Rarely Seen Aircraft " Appearing Out Of Nowhere " Behind The Tree Tops.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I love going to air shows. Did you see optical illusion pic of boat floating off water from last few days?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've never been to an airshow that i remember

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to Have Low Flying Jets go Over My house, Became more Rare the Last Decade or 2 With Complaints.

Saw a Plane Refueling in the air Once. in the 60's I think, I don't remember what types. Not that I would have Known :tongue3:

and I remember once while at my grandmothers a line of antique planes of all types came over ,
My guess when it Happened they were Either Going to a air show,
Or I was so Young It was at an Airshow & Somehow My Mind Equates it with My Grandmothers :laughing9:

That's why I said above I've never been to an airshow that i remember

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vulcan was quite a bird, I think they retired the last flying example 5 years ago or so.
An icon and great source of pride for England, they are most famous for the marathon bombing runs they made during the Falklands flying from the Canaries I believe, they had to refuel half a dozen times each way, the furthest refueling aircraft themselves had to refuel multiple times. They were ready to be retired at the time and had long since stopped any refueling practice so they really had to scramble to get up to snuff - Some of the aircraft didn't even have refueling probes anymore, Brits went to far as to request from the Smithsonian that they borrow a probe on a display aircraft there, request was granted.
Don't think they lost any, though one had to divert to Brazil when its refueling probe ruptured. Brazil refused permission to land, not wanting to get involved in the spate in any fashion, but its not like the pilots had any choice and landed anyway.

Have been to dozens and dozens of shows over the years, last year was the 1st year in my life that there were no shows, much better to find a spot like that than go in - Not only to save $$ but the view is much better, don't have to worry about restrictions and paying $5 for a bottle of water, ect.
In fact I usually buy a ticket or 2 just to support the show and watch it all off base, often 4 days in a row [1st 2 they use for arrivals and practice, especially good when the Blue Angels or Tbirds are in town, then the weekend show]

In fact these 2 days are often much better than the show itself, and is the only way you'll see most of the aircraft in the air, as alot of them don't actually fly during the show, just arrive and take off. Blue Angels/Tbirds are especially interesting to monitor on the radio when they do their "marking" routine and go flying around looking for waypoints to make their turn ins. They will use buildings, lakes, ponds, sheds, railroad tracks, anything easily identifiable and is not going to move and they call them out on the radio multiple times until they are satisfied, they make dozens of nice passes doing this that you wouldn't even see during the show. 4 ship "diamond" and the 2 solos practice separately, then take off later for a full practice.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That first video isn’t recent and hardly a surprise to any aircraft enthusiasts. It was filmed at the annual “Wings & Wheels” display from Dunsfold Aerodrome, about half an hour from where I live. Very impressive it is too.

I don’t know which year that was, but it can’t be later than 2015. The large delta-wing aircraft is a Vulcan bomber for which the last remaining example certified for flight was the ex-RAF’s XH558 (subsequent civilian registration G-VLCN). It last flew at the Dunsford show in August 2015 and hasn’t been permitted to fly at all since October 2015, although it is still maintained in ‘taxiable’ condition.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vulcan was quite a bird, I think they retired the last flying example 5 years ago or so.
An icon and great source of pride for England, they are most famous for the marathon bombing runs they made during the Falklands flying from the Canaries I believe, they had to refuel half a dozen times each way, the furthest refueling aircraft themselves had to refuel multiple times. They were ready to be retired at the time and had long since stopped any refueling practice so they really had to scramble to get up to snuff - Some of the aircraft didn't even have refueling probes anymore, Brits went to far as to request from the Smithsonian that they borrow a probe on a display aircraft there, request was granted...

It was indeed a remarkable achievement by any standard (Operations Black Buck 1-7). The damage from the raids was minimal and mostly rapidly repaired, but the unsettling psychological message to the Argentine forces was that they were not out of reach. In the search for Vulcan spare parts scavenged from all over the place, one component was famously recovered from an officer's mess where it was being used as an ashtray!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was indeed a remarkable achievement by any standard (Operations Black Buck 1-7). The damage from the raids was minimal and mostly rapidly repaired, but the unsettling psychological message to the Argentine forces was that they were not out of reach. In the search for Vulcan spare parts scavenged from all over the place, one component was famously recovered from an officer's mess where it was being used as an ashtray!

Even maintaining a taxiing jet aircraft is quite an achievement, would take a whole lot of commitment, $$ and maintenance, not many with the resources and options to do this with complex, historic aircraft.

There has been talk for years of putting an F-14 back in the air for airshows, I seriously doubt if that will ever happen. We do [or did] have a couple F-100's and 1 F-4 Phantom flying last few years, not sure what their status is now. They have to charge so much to airshows to make an appearance that no many shows can afford them, but are a major attraction when they do.
Was it a Vulcan or another Brit jet aircraft that crashed some years back during a show ?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even maintaining a taxiing jet aircraft is quite an achievement, would take a whole lot of commitment, $$ and maintenance, not many with the resources and options to do this with complex, historic aircraft.

There has been talk for years of putting an F-14 back in the air for airshows, I seriously doubt if that will ever happen. We do [or did] have a couple F-100's and 1 F-4 Phantom flying last few years, not sure what their status is now. They have to charge so much to airshows to make an appearance that no many shows can afford them, but are a major attraction when they do.
Was it a Vulcan or another Brit jet aircraft that crashed some years back during a show ?

You’re perhaps thinking of the Shoreham Airshow disaster in 2015. A privately-owned vintage military Hawker Hunter T7 jet fighter failed to pull out of a loop manouevre and crashed on a highway near the airport. The pilot survived, having been thrown clear of the wreckage in his ejector seat, but 11 non-spectators travelling on the adjacent road were killed in the fireball. There was a Vulcan in the air that day and it made a tribute flypast before the airport was closed.

It was our worst such disaster since 1952 when a prototype de Havilland DH110 jet fighter disintegrated during an aerial display at the Farnborough Airshow. The pilot and flight test observer died and a further 29 spectators on the ground were killed by falling debris.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only thing that pops to mind [and I know I could just google this stuff] in USA was an F-86 in the early 70's failed to gain lift on takeoff [something the early models were notorious for] and plowed into an icecream shop of all places, killing over 20 most of them children - Pilot survived.
Then we had that fatal plunge of a highly modified P-51 into the grandstands in Reno, I think miraculously only about a dozen were killed, the aircraft knifed into the ground with such velocity that there was no fuel explosion.

Nothing beats the disaster in Germany with the Italian team, very tough to think about much less watch.

I saw 2 fatalities in all my years of going to shows, one a T-33 plowed into the runway coming out of a loop then a deviated roll and the other was a stunt gone wrong - This guy was on a wing of an aircraft and the stunt was for him to climb into a helicopter from the wing 200ft up, he lost his grip apparently and fell to his death.

This is the T-33 crash, I hate to see em of course but since I was there, kinda special. Hate to say it but I was staring at a girls backside as he came in from my right and wasn't paying any attention to the aircraft, I noticed a sudden change in throttle pitch and that caught my attention, I looked up just in time to see the fireball.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread