RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've recently came abouts a WWII German helmet, with the fellows name painted on the inner rim. It was found near the battle of Konigsberg, present day Kaliningrad. From what I've been able to find, he was born sometime around 1905, and died March 1st or 6th (depending on where you look) 1945. He was captured by the Russians, and executed from my understanding. I would like to find out anything I can about this man. When he joined, did he have any family, what did he look like... anything. I found some really interesting papers on Ancestry.com, but as soon as I go to access them, it informs me that I have to pay $39.99 a month to view them. I have to pay my own car insurance, so I can't spend that kind of money on anything now. I feel rude by asking, but is it possible someone with an ancestry.com account can look this fellow up for me?

Known Information:

Name: Wilhelm Sasse

Birth: Not known exactly, but dates vary between 1905 and 1907.

Death: March 1945 at Konigsberg, or some small village near Konigsberg.

Unit: One of the results came up with 5th Company, 613th Grenadier Regiment, 203rd Infantry Division. This seems the most likely to be my guys unit, because they had a private Sasse in there ranks with a similar birth date and death location to my known information.

Important: Even if you get like 24 results for Wilhelm Sasses in the German WWII Army, All you need to do is just give me the complete unit names, and I could do the rest perhaps.

Thank you very much for your time.

DSC_0064.jpg

All of these were found in a single foxhole on the outskirts of Konigsberg, Russia. These all belonged to Wilhelm.

DSC_0071.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty just do this one.
https://www.ancestry.com/cs/offers/freetrial
Get what you want-then cancel the membership before the 30 day free trial period.
I've done it a few times for other things-sometimes it's a headache as they still bill the CC-like Amazon Prime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread