wild animal stories, got one??

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I grew up in Tioga Co. Pa. I remember several people talking about black panthers. My sister had a farm near Tioga, Pa. and she had a calf dragged under the fence and there was claw marks down it's back.
My ex wife's grandmother told me that when they came to Potter Co. they spent the first winter in their wagon and had to keep a large fire going all night to keep the panthers away.
I have several friends who have seen them in the hay fields.
I never seen the panthers, but I did run on to some bobcats when I was quite young. I was up back on our farm and kept hearing a screaming sound. It sounded like a woman screaming. I had my bicycle and was starting to get a little scared. I took off on my bicycle down the dirt road and looked back to see the bobcat behind me. I got home and told my mother and she went back up with me in the car. we got out in the dirt road and she showed me the tracks in the dust. A logger cutting timber for us said he had run on them in the same area, there was a mother and some kittens, she came after him and he had to rev up his chainsaw at her to get her to back away.
My girlfriend seen i tan cougar (or mountain lion) out back in our pasture last year.
I seen two coyotes out there also.
The cats can get very protective when they have young ones around. I wouldn't want to get one too upset with me.
Later, keep safe out there, and pack a 44 magnum

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Living in WV and being an avid sportsman I have 100's of stories. I'll try to keep the few I'd like to share here short.

1 - I had just backed my fourwheeler out of the bed of my truck, getting ready for a day of deer hunting, when a coyote yelped and hollered out about 20 feet behind me. I about jumped outta my skin!

2 - Me and a buddy of mine were making our way back from a day of squirrel hunting one evening around a lake in early Oct. The water level was way down and had already reached winter pool. While walking back to my truck we noticed some very large tracks in the sandy lake bed. We were back beside the road, where my truck was parked, up a little hill from a large culvert that the creek runs through when we heard a LOUD roar that shook the bolts in the guard rail. We didn't hang around long since all we were armed with was a .22 rifle and 20 GA.

3 - I was laying back against a tree one morning in mid-Nov. when I heard something coming down the hill through the leaves directly at me. I turned around and was practically face to face with a red fox. He didn't seem too concerned about me and just slipped on over the hill.

4 - One summer I was testing out a few new flies that I've tied in a small farm pond, catching a few bluegills. I was reeling in a small one when all of a sudden my fly pole doubled over! About a 4 pound bass had swallowed the bluegill that I just caught and was jumping around like the water was on fire. That bass held on to the bluegill until I got it to the bank and then the bass just spit him out. I'd swear that the bluegills eyes were a little bit bigger that day. This happened three more times that day.

5 - Once while squirrel hunting my buddy jumped a couple of deer that ran over the ridge right to me. They were so close to me that I felt their breath and the ground vibrate when they ran by.

6 - I've shared a few trees with some squirrels while I was sitting in my treestand too. Curious little critters.

This last story was told to me by a guy I used to work with that lived in KY just across the river. He was doing some bulldozer work on a large farm for his uncle. He was in the back corner of the farm when he saw a huge black cat walking along the tree line. We've never heard anybody talking about panthers around these parts but one night, when I was researching an old mining town on-line, I came across a story about a circus train that had wrecked close to here and some of the animals were not recovered.

Happy Hunting,
Fisher

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I was raised here in MO, & remember my great Granny talking about black panthers, as well as an uncle that was a trapper. Not mountain lions, but panthers.. maybe they aren't native to these areas, but with so many tales about them, seems like there should be some truth in it. & who knows, maybe a mountain lion just had a different gene & passed it on. but what ever the case may be, it makes for some interesting nights around the fire.

Thanx everyone for sharing your stories! they are lots of fun to read, & experience with you. I was camping in the Flo. Keys when a racoon came snooping into my tent. Don't know who was more scared, him or me, but we both tried to get out of the tent real fast. I think I beat him out the flap!

camping at a park outside Coleman crystal mines in AR. we had a good fire going & camp chairs around it, & the 5 of us talkin & laughin. when I noticed movement out of the corner of my vision. I motioned all to be quiet. There was a skunk walking right into our camp. He stopped under the picnic table I was sittin on, then strolled into the mens room next to our camp. we all held our breath till we couldn't see him anymore. Not more than a minute later this guy & his son start to go into the bathroom, despite our warnings. don't think they believed us. but boy did they come out of there fast! with our laughter following them. luckily they didn't get skunked, cuz we would've gotten the stink too. (that's what I get for wanting to camp close to the toilets!)

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I've seen two black panthers in my life time. One was dead and the other was in a tree. They are huge and beautiful. When they scream they sound just like a woman screaming. Real spooky.

When my youngest son was about 11 I bought him a lasso. He invited a friend over to play with it. We had cows at the time. I peaked out the window a few times to see what they where up to. They where trying to lasso a 500 lb heifer. I just laughed to myself thinking they couldn't do it. About 30 minutes later they came in and told me they lassoed a cow! I thought oh h*ll. When Mr. Pepper got home I told him what happen. He was NOT impressed. He had to catch the cow, tie the lasso to a tree and work his way toward the cow who was mooing and jumping around. The bull saw this and came running to protect the cow. Mr.Pepper took over an hour to get the lasso off the cow in between scaring off the mad bull. When he got back to the house he hand the lasso to my son and told him and his friend if it moved they better damn well not try to rope it! I was laughing so hard my sides hurt.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
OMG! Pepper that is hilarious!! I can see it happenin all to easily. boys, ropes, cows? duh?! of course they are all gonna come together in some kinda big mess! am just glad branding iron wasn't thrown in there too.

T

trish76642

TreasureTales said:
Did you know the History Channel has a new series going on at 9pm (Pacific time) on Wednesdays? It's called something like "Monster" and one of the episodes was about large black cats that have been seen in both the USA and Britain. Some say they are overgrown housecats and others say they are a black phase mountain lion and others say they are black panthers. I think they are an unknown species.

More stories, please. Fossis, go ahead and tell us more stories, we like 'em.
I would say Black Panther TT. I went to bid a job one day, the house i was going to was out in the boonys, you had to drive a mile down this driveway through a bunch of trees, im driving real slow, cuz im in the mustang, i happen to look over my left shoulder and sitting under the trees was the biggest panther i had ever seen in my life! I had no idea they even got close to being that big!

metal chick

Mar 25, 2008
Great stories, I love hearing about animal antics and human encounters. :)

Mine is very boring compared to others, though. I used to go to a horse barn at dusk to care for my horse every day and the turnouts were back against a country club called "fox hollow." I soon found out why they called it that - I'd turn my horse out to let him graze for a while and pretty soon he'd be surrounded by about 5 or 6 fox! I knew nothing about foxes other than they're red and little, and wondered if they were surrounding my horse to take him down or something, but they never did anything except get close and observe him.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Far from boring MC. anything to do with foxes has got my attention. I love watching them, but what odd behaviour?! I would wonder if they were checkin out dinner too. strange.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
When my kids were growing up we lived at a remote resort in employee apts there at the resort (mailbox was 20 mins away and school and stores 45 mins) My daughter and her friends were determined they wanted to sleep outside on the back porch.....I was not sure with some of the partiers around there if it was a good idea but finally decided if they took Sadie Rae out to sleep with them that no one in their right mind would bother them. Sadie Rae was my big rottweiler and she loved those kids dearly. I had them close the gate and take Sadie with them and my bedroom window was right overlooking the deck and I made sure it was open. Suddenly Sadie Rae turned inside out...sounded like she was eating someone....I ran through the house and opened the sliding glass door expecting to see a nightmare only to find the girls in fits of giggles and Sadie Rae sniffing the air with her hair still standing on end. Turns out some of the local racdoons had decided to jump up on our porch with the girls.....bad idea! :wink: Sadie Rae passed on only two years after we moved there and in the 5 years we lived there we never had a raccoon on our porch although we could sit on ours and watch them on everyone else's digging through stuff.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Alright here is mine

I spend a lot of time in the woods or up rivers and creeks fishing and hunting.

Once up escambia river I was in a climbing deer stand bow hunting. It was twilight time as the sun had settled and darkness was pretty much in the tree canopy I was hunting in. I was almost ready to call it an evening but hadn't broke out my headlight or lowered my stuff down. I was about 20 feet in the air in a pine tree and other than normal sounds of nature and night, never heard a thing to tell me something was coming or near.
Suddenly the silence is broken by an extremely loud death deflying scream (Pepper is right like someone in distress). It came from right below me. It startled me it was so close and so sudden.
I could hear the scrapping of the tree and it took me several minutes to get my light out. I was making a good bit of noise as I moved around. Once I had my light I looked below me and saw nothing. Just bark on the ground, I swung my light around the area and caught two eyes staring back at me about 30 feet away. It turned, jumped over a downed tree and left. I never really got a good look at it but by it's grace, size and speed I am sure it was a Florida Panther.
I spent another hour before I climbed down and didn't waste my time departing the area.
I have seen several in the wild before while fishing and them coming to drink. But never had one so close and heard their call. It was an experience I will never forget and even though "man" is on top of the food chain I now walk out of the woods with more awareness of my surrounding.

Another story

I grew up in the woods and my cousin with her family were staying on the farm. She had to get up in the dark and walk about 1200 yards to the main road to catch the school bus basically at sunrise. She tells my father and uncle she has seen a large cat in the grass area across the road from the bus for the last two days when she boards the bus. Just laying there swinging it's tail and it is quite large and not a house cat. They both discuss that panthers haven't been seen in our area in years so there is no way it could be one.
That evening my dad ropes and ties a cow to a tree, gives it grain and water. The next day he is planning on giving it some medicine, etc. We head off to town to get the stuff and stay the night with my grandmother.
The next morning when we return the cow is dead and it's thoart area ripped open. No other signs of mauling and rope still attached to tree. My dad removes the rope. The very next morning the cow has been dragged about 600 yards into a wooded area of our farm and eaten on some.
To this day I don't know what it was but that cow weighted a good 800 -1000 pounds easy and what ever dragged it was strong. My father buried the cow that day and we never had another attack on a cow or calf from it and to my knowledge it was never saw again. I always wondered what happen to it for I am sure she was seeing a panther and to this day as the area is still wooded also wonder if others are still there.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
don't think I'd be out after dark after that experience!! & I bet your cousin was glad it was the cow & not her!!

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
Having noticed mention of skunks and unusual animal behavior, brings to mind a bit of vacation two years ago.
We had rented a campsite for the 5th wheel camper my friend owns and intended to spend a week doing some Crappie fishing.
My friend and his wife had also brought their 20 year old son along for the week and even though he enjoyed fishing, he considered himself a "bass man" and wasn't too pleased with being stuck with our crappie agenda. As part of his "boycot" attitude, rather than sleep inside the camper trailer in relative luxury, he decided to toss a sleeping bag on the ground beside the door of the trailer and sleep there.

No sweat off anybody elses' nose, so we ignored him and while we decided to have a camp fire and pop popcorn with real butter, he decided to sack out early.
No big deal. We watched him toss around for a while, then when he settled down, we notice this big old skunk come strolling through the park toward our picnic table. The table being just a few feet from us, we basically froze our movements and just watched. The boy is on the other side of the table about the same distance from the table as we are with just his nose sticking out of the sleeping bag. We continued to watch the skunk and he proceded to sniff around the entire area. About that time we realize the boy is gonna be in for a big surprise if he moves at all because the skunk has gone right up to him and is sniffing all over his sleeping bag. Next thing ya know the skunk finds the boys nose sticking out of the bag and takes a big lick right on the tip and walks away and goes on about its' business touring the campground. By the time the skunk has gone a safer distance away we are just totally cracking up because the kid didn't even wake up.
We watched a while longer and figured out that even though the skunk was wild, he, or it, was fairly tame from living in the campground and wondered if by chance he would return the following night. It turned out we were right and we were ready with the cameras and video camera.
We had told the boy about the skunk "kissin' him goodnight" and teased hell out of him since he had no intention of even beginning to believe us. He just figured we were messin' with him to tic him off more than he already was.
Sure enough, next night, same scenario. Kid is already sacked out and here comes the skunk. Only THIS time there's 5 little ones with it. Obviously a mommy skunk.
We are thinking if any thing so much as a lowd noise happens we are all in for a tomato juice bath cause we'll get skunked for sure.
Ended up we got to video this big old skunk come in and lick that kids' nose every night we were there and never did have any trouble with them. Some children on the other side of the camp aggravated them enough to get sprayed, so they definitely were still wild.
Then while we were fishing about noon a coon would come down to the waters edge and beg until he convinced somebody to throw him a fish. Once the people figured out what he wanted, he had all the fish he could possibly eat. It was his daily routine and was so fat he could hardly walk.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
hey Cork ya got a pic to show us? that is too funny! skunks sure are odd critters! but then so are 20 yr old sulky kids.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this on another site -
Go ahead and call me a chick - BUT
I can take a spider, rat, mouse or anything else any day.
Except for the gator that came up on me stalking with in 8' before he was scared off by my mother yelling to me
Show me a snake and I freaked
I froze when I saw it behind me, following my path.
It was a big one, at least 9'
It had a reputation of pulling dogs and horse's into the canal
Yes I'm a dude, and 6" 220 lbs
Yes, i will stand on a chair and shriek.
Ive had several snakes that have slithered in to my house because I like to keep the doors open for my big dog (Brady dog) to come and go as he likes.
I'm in FL
-------------\
the gator encounter was awful
At the time, i was not educated in gators, I had just moved to Fl from MA
This guy was massive and I'm not exaggerating on the size, it was massive. might have been bigger than what I've stated
Once I turned around and saw the damn thing on my heals I froze.
I came out of the canal that I was on the edge of , poking around
I was about 6' from a tree that a long handle shovel leaning against it.
Again i froze and so did the gator
I was prepared to run for the tree and go for the shovel
it was a show down
I made the decision to make a run for it with all I had.
Ran and a minute later, no sign of the gator.
Sorry for the rambling, but its a very true story, you had to be there.
Not sure if this fits into this post
Braydboy

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
mamabear, this thread is a hoot. I'm glad you started it. I've got quite a few laughs just picturing how everyone responded to the animal visits. :D

metal chick

Mar 25, 2008
mamabear said:
Far from boring MC. anything to do with foxes has got my attention. I love watching them, but what odd behaviour?! I would wonder if they were checkin out dinner too. strange.

I have no clue why they didn't do anything. I was waiting for them to possibly take the horse down, but they never did and if I approached, they all ran away. That was on Long Island, but I live in upstate New York now, and unfortunately, a fox destroyed my flock of guinea hens.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
While deer hunting in a stand last fall, I watched a bobcat kill a raccoon right at dawn. Noisiest thing I ever encountered. They wrestled for a minute on the bank of a little slough area, then the raccoon tried to escape in the water, which was only 6-8 inches deep, but the bobcat was all over it. Took about 2 minutes for it to be over, and when it was and the bobcat was dragging the coon away, here came all the family coons out from the shrubs and trees to see what had happened. Bye-bye sister coon... I'll never forget the sounds, though.

My hunting buddy was deer hunting early one morning on my property, just getting set up actually, and since we didn't have any stands up yet, he parked himself under a medium-sized oak tree at the edge of the field. As the sun came up, he was hidden and could watch for the deer to come out of the woods and feed in the field. About the time the sun was cracking, he hears something UP above him in the tree, and before he can register enough to turn around and look up, this furry thing comes crashing down toward, over, and past him. Bobcat! He was still excited 2 hours later telling me about it. :D The next week he had a stand set up deep in the woods. :D :wink:

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Bradyboy, I think I woulda kept running til I was back in MA. & keep your doors open? gators, snakes & people, oh my!!
MC I have never heard of fox taking a large animal down, but nothin would surprise me.

Pepper, I have had so much fun reading this thread. There are so many great people here! Am glad they are willing to share.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
bean man said:
When I was in the Marines, I put a kangaroo rat in my buddies hooch, while he was sleeping. You could hear, boink, boink, as the rat jumped against the inside of the tent. All of a sudden, the hooch exploded, and then ran off, with ropes and tent stakes flying wildly in the air behind it. Funny thing was, my buddy was still in his sleeping bag. :o He was a tough kid from the inner city, who was not afraid of any man, but didn't like critters. Let me tell you, it ain't easy running away from somebody, when your laughing that hard. :D

did he catch ya?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread