PLANTER POTS

Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been studying gardening and agriculture as a pastime for awhile. I have noticed large numbers of Medium to extra large Hard Plastic planter pots get discarded or go unused for some reason or another.

The reason, my guess is the color. PITCH BLACK, to me, most people especially would love to have a few large planters in their backyard or on a terrace or rooftop. What is one of the reasons that holds them back? What are the reasons, my guess is the ugly black planter pots most trees start the first few years of their lives.

It seems that the world would be a better place with more trees, edible fruit barring or not. Most people seem to want to grow trees or plants in warm summer areas. Why would you want to produce black planter pots?

I estimate that the agriculture industry would grow 2-3% annually just by producing White Planter Pots or light Grey Pots instead of COMMERCIAL BLACK PLANTER POTS. Multiple benefits include Keeps the trees/plants cooler in summer, aesthetics "looks better in any yard or anywhere for that matter" and encourages more people to garden. and more pots would be recycled back into the garden setting instead of sitting in store rooms garages, backyards, or simply being tossed into the trash. A good commercial Planting pot could last up to a possible 15-20 years in harsh weather possibly longer.

I estimate a cost increase of probably .10 to .35 cents per pot to make the change over from the black commercial thermoformed garden pots to a light grey pot.

Seems like the juice would be worth the squeeze, in the scheme of things.

:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
H
Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy walks into a garden center or nursery looks around and sees a fruit tree, or any tree for that matter, I wouldn't mind getting a tree. That's an ugly black pot though. Sh*t, I would have to buy a new pot though or plant it immediately, kind of an eyesore. The wife would rag on me, constantly if that sits in the backyard for more than a few days. Then I got to pull it out of that ugly pot and put it in a new pot, How much are the colored pots?, f**k that. Billy's got soccer practice gotta go.

A guy walks into a garden center, or nursery looks around and sees a fruit tree, or any tree for that matter, I wouldn't mind getting a tree. Comes in a grey pot, wouldn't have to plant it immediately. Just a little water occasionally. Might be fun. Sir can you ring that apple tree, up! My kids got soccer practice and gotta go.

2 1/2 years later, hey that apple tree is outgrowing that pot, better plant it. glad that's done. Nice pot. I think I will buy another smaller sapling. A pear tree.
4 years latter, hey that pear tree is outgrowing that pot. Got to plant it. Whoosh, glad that's done. I'm tired of growing trees. Nice pot though. I'll keep it and give to the next door neighbor that has a garden and likes the fruit trees.

20-Pots-of-5-Gallon-Black-Plastic-Plant-Nursery-Pot-Container-Grow-Flower-Garden-312310040231.JPG

:laughing11:

The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze

Plant a few trees in those holes your digging, looking for treasure.
There dug anyways.
:laughing7:

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A guy walks into a garden center or nursery looks around and sees a fruit tree, or any tree for that matter, I wouldn't mind getting a tree. That's an ugly black pot though., I would have to buy a new pot though or plant it immediately, kind of an eyesore. The wife would rag on me, constantly if that sits in the backyard for more than a few days. Then I got to pull it out of that ugly pot and put it in a new pot, How much are the colored pots?,that. Billy's got soccer practice gotta go.

A guy walks into a garden center, or nursery looks around and sees a fruit tree, or any tree for that matter, I wouldn't mind getting a tree. Comes in a grey pot, wouldn't have to plant it immediately. Just a little water occasionally. Might be fun. Sir can you ring that apple tree, up! My kids got soccer practice and gotta go.

2 1/2 years later, hey that apple tree is outgrowing that pot, better plant it. glad that's done. Nice pot. I think I will buy another smaller sapling. A pear tree.
4 years latter, hey that pear tree is outgrowing that pot. Got to plant it. Whoosh, glad that's done. I'm tired of growing trees. Nice pot though. I'll keep it and give to the next door neighbor that has a garden and likes the fruit trees.

View attachment 1941585

:laughing11:

The pots are just temporary. You're supposed to plant it right away. Why procrastinate? A 1-2 hr job, depending on your soil. Good luck with your trees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howmucharethesparklers, we are a family friendly forum, please watch the language.

OP
OP
H
Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting scene in that movie, Old Man Peabody, Crazy idea about raising pine trees. My guess is the one writers that had a hand in that scene probably came across someone, most likely in their late teens, who said they raised Pine trees. Personally thought "what a crazy idea", When in Actuality they were probably raising Christmas trees for a Christmas tree lot or nursery. And din't say raise christmas trees.

The Peabody Pine

Just like the metal pole from festivus, origins probably belong to a half erected faux Christmas tree.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White... grey etc etc etc...

Been done... old news... currently they are using / have walls with pots embedded... a white wall of "pocket planters"...

There are also massive white pole planters...

AND,.. white and grey hanging planters... large and small types have been widely available for eons...

And all hydroponics systems have been made using white since its conception.

so your "idea" is nothing new.. no offense.

Black pots as it was pointed out... are temp pots... transport etc.

OP
OP
H
Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dah, They still end up unused or in the trash half the time.

Doubt the Industry will ever "change over" anyways.

Plenty of free pots out there to make some money on anyways, with a lick of paint, and a sapling.
:hello2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peabody Pines, not a bad idea for a Sitcom
A Christmass tree farmer and his family , Set in the Northern California foothills
in the 1960's ,1970's

call Netflix

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some cases the planter pots were black to keep the roots warm in container plants. They are also used full time on some plants that do not necessarily need to go into the ground. Consider a plant that might die exposed to cold weather but will live in a pot that can be moved to warmer areas in cold weather.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Want some black pots?
I hear on the black pots but that's just the way it goes, want the green, dish out the green and get a rooted something that will turn green in a black pot.
Just this year I have amassed 200 black pots, out of that only 25 are reused on a regular basis.
Now we have some black pots that are now 6 years old, tree type, black handles, these tubs are used all the time for weeding, feeding, gathering.
Little pots are used again for the seedlings, transplanting, some are trash from the get go, single use.
Have donated lots of pots to green house projects at the local school-they're happy future gardeners/growers reusing the pots.
They sell organic plants for the garden in these pots so at lest they're not trashed.

But the heat that is needed to germinate/grow things in the zones that are lucky to have 3 months at most frost free-heat is welcomed in the early months when the sprouting/germinating is happening.

Why grey? Why not a nice olive green, brown, and for those that want to hide it-CAMO.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howmucharethesparklers, nothing has changed, politics are not allowed in any forum except our politics forum. Please only post politics in the politics forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Mar 26, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh well, Off to the Pacific for some down time and soil samples. Maybe I will take in some sites.

Pearl-Harbor-Submarine-Wreck.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread