JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a call from my grandfather last night asking if I wanted to leave for 3 weeks cross country. He said I'd be able to metal detect. Being in California I don't have as much interesting history to find here. It was a great opportunity to explore other states but I just couldn't do it. I have generalized anxiety disorder and being home I have my own routines and things that keep my grounded and escapes I can go to to lower my anxiety levels from losing control. It hit me hard thinking that I have to miss out on things because of my anxiety disorder. I've felt sad about it and makes me hate my anxiety disorder more than I already do. For those that don't understand generalized anxiety disorder is far more then feeling anxious and can do so many horrible things to my mind. I write this here because I trust and feel comfortable with this community and you guys and gals have always been so kind to me. Thank you to anyone that reaches out and gives me some venting as at time I'm completely and utterly frustrated and overwhelmed by this.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you take any medication or receive any therapy for your condition? Either or both may help.

EDIT TO ADD:

I take escitalopram. (I think this is the generic name for Lexapro). It has helped me considerably.

Last edited:

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John-
I really hope this forum helps you. You can always use this as an outlet to get things off of your chest. I noticed this is a 99% judgement free zone, and please if it helps you post anytime you need to vent. I feel for you man, and this past year has been especially rough so I'd imagine it's taking a toll on you. Keep the faith and we are all here to listen anytime you need support or just to clear your mind with posts like this one. Anything I can do to help please hit me up.

B

ESP1776

Banned
Jun 25, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have problems with anxiety and such.
It stopped when I took "me" out of the equation.
I stopped seeing things through my own eyes and looked at life through God's eyes.
I now put God first in everything I do.

I haven't had any real issues with anxiety since.

If this advice helps, don't thank me, thank WorldTalker!

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you take any medication or receive any therapy for your condition? Either or both may help.

EDIT TO ADD:

I take escitalopram. (I think this is the generic name for Lexapro). It has helped me considerably.
Used to take that really didn't help and had to stop because it gave me horrible night sweats unfortunately

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John-
I really hope this forum helps you. You can always use this as an outlet to get things off of your chest. I noticed this is a 99% judgement free zone, and please if it helps you post anytime you need to vent. I feel for you man, and this past year has been especially rough so I'd imagine it's taking a toll on you. Keep the faith and we are all here to listen anytime you need support or just to clear your mind with posts like this one. Anything I can do to help please hit me up.

B
Thank you I appreciate it. I always do reach out here have many times because I trust the people here and most are extremely friendly and helpful.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate. clonazepan is a great way to treat it. seems to help take the anxiety down.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate. clonazepan is a great way to treat it. seems to help take the anxiety down.
I've had no luck with meds they either do nothing or make it worse. I've had to learn to cope and just dealing with it but makes life unpleasant. I'm mostly managing and keeping it from going out of control. I hate how I miss out on things and a lot of life because of this disorder

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John,Please get help and don’t fight this alone..Make a appointment with your doctor and ask for recommendations as soon as possible and I’m always here

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had no luck with meds they either do nothing or make it worse. I've had to learn to cope and just dealing with it but makes life unpleasant. I'm mostly managing and keeping it from going out of control. I hate how I miss out on things and a lot of life because of this disorder

Don't dismiss medication(s) as no help. There are many out there. Here is a link for 15 medications used to treat generalized anxiety disorder.

https://www.drugs.com/condition/generalized-anxiety-disorder.html

Ask your doctor. I'm sure you haven't tried them all.

And here's a link to coping strategies for GAD.

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-to-cope-with-generalized-anxiety-disorder-1393164

You may have tried some or all of the coping strategies already, but don't give up on them. They do help if you stick with it. I know.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had been on several medications that all had their own side effects, one common one was feeling blank and disconnected and I didn't like that feeling. Then my doc put me on Xanax for a few years, it was great, no high feeling that people seem to want it for. It actually made my anxiety disappear. Rules changed and so my doc would not give me more, I had to go to a mental health doc which just caused more anxiety.....so I just quit all of it. I still deal with anxiety, and OCD and am working on coping skills. But I will add, for those who say....."take you out of the equation" they are wrong. We all may have some form of anxiety, it's inevitable, but a real disorder is something that unless you have one just like it, you will never understand. In fact most people with it usually have low esteem and never think much about themselves......But we do worry alot. Don't kick yourself over a lost opportunity, there will be many more, you may win some and you may lose some.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Anxiety and depression can be crippling. I’ve heard great things about a program by Lucinda Bassett. I ordered it through Amazon for a relative who found it extremely helpful. I hope you get over this.
dts

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got a call from my grandfather last night asking if I wanted to leave for 3 weeks cross country. He said I'd be able to metal detect. Being in California I don't have as much interesting history to find here. It was a great opportunity to explore other states but I just couldn't do it. I have generalized anxiety disorder and being home I have my own routines and things that keep my grounded and escapes I can go to to lower my anxiety levels from losing control. It hit me hard thinking that I have to miss out on things because of my anxiety disorder. I've felt sad about it and makes me hate my anxiety disorder more than I already do. For those that don't understand generalized anxiety disorder is far more then feeling anxious and can do so many horrible things to my mind. I write this here because I trust and feel comfortable with this community and you guys and gals have always been so kind to me. Thank you to anyone that reaches out and gives me some venting as at time I'm completely and utterly frustrated and overwhelmed by this.

That must be a hard one to deal with having to decline such an offer. Though there was the offer up to go which was really great, yet disappointing.
I commend you for your ability to recognize that you would be uncomfortable being away, and not grounded.
It sure is better than not knowing, and things go south when out on the road.

I think many suffer in silence through life because of many different reasons, yet some as you can explain/share what they're going through actually.
That takes a guts-really!
I have gone through some dark times because of life, addictions, and seem to have suffered in an isolated silence that reared the ugly side when least expected.

Stick to the grounded things, the things that work, and test the waters once in a while when things are good.
Best to you.
BTW are you getting to know the Deus a little better?

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must be a hard one to deal with having to decline such an offer. Though there was the offer up to go which was really great, yet disappointing.
I commend you for your ability to recognize that you would be uncomfortable being away, and not grounded.

I think many suffer in silence through life because of many different reasons, yet some as you can explain/share what they're going through actually.
I have gone through some dark times because of life, addictions, and seem to have suffered in an isolated silence that reared the ugly side when least expected.

Stick to the grounded things, the things that work, and test the waters once in a while when things are good.
Best to you.
I've learned to speak rather than stay silent. Place like here I know I'm safe and people won't judge me and if anyone is rude it wouldn't be something that would be okay and most members here would shut it down. I think I'm left with just coping and dealing with the ups and downs of this disorder. It's part of me and just something not fair in my life but I know life isn't fair and I just have to live the best I can even when some times are absolutely terrible as this disorder can get real bad sometimes.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also thank you to everyone reaching out I appreciate you all so much. It takes me a long time to feel comfortable and I used to not even post much or write much here because I often over think things and think I shouldn't or what I'm saying or posting is too much or not good enough but I got past that hear. Thank you everyone for being so welcoming and kind.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Best to you.
Also as far as the Dues goes I'm learning a tiny bit at a time but still have a lot to learn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread