Crazy Things I Never Knew

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
You know the feeling when you get hit by something you didnt know....Like today ....I was thinking about fishing and then read an article that said...... "the reason that a slice of lemon is always served with fish is because they use to believe that lemon dissolved fish bones".......well it must work...because I like lemon on fish and have never choked to death on a fish bone :D

What are some of the crazy things that you all have just learned?

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 736
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
1. Popcorn's scientific name is zea mays everta, and it is the only type of corn that will pop.

2. People have been enjoying popcorn for thousands of years. In 1948, popped kernels around 5,000 years old were discovered in caves in New Mexico.

3. It is believed that the Wampanoag Native American tribe brought popcorn to the colonists for the first Thanksgiving in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

4. Traditionally, Native American tribes flavored popcorn with dried herbs and spices, possibly even chili. They also made popcorn into soup and beer and made popcorn headdresses and corsages.

5. Some Native American tribes believed that a spirit lived inside each kernel of popcorn. The spirits wouldn't usually bother humans, but if their home was heated, they would jump around, getting angrier and angrier, until eventually they would burst out with a pop.

6. Christopher Columbus allegedly introduced popcorn to the Europeans in the late 15th century.

7. The first commercial popcorn machine was invented by Charles Cretors in Chicago in 1885. The business he founded still manufactures popcorn machines and other specialty equipment.

8. American vendors began selling popcorn at carnivals in the late 19th century. When they began to sell outside movie theaters, theater owners were initially annoyed, fearing that popcorn would distract their patrons from the movies. It took a few years for them to realize that popcorn could be a way to increase revenues, and popcorn has been served in movie theaters since 1912

Attachments

• cornapoppin.gif
    cornapoppin.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 721

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Gypsy, Showing that plat of fish was not nice, now I am hungry for trout and don't have three, yes it takes three, I like lemon or lime too but if I don't have it I forget.
Dang, I think I'm out of pop corn too. ICU later Gnewt

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.

A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.

A female ferret will die if it goes into heat and cannot find a mate. .....hey wait a minute.....I thought this just happened to Ozark men?

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Celery has negative calories. It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.
:o :o :o
Celery is my new best friend

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had to get out the bathroom reader for this! :D
1. Chihuahua is the longest lived breed of dog
2. Dogs can smell autism in children! (How could the scientists tell what the dog was thinking?)
3. There are roughly 1,300 kernels in a pound of corn
4. Kid's hair grows faster than adults
5. An arctic woolly bear caterpillar can live 14 years before it turns into a moth
6. Only 3 angels were mentioned by name in the bible: Gabriel, Michael....and Lucifer.
7. It's illegal to clean your car with used underwear in San Francisco
8. It is rumored that Napoleon owned a pair of spider silk gloves

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Cheyenne told me last night that a fish has an attention span of 3 seconds?

How do they know these things is right......

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the "honeymoon".

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Metal does not smell anything it's the "oil" on our hands that gives it the smell...Hey Gyps, I like your new avatar. ;)

Regards,
Eu

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One strand of human DNA, stretched out is almost 6 feet long. If all of the DNA in one, average, adult human body were stretched out, end-to-end, they would be long enough to run from the Earth, to Pluto, and ALMOST back to the Earth. Of course, SOME of us could maybe, possibly, get back to Earth and back out to at least Saturn. ;D Not fat---just big for my age. ::)

S

stefen

Gypsyheart said:
The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.

If I dot a bunch of "i"s, am I titillating?

or do I have to tickle a bunch of "i"s?

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Terminology "Rule of thumb"= In the 1800's there were places that made it legal to whoop your wife with a stick No bigger around than your thumb!! 8)

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
This is a scientific fact, I know this because it is my theory.(it's not the speed of dark)
The Ape is a decendant of man. If you think about it, did ape ever get as smart as man, I am not talking about the retarded ones. Now, did you ever see a man with the mentality of an Ape.(OK ya'll quit looking at me) I'm not getting hairy. Gnewt

S

stefen

gnewt said:
This is a scientific fact, I know this because it is my theory.(it's not the speed of dark)
The Ape is a decendant of man. If you think about it, did ape ever get as smart as man, I am not talking about the retarded ones. Now, did you ever see a man with the mentality of an Ape.(OK ya'll quit looking at me) I'm not getting hairy. Gnewt

Eat your banana and go to your corner ;D

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Sara77 said:
6. Only 3 angels were mentioned by name in the bible: Gabriel, Michael....and Lucifer.

It depends upon which bible you read. The book of Tobit, included in the Catholic bible, talks of the angel Raphael.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Ok Stephen, I already eat the peel, gonna eat that banana now so don't mess with me while I'm in my tire swing.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
While you're contemplating eating that banana, turn it upside down and peel it from the bottom. All the strings come off with the peel, and it's said that this is the proper way to peel a banana in the ape world.

Really.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a strand of spider silk wrapped around the earth once
would only weigh one ounce
oh
and zorba the geek is on i hate that movie

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SomeGuy said:
Sara77 said:

It depends upon which bible you read. The book of Tobit, included in the Catholic bible, talks of the angel Raphael.
Lucifer was a non-conformist hence he was cast out ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread