How many DON'T have facebook/twitter ect accounts ?

Do you have any "social media" accounts ?

• Total voters

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Internet Relay Chat.

It was truly the beginning of it all.

Before that was the BBS... which was Bulletin Board System.

Thanks! I remember BBS, must have slept through IRC! :laughing7:

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don’t do any social media, I don’t feel the need to publish anything going on in my life. If I want to stay in touch I’ll text or being old fashioned I will even pick up the phone and call someone.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a user of any. Personally think they do much more harm than good
There are better ways for people to connect
Forums like this one are fine and I see only good coming from them, unless they are related to negative topics.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I dont do Facebook. or twitter.

In my "professional life" I did LinkedIn - that's about it.

Many years ago when twitter started i created an account. But then thought nobody really cares to hear me pontificate about events and I certainly don't care to have others tell me what to think, nor do i really care what they are doing.

I do use this forum as my social media.

Back in the old old days in the 80's I got onto the forerunners of these forums called bulletin boards.

Back in the 90s as more and more social media were coming online I determined I don't have the time, nor the inclination to spend a lot of time on multiples so I focused primarily on this forum and LinkedIn, and LinkedIn was rarely used. While I read post here, I don't post as much as reading.

Most social media are economic engines to enrich few and sell the masses products they really don't need - in my opinion.

The majority of my time would rather be spent in the field making finds than wasting time on social media.

StevensXEH

May 11, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have many social networks, I think many others. There are many applications where you would like to register and see what happens there. Plus, everyone makes his content based on something specific, such as Tik Tok in shooting videos or Instagram with pictures. And of course, they all have many other functions if you know how to discover them. For example, it was a time on Instagram when I wanted my account to be followed only by friends. So I decided to use Instagram removes followers. So I could clean up my account from all kinds of followers very quickly.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think social media sites that allow you to post things to the world are not good. I used to have an instragram account, snapchat, twitter but I got rid of instagram and twitter because its full of trolls and keyboard warriors.

I use private messengers, not a fan of Whatsapp so much anymore but I use Session Messenger. Its a good private messenger. My ID is 05380b40e5915c112c040ff5826089942d905d96c4dc5d78368fcddce561b70d1a on Session if anyone else has it, feel free to add me.

Lisa
I must be just too old as I have a hard time remembering pass words account names.
Though I give you lots of credit for rattling off 65 numbers and letters-like that's one crazy long ID:headbang::laughing7:

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did without social media till 2021. When I started doing videos for a local band, I needed to get on board. I have joined a few metal detecting groups this past year.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use it because it IS the local classifieds. Buy and sell bikes, guitars, cars... and advertising my business, way more hits then local paper radio. Facebook only.

Last edited:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think social media sites that allow you to post things to the world are not good.
Isn't that exactly what we're doing here? Granted the expected audience is smaller and more specialized, but there's nothing preventing whatever is posted here going to anyone in the world, whether they "friend" or "follow" you or not -- you don't even have to be a member to read what's posted on these forums.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread