Cedar Stumps ?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay I need some information please.

What or how and why are Cedar tree stumps valuable ?

I'm a big proponent of minding your own business.
I have a threshold for when I won't mind my own business.
Such as if you are hurting someone, I will NOT mind my own business.
If you are Destroying the Earth..I won't mind my own business!
If you are affecting me or my life or property in a detrimental way, I absolutely will NOT mind my own business!!

With that said, some yahoo has been coming down the county road behind my property and stopping at the edge of the Cedar swamp that protrudes into my property.
He has been cutting down the Cedar trees and then pulling stumps out of the swamp right near my property line.

I don't know if you understand flow dynamics, but it is second nature to me.
Water migrates.
Pulling stumps and killing trees in and around the swamp, causes the water to migrate because there is too much water and not enough flora to consume it.
That WILL cause the swamp to grow and in essence devalue that part of my property because unstable land is unusable land!

So why are the stumps worth destroying your truck by ripping stumps out at 3am ?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How large are these cedar trees?

After he pulls the stump out, is there any visible sign that the
tree was ever there?

Cedar stumps have little value as far as I know, and it's certainly
not worth the effort to pull stumps just to cut them up for
firewood.

I would definitely get ahold of whoever manages the logging in
your county, and have them investigate. Stealing trees is generally
frowned up. Up here where I live, in timber country, a tree thief is
the lowest of the low.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Multiple uses.
Log cabin type d?cor is one.
Here is another.

fa7d9f4b5b8111cfb62197f42f27a798.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Brace yourself , long read coming...

First be sure it's not the /a drain commission.
You'll get a portion of property tax directed toward it if you have a county drain .

You write , stumps are pulled. No , I don't know what's going on , but am imagining a post with stump attached. Upside down or rightside up , they make decorative porch or other area pillars.
To reduced cracking/checking , they need to be seasoned. When to remove bark , time of year and other factors are involved.
But time is required to season.
IF someone is acquiring such , they need room to store them and time.
You might have someone selling the material to someone else. IF stuff is being stolen vs right of way or drain authorized work.

At the end of the day , trespass enforcement in Mi. is weak from the landowners perspective.
Owning hunting land remote from my homestead , I see plenty of stories from other owners...
Prosecution when the rare chance of a strong case presents itself is the most effective way to reduce trespass. Word gets around.
But that requires a solid case , and a landowner willing to prosecute. Not a common occourance.

Part of having a solid case is of course evidence.
But there are requirements to even get a case started.
Like in how your land is posted. A trespassers makes one sign disappear and you can be in noncompliance.
Michigan Legislature - Section 324.73102.

I have 2 and 1/2 signs posted on a little more than ten acres.
Neighbors knowing who I am and what I do helps.
But the inevitable will be someone trespassing.
It has happened around me.

My activity seems to help deter interest. But I have not been around this year mowing some areas like usual.
That makes it seem unattended we can imagine.

"Keep out. Video surveillance " in place might help you.
People familiar with modern game camera set ups know that remote surveillance is possible.
Dummy camera set ups can be conspicuous , but real ones placed out of reach and preferably out of sight.
A piece of glass inside the entrance hole of an old bird house can be one dummy.
Electrical boxes can be painted cheap , and have a glass backed hole in them too.
Put notes in them saying "you" missed the real cameras. So when/if someone steals them they have something to consider..

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
How large are these cedar trees?

After he pulls the stump out, is there any visible sign that the
tree was ever there?

Cedar stumps have little value as far as I know, and it's certainly
not worth the effort to pull stumps just to cut them up for
firewood.

I would definitely get ahold of whoever manages the logging in
your county, and have them investigate. Stealing trees is generally
frowned up. Up here where I live, in timber country, a tree thief is
the lowest of the low.

On average 20-30ft.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Cedar lasts.

Have you been to shrine of the pines in Baldwin?
View attachment 1935370

No.
It sounds great though.
Maybe I'll ask the Viking if her body can handle the road trip.
A half hour ride for most people is nothing, for her, she won't be able to walk for two days just from the car ride.

Thank you for suggesting it!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No.
It sounds great though.
Maybe I'll ask the Viking if her body can handle the road trip.
A half hour ride for most people is nothing, for her, she won't be able to walk for two days just from the car ride.

Thank you for suggesting it!

I have not been there either. Been told I should long enough. One very creative mans work.

I hear ya on the limited cruising range....
I don't take pain meds , and it's miserable enough without adding vehicle travel. Keep waiting for a good day to travel , and it don't come.
Did go through Baldwin a couple years ago on the way to a hunt. Probably took two days to recover from the ride.

Time has been hard on Baldwin and surrounding areas... It shows. But then, it shows in many areas.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
You should give Baldwin another chance.
It is really revitalized!
I was shocked.

Idlewild..meh..
Some fantastic, rich history in Idlewild.

My hero, my Viking has been opiate free for a long time now.
I'm so proud of her!
The seizures they said would stop, well, nope, her mind is still reeling from withdrawal after all these years.
Maybe they won't ever stop.
She says that's a component of Multiple Sclerosis.
I hope not.
I'm not afraid of nothing.
No man or beast.
Only the one above scares me!
But seeing your flesh, your wife, blue in the lips and not breathing from that violent clonic tonic seizure is terrifying!
It takes it all out of a Man.
All the training, everything you learned goes POOF in that instant of uncertainty!
Can I bring her back or am I too late!
I can't be with her 24/7!

Several times now I have had to do CPR to bring her back.
What a feeling it is when that big breath of air comes sucking into her mouth and nostrils...
Its the best damned thing you can imagine!

Dean,
Thanks for replying and distracting my mind from...
Me.
I'm sorry that you have mobility issues too!
I'm gonna pray for you.

Mike

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My best wishes for the Vikings health....

Idlewild! Indeed a history.
Still small lots for sale. Pretty much abandoned ones.
Signs of the tiny cottages or whatever they were are less.
Would probably take getting involved with those trying to preserve history there to get detecting permissions .But would be a great cause.
Bet there's some relics and silver....

There's a place/area between White Cloud and Hesperia that had a small black community. A few homes and a church. Idlewild heyday era probably started it.
Near it , and well wooded around was an old house for sale an older black gent was selling. I was around 19 and he wanted 3 grand , I believe.

Across the road was a dilapidated old house with an artesian well in the front yard feeding a bathtub.
My sister used to get her water there for a while till they got a well.
I peeked in that tub once and there was a small trout and a nightcrawler or two.
Someone was growing a fish! L.o.l..
Probably out of the nearby White River.
Which has a history of it's own.

One home had natives spend the night in the parlor/living room sometimes as they followed the river.
Seems by the story I was told they were in late , and gone early. A just let yourselves in and out type arrangement.
I fished near there. Beyond (downstream of) the park where an acquaintances relative owned some land , but later sold it. Now there's a house in there.

"Aetna corners" is in the area , same road that goes by the roadside park. A church might be all that's left as a landmark.
That park used to be a get together annual morel season lunch gathering spot for a crew of our friends and family. Sigh...

Hesperia.... I lived in as a wee lad. Tales would pinpoint where.
More recent visits show fallen/falling down homes of the era , and street signs outside the village are rare if your looking for certain ones. Deliberate I'd guess....
Plenty of sites to detect. Getting permissions would take research though.

I need to visit White Cloud and Hesperia to tend graves. Been too long , again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread