Annoyed.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it a drain ? The type you pay additional tax on?
You would want to discuss maintenance (politely) of it with the drain commission.

They replaced the one at my hunting property without my encouragement.
Put a larger one in and pounded the end to reduce intake diameter...

There is one or more crews that clear drain mouths in that area. Wrestle beavers or whatever. Unless yours is collapsed they could probably unplug it.
Do be polite. And don't be afraid to act like it is a great mystery to you why the water is backed up above the culvert. That is why you are communicating with folks that understand drains and culverts...
A back up or reservoir behind a road drain can threaten road. Priority depends on what is scheduled. And triage of worse new surprises , probably.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
You had to toss that "be polite" thing in there!
I'm not easy going.
I'm blunt and straight to the point.
I don't know if that is polite or not.

A creek, fed by natural spring runs down through the culvert.
Then it used to pass under the railroad bridge.
They changed that when they put the Rails to trails in.
They put in a two culvert pipe in place of free flowing before.
High and low placement.
The lower pipe there doesn't flow at all and trickles out of the top pipe.
If you stand 100 foot from the culvert on the road back there when say a F350 or bigger truck goes by, you feel like you are standing on a lawn bubble!
That says sinkhole in the making to me.

I tried cleaning it myself, but was told not to.
It is very contaminated and it dumps into the Muskegon river a half mile south of me.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe try blunt and to the point nicely with a smile? Catch more flies with honey than vinegar. :laughing7:

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm annoyed at all those old world talker threads being bumped to the top. Life is hard when a fellow is annoyed.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too bad!
Chris is my friend and many of the replies towards him violate the rules.
So lots of folks will be annoyed today when I get done with the report button.
Have a nice day!

Lol. I like Chips Annoy cookies.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you are talking. Nothing like fresh honey. Hard to be annoyed with a buttered biscuit and fresh honey on it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll take my Viking with me...she has a way of distracting the male species..:laughing7:

Go to the board of review and demand a tax reduction due to county induced backwater caused by run of steam flow reduction reducing land value.
Take picks of submerged areas not caused by spring flooding. Spring flooding can be included too of course , but easier for the county to defend as beyond thier control.

They have to compare your property to an equivalent one in the area/county to justify tax rate. So have them show you a property the county restricted a stream/creek on, and how it's value increased vs decreased.

Assessor who raised my taxes when I bought the property couldn't even find it on a map when I went to the board of review.
Like you I am not patient at times.
But the board of review is not the county..... They were helpful in exchange for my politeness. Though I did ask the assessor what the swamp was worth. We debated what constitutes value. What I paid for it? What he says it's worth?
What he is willing to buy it from me for?
I've offered other boards in another review to buy my place for what they claimed it was worth. Interesting faces and responses...L.o.l...

Had a discussion about the drain on my hunting property. Not a complaint as much as it's effect on value. It's a drain. A controlled wetland so to speak. Off limits to my tampering. Does that add value ?
Not sure if that is why the eroding road was repaired when new culvert was installed. They could have closed the road at the drain permanently and I'd have cheered.
Any homes on the short dirt road could still be accessed from either end.

But hey , my taxes were reduced when I wrote what I valued the land at ( and why ) on the form sent to the county. The board had to sign off on it too , but I don't know the effect of that.
Again , the board of review were/are good folks. Without thier patient defining the terrain of what was being dealt with , I would not have known how the review system works. Despite my having been to other reviews elsewhere.

There wil lbe people there who can tell you how to address the culvert issue as well. In person.
They are local folks. And thier goal is not to have you not enjoy a reasonable civility of services in your township.
In exchange for you paying taxes. And adhering to township rules/zoning ect..
As well as being a civil member of your local society.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the drain is on State property which is on my west side.
The swamp has increased in width about 100 feet in the last twenty years.
This was my Dad's hunting cottage.
He's been gone since 08' and was sick ten years before that.
I own it now.
I've lost at least 150 mature trees from the swamp sprawl.

Thank you for the replies.
Thanks for reminding me to practice my decorum.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the drain is on State property which is on my west side.
The swamp has increased in width about 100 feet in the last twenty years.
This was my Dad's hunting cottage.
He's been gone since 08' and was sick ten years before that.
I own it now.
I've lost at least 150 mature trees from the swamp sprawl.

Thank you for the replies.
Thanks for reminding me to practice my decorum.

I'm not up to date.... It used to be that timber theft recompense following a successful (though likely rare) was three times the value of the timber. Though I'd argue value of each tree vs it's lumber value.
Destroying timber by deliberate flooding is reducing value. More so when it's not the landowner causing such.
(An argument of sorts , but think about it well before considering it.)
How many of my trees dying is enough to make the county happy? Cause it ain't makin me happy. Or increasing value.
I'm not growing rice. Or ducks.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
What's more annoying...the four grown men driving back and forth past my place in that black late model Suburban.

Maybe they'll see this or someone they know...
Bring more than just you four.
Bring 8.
This way it won't feel so unfair for you.

Listen to Hotel California on your way...think about the lyrics.

Come oh ye faithful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread