Sticky fingers!

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm tired of it!
No matter what I do to secure what little we have, entitled people come looking for it.
I caught someone last night.
I got his description thanks to my not so obvious cameras.
Got his plate number too.

This is when having friends who are involved with Law enforcement come in handy!

Worse, the guy lives not far from me.
I know him vaguely.
Kids to feed and no way to feed them.

A moral dilemma.
Do I give over the information and wreck his already in shambles life, or do I just look the other way..
I don't know.
I don't know what he took.

What should I do ?
I'm not dumb, ge goes to jail and what of his children ?
His wife?
I don't care care about him!

Maybe I will go to his house and talk to him about what he done.

Ideas.. advice ?

Last edited by a moderator:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you got nothing missing, I would go to him and tell him to be on the lookout for neighborhood thieves....tell him you have hidden cameras and they work great at seeing what thieves are up to when they think no one is looking....perhaps he will get the hint or perhaps he will confess or have a reasonable explanation.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah that's a hard one and I know it can go both ways.

We bought in a small hamlet 8 yrs ago and the previous owner gave me the rundown on the who's-who of the little hamlet.

Now you these folks are related to those folks-and if you give them a bit of scrap metal they won't steal from you.

My thought was WTF! Pay to have your place from being ripped off?

Soon it started-the new required No Tresspassing signage was thrown back into the yard/laneway.

So I saw the folks walking up the road one winters day-I explained that the insurance company requested the signage as we have hiking trails around us. (Trust and park lands)

I commented calmly that it must take a idiot to do such things to another person's property.

Then I looked in the man's eyes and stated in a very low calm voice that if they wanted to turn this into a $hit show, then I could accommodate that very well.

Remember they have nothing to loose-everything is a bonus.

So when the LEO comes and they point the finger at you-and you have something to loose it may very well be the case-you can afford a lawyer/courts they are on the public purse and that's how does the dollar roll.

Then if the LEO has any common sense they look at the situation, reputation, and then weigh the outcome of the situation.

A friend lost all his tools-neighbour showed up and said who it was. Friend and his buddy were going to retrieve them-neighbour said you better not because they'll burn your house down.
They wrote it off as a bump in the road of life.
I'm a moth to a flame the Mrs says, and I don't backdown from things if things have been wronged towards me. Not that the outcome is always right, but I will not be walked over either in life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Stuff did come up missing.
Scrap metal from crap I pick off the curb and dismantle into the various groups of metals.
I got four five gallon buckets full of copper scrap.
Maybe 175lbs worth of copper.

There are legitimate ways of making money, and scraping is a great way to get free money.
Besides, radio shack is gone and tossed out electronics are full of diodes and resistors and all sorts of things that can be turned into steampunk art.

The man is a convicted felon.
I don't condone taking anything that ain't yours!
He could pick up junk and recycle it, but taking the easy path and just taking from others....FUG DAT shiznit!

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah that's a hard one and I know it can go both ways.

We bought in a small hamlet 8 yrs ago and the previous owner gave me the rundown on the who's-who of the little hamlet.

Now you these folks are related to those folks-and if you give them a bit of scrap metal they won't steal from you.

My thought was WTF! Pay to have your place from being ripped off?

Soon it started-the new required No Tresspassing signage was thrown back into the yard/laneway.

So I saw the folks walking up the road one winters day-I explained that the insurance company requested the signage as we have hiking trails around us. (Trust and park lands)

I commented calmly that it must take a idiot to do such things to another person's property.

Then I looked in the man's eyes and stated in a very low calm voice that if they wanted to turn this into a $hit show, then I could accommodate that very well.

Remember they have nothing to loose-everything is a bonus.

So when the LEO comes and they point the finger at you-and you have something to loose it may very well be the case-you can afford a lawyer/courts they are on the public purse and that's how does the dollar roll.

Then if the LEO has any common sense they look at the situation, reputation, and then weigh the outcome of the situation.

A friend lost all his tools-neighbour showed up and said who it was. Friend and his buddy were going to retrieve them-neighbour said you better not because they'll burn your house down.
They wrote it off as a bump in the road of life.
I'm a moth to a flame the Mrs says, and I don't backdown from things if things have been wronged towards me. Not that the outcome is always right, but I will not be walked over either in life.

Good point about them burning your house down!
This is pure redbneck around here.
They stick together irregardless of what one may have done.
They'll swarm you.
Loyalty beyond loyalty.

Maybe I should look at it as a bump in the road of life.

I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore and the idea of physical confrontation bothers me.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
He was parked on the side of the highway.
My place is off a two lane highway.
The whole stretch in front of my place is being recorded 24/7
It makes it easy to know who is driving back and forth.

I knew it had to be a local, because he came from the backside of my place.
Its swamp and peatbog back there and only someone familiar with the terrain around here could navigate it, especially at night!
Screenshot_20210703-085213~2.png

That's the creek/swamp/bog that cuts the back side of my property from the next parcel down.
Its my own honey hole, site of a large trading camp, railway camp, two Indian trails meet here and the creek ends at the Muskegon river a quarter mile down.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny thing the last hour.
Five vehicles went by and one motorcycle..
All doing about 30mph and looking at my trees along the highway..lol!!

I knew it and only let that tidbit about my cameras for just this reason.

Thanks for being predictable!

Ps... thanks for making it easy to choose how to handle this.
I won't...
Others will.

Last edited:

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take someone(or 2) with you, preferable a local. Leave him in the truck/car and let him be seen. A large man would be nice. Have him stand beside the vehicle. Do not be drinking, courage comes from within, not a bottle.
Look him in the eye and state your business.
Nuf said...
Should be enough, but: there was a book called, "Don't get Mad, Get Even." I gave my son my copy years ago.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Take someone(or 2) with you, preferable a local. Leave him in the truck/car and let him be seen. A large man would be nice. Have him stand beside the vehicle. Do not be drinking, courage comes from within, not a bottle.
Look him in the eye and state your business.
Nuf said...
Should be enough, but: there was a book called, "Don't get Mad, Get Even." I gave my son my copy years ago.

No thanks.
I don't get mad.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll just relate a true story that happened to me. My brother died some years ago. Anyway, I was on a trip and get back and the police are rummaging through my car. (Some years later I kinda figured out that was not quite right, but didn't care.) Officer directed me to call the number he had placed on my door and the nightmare began. I went over to my brother's house in a couple hours with a few friends. A neighbor is over to see what is going on. Being in a state of shock, I let him in. My friends and I removed his computer and some guns, the door had been broken open by the police as there were dogs in the house, and they had to be removed. That night someone broke in and stole other guns we hadn't grabbed. I filed a police report of course. The next night another break in. And another police report. Here I am trying to plan a funeral and now this garbage. A certain neighbor comes over going gee whiz what's going on? Well, only he and two of my brother's friends knew he had died. So...I told the biggest lie of my life. I told said person I wasn't going to put up with it any more (true). I then said I knew some guys who were ex military and had a private security company (true), who owed me a favor (lie), and I was calling them and they would "watch" the house for a bit (lie) and it would really be really bad for the person who got caught, I painted a picture of cameras in trees, guys sitting half a block away with cameras, all total bull. And then explained how I was going to prosecute and not let it go. (Never happened.) I wasn't doing anything but laying a trap. There were no more break ins. So the point is, with all the nut jobs out there maybe playing stupid and politely telling SEVERAL neighbors about the unexplained theft might be wise without pointing a finger. Too many jerks with guns anymore to confront anyone.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I now know who it was and so do the police.
I'm just going to put it out there that if I don't have any more problems, then I won't press charges and I mean it.

Plenty of Second Amendment supporters around here and plenty of Banjos playing.
I may be nucking futs, but I ain't stooopid!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread