these days in both the disciplines of archaeology, and geologic history/extinction events.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread