Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hemisteve said:
I know this is an old thread but for future viewers there is a great way to get rid of old equipment.
First off, the old stuff people have isi'nt worth much, given the way tech stuff evolves every year.
the gold inside is so miniscule, it would take a hundred or so computers to make a dollar.

I donate my old comp stuff to a school for downs syndrome kids so that they can explore computers and learn to be techs.
Seeing the joy on their faces when they put together a system that works is worth more than any dollar I might make selling my old equipment.

Get a full write off and help a local school for kids.
Just do it.
Steve
Cool idea!! :thumbsup: Do you have any info on schools or other organizations doing this kind of work? It'd be kinda neat to donate even if there was no tax break, good cause!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
NHbenz said:
Make sure to take the hard drive out, as personal information can easily be extracted from it.

Yeap and folks do take it, wipe it slick or use it to relieve stress by smashing it to pieces

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bridge End Farm said:
NHbenz said:
Make sure to take the hard drive out, as personal information can easily be extracted from it.

Yeap and folks do take it, wipe it slick or use it to releive stress by smashing it to pieces
I got so much stress I'd need two pallets of puters to smash!! ;D

OP
OP
C

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
The bliss of swinging a sledge.....it's wonderful! Other than shooting with guns, it can't be beat!

Cavers5

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Cavers5,

I could loan you my Uzi.
It's not full auto, but it's fun to shoot ;D

TW

OP
OP
C

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
TW,

Thank you for your generous offer. If I ever head that way, I'll holler and the families can get together for some target practice.

Uzis are grand, too.

Cavers5

OP
OP
C

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Well,

The children and I had a destructive/constructive evening. We turned off the tvs and the video games...(the luxury of quiet!) and piled together in the living room floor to take apart a computer.

I must say, my sons enjoyed it. No worries about tearing something up...and they got to use tools...and they were figuring out how the parts of the cd players worked, how soldering looked, how the "gold cards" were taken out, etc.

Although, I recommend watching them as my younger son decided to ground a battery. "Mom...this battery is getting hot...Son, put that battery..." before I could say "down", it popped and scared the bejeebers out of us both! Whew! Valuable lesson learned by all!

However, within five minutes and a garbled explanation of electricity, he was splicing wires, saying "I think I can get this fan to work...!" And, he did. Under my watchful eyes this time!

It was great fun and we decided we're going to take apart a bunch of other stuff. Of course, I told them it was for the minute gold that we MIGHT get to recoup in two years...and we might could sell some of the parts on Ebay, but shucks, what's some copper, gold, silver, and scrap metal compared to having my TEENAGE sons play with me! It was absolute great fun!

Cavers5

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Thanks Boogeyman.
I kinda like it too ;D

TW

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
boogeyman said:
Timberwolf said:
Thanks Boogeyman.
I kinda like it too ;D

TW
Just a thought, Get larger copies made put one by each door. Would cut way down on solicitors, and looks way better than the alarm company stickers ;D ;D ;D

Boogeyman,

That is a good idea!
Unfortunately....I had to change my avatar....too many Black Helicopters hanging out in my neighborhood ;D

TW

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Thanks Cavers ;D

I didn't want the populace to think I was head of our local militia, so I changed it.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.....but I'm not :wink:

Hows the health doing girl? Did you get any good tips from our Mexican friend?
He sent me a PM and asked if he had answered my PM. I told him no he had not, and I haven't heard from him since. He must be busy :-\

TW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread