wild animal stories, got one??

bluestem

Jun 11, 2007
This a great thread!

bradyboy, I'd run from a gator, too. What do you have to lose?

MC, I've never heard of foxes trying to take down a horse, but they do like to clean up horse food. Was your horse eating when the foxes showed up? Maybe the horse flushed out bugs or mice or something for them to eat?

Some of mine:

We have a pond that ducks stop at in the Spring. One year a male mallard decided to stay on with us. He was weird. He would let people, dogs and cats get within just a few feet of him. He would hang out with us. The funniest thing was he would eat dinner with one particular horse every evening. If he got there late, he'd stand there and quack, quack, quack at her, like he was chewing her out. Sometime she'd put her head down in front of him and make this kind of ugly face at him in return. He was with us for several months and then disappeared.

One evening my daughter and I were walking to the mailbox with our dogs. A doe popped up out of some shrubs and proceeded to head butt the dogs and chase them around, then ran off. We were standing there dumbfounded when this wobbly, still a bit damp fawn came out of the shrubs and wobbled off, right toward the mailbox. We ended up following at distance. The dogs were happy to stay behind us. It passed many places that looked like it would have felt safe and went what seemed like a long distance for a newborn. It went through the fence and plopped right down on the other side. Just like it knew what a fence line was and that we wouldn't go beyond that one.

One morning I came around a corner of the house and came face to face with a buck. The doe he was following was farther away, but he was right up by the house. He showed me his antlers and I just concentrated on staying calm. I wasn't sure if I should back away or if movement would set him off. He kept looking from me to her, and showed me his antlers several more times while she got farther and farther away. He finally went after her.

One night my daughter and I were laying on our trampoline watching the perseid meteor shower and talking. We heard this blood curdling scream from our pond. I thought it was a woman being beaten to death. My first thought was to go call the sheriff and get a gun and get over there. But I had to start breathing again first. I'm not kidding. I couldn't breathe and I don't know how long it was before either of us could move. We realized it was not a woman and kept talking about going inside, but it took us awhile to manage it. It kept screaming and screaming and screaming. Officially we don't have mountains lions around here, even though people have seen them. So maybe it was a banshee.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
here is another one

Back when I was younger 5 or so and on the farm we had a bath tub all of kids would jump into at bath time, I was the only boy in the tub with the rest full of young girl cousins. They were as young as I was. This house was very old not in the best of shape, the water was iron water and came from a well. Anyway as we are taking a bath getting the days dirt off us from playing. I notice a large chicken snake slithering along the rafter studs and pointed to it saying hey look. All the girls screamed and jumped out running throughout the house. My father comes in and say what the heck you doing thinking I had done something to them. I point to the snake and say not me him. Then I reply don't kill it paw, isn't it nice right now as I layed out in the tub and I am enjoying the peace and quiet. He laughed at me and used a two sticks to remove it from the house.

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
Years ago while I was in high school, a friend of mine asked me if I would like to go coon hunting with him and a friend.

I said, "Sure". The friend of his that came along had just bought a pedigreed coon dog for $1200 about 2 weeks prior.

We went out into the woods just after dark. It didn't take long for Belkan (the dog) to get on a scent. Off he went with us

trailing behind. Belkan stopped not far in front of us pointing up a tree. He had treed a coon. Or so we thought. When

we got to where he was and shined our lights up in the tree, it was a bobcat that he had treed. we stood there for a couple

minutes trying to decide whether or not to shoot the bobcat. Well, I guess we waited a little too long. The bobcat evidently

got tired of that dog barking and down the tree it came. And down it came with a fury! The bobcat hit Belkan like a ton of

bricks. I have never heard a dog make a more agonizing sound as Belkan did that night. I hope I never hear that sound

again. Around and around they went, Belkan twisting and bucking trying to get that bobcat off his back. Then it happened.

The bobcat got Belkan by the nape of the neck with its jaws and reached around with its paws and grabbed him by the throat.

Three seconds later it was over. Belkan laid there in a heap and the bobcat was off in a flash. There was nothing that any of

us could do...if we tried to shoot the bobcat we may hit the dog...if we tried to separate the two, we ran the risk of being

attacked. The friend of my friend had a very difficult time carrying his lifeless $1200 Belkan back to the truck. Needless to say,

I haven't been coon hunting since.

I know this is a sad story and I am sorry if it offends anyone. It is my wild animal story.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now I have a dilemma.

I usually root for the wildlife, if the wildlife is just doing its own thing. However, after events of August 19, 2007, in Arizona, where 3 javelina were in my backyard, and my dog chased them, and killed all three, but died herself - I have to root for a dog. Those javelina were dangerous, some had killed a woman on a STREET just 3 or 4 weeks previously - knocked her down and gored and sliced her up, pretty much.

Then, a couple of months ago, a doe killed our next door neighbors dog - and the dog was on their back deck. The same doe tried to kill the other neighbors dog, who was quite helpless, being tied up.

I also hunt - and part of my hunting has a dog going with me. I see no difference between a dog chasing a wild animal that has done nothing and a human chasing a wild animal that has done nothing. (except that the human uses a tool the dog doesn't have - boom!)

My wildlife story deals with the death of my Little Girl last August. The following morning, after her death, at first light, we heard an awful howling and yapping. I woke Mr. Oro up, and we looked out the window to see two coyotes in my yard. I put on my slippers and went outside, with Roy grabbing a gun, just in case.

They howled and talked for 3 or 4 minutes, and I walked closer to them (I know, not smart, but something was really strange and different).
One, the female, stayed sitting in front of my truck. The male got up, walked around in a circle about 4 or 5 times, howling and talking the entire time. As I got a little closer, they moved back about 10 feet, and continued to "talk" and howl. I walked over to where they were sitting. They were sitting where my Little Girl used to lay down during the heat of the day - in the shade of my truck. They moved back a few feet, and I walked the extra 2 or 3 steps - and found they had brought something for us. They brought the full head of one of the javelina that my Little Girl had killed - as it turned out, the one that killed her. They had chewed off the head, and brought it to the front of the house, in front of the truck where my Little Girl slept everyday. It was uneaten. We went down to where the 3 javelina had been killed, and sure enough, they had not eaten any of them, just taken the head and brought it to the front of the house.

As far as I can tell, they figured it was her kill, and they couldn't eat until she had hers. (pecking order) (by the way, watch them buzzards, they DO attack).
I did alot of reading on coyotes after that, and I think they saw our huskies as another "pack" rather than your garden variety dog. Especially since we had a coyote pup that used to come every morning for several weeks before that to "wrestle" with our male Husky.

The "cats" (mountain lions) didn't come until the evening.

We took the head (and buried it), the coyotes left, and a few hours later, came back, several times, with pups and worked on the carcasses.

That's my wildlife story.

B

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I love coon hounds. my cousin left me his when he joined the marines & let me tell ya, he was the best dog ever. I was only 10 & didn't hunt, but he walked the woods w/ me every day. he was old & had a hard time gettin around, but was always by my side except for a certain time in the evening. he would disappear for about an hour, then come back soaked. I started following him to see what he was up to. he would go to the lake to a log that jutted out over it. he would sit & wait, til a coon climbed out on the log. then boomer would start his howling & climb out on the log after the coon. every time the coon would knock boomer off into the lake!! & that would be the end til the next evening. don't know if they were playing or if it was an actuall fight, but it happened the same way everytime I saw it. pretty strange, but very entertaining.

we heard a cat screaming the night it killed one of the colts. scared the bejezzus out of us! thought it was a neighbor woman getting killed. I actually called them to make sure they were ok, & they said they heard it too. were out on their porch, eating. the scream put an end to that though. the next morn we found waht was left of the colt.

we have a freezer stocked w/ venison, we eat squirrel, & rabbit & what ever is in season. I believe in fair hunting, in WA they use to hunt dear with a pack of dogs. not fair hunting as far as I'm concerned, & it is now illegal. I know there are people that would rather hunt with dogs. I don't judge, I just won't do it.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
after rereading my last post, I realizeI didn't word it quite the way I wanted. I think I'm not awake yet. Meant to say, I can't judge others for hunting with dogs, I just won't hunt with them.
Mrs. Oro, I think Mr oro would be in the dog house permenant!!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Mr oro would be in the dog house permenant!!

I don't understand why - could you explain further?

I don't hunt deer with dogs - we, back when I could still stumble through the woods in the middle of the night, have coon hounds and go coon hunting and had a basset hound and a beagle cross for rabbit hunting.

We still have a bird dog that we use, too. A german short-haired pointer.

Of course, as most people know, you don't have to make them hunt - they will "do it on their own". :D

B

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
oops mrs oro, it was trish not you who's hubby put the snake in her face. I am sooo not awake. & my Pop & Grampa had bird dogs, & hunted with them alot, that's why I can't judge. I just don't like the way some folks hunt with packs. around here, some of these guys starve their dogs then turn them out on coyotes I feel for the dogs & the coyotes.
think I'm gonna go back to bed. I need more beauty sleep. (as if that will help!)

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
i'm afraid i might need more than a cup! good thing i'm not going for a job interveiw today. (am lookin for work) they would just laugh at me!! :tard: :coffee2:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Good luck on the job hunt mama! I know the feeling. I will be prayin for ya! Enjoy the coffee and if you need more let us know! :thumbsup:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, mamabear -

We drink so much coffee around here, that I bought a restaurant-style Bunn coffee maker. :D :D

Hey - it only takes 2-1/2 minutes to make a pot.

B

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
you too cynangyl, just read the post 'bout your work. bummer! what does your avatar mean?
& mrs oro. what would we do with out java? 2 1/2 min? wow, thats fast!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
My avatar is just another of my grandmother's paintings. She has many and I change it from time to time. Not long ago I had a painting she did of Mt Jefferson there...might have to change it again today.....got lots to choose from! lol Or maybe I will change it to something besides one of her paintings.

Yeah....I had a long day the other day with all that going on....seems there is still a lot going on....God is good though and I will get through it all! Good thing I pay cash for everything so I don't have anything except living expenses to pay at the moment! lol

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
cyn, that is a beautiful painting. wouldn't it be nice to be able to paint like that? heck I'm lucky if I can draw a stick man!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'me back, (been having puter trouble), back to the 'Black Cats', I talked to a former neighbor who has seen a black one with a kitten, & several others also.
My former boss had a large Rottweiler slashed to pieces, (11 I-V's in her body), over $700.00 in vet bills, but she survived.
The 'Old Timers' all spoke of (Black Panthers) years ago.
While in an Army tent in rural Va, (Camp A.P. Hill), a skunk ambled into the tent & proceeded to eat some cookies, I told everyone to remain still, after it had it's fill it left, thankfully no one panicked.
While courting a young lady, we were sitting on a bluff at a lake, when a skunk came up the trail right at us, (again I remained calm), & no skunk spray.
(this one is not about Wild aninals)
My Aunt was telling me storys of her late husband's life, (he was 87), when he was about 10 yrs old he was plowing with a team of mules, & his dad told him to stay close to the fence to plow up the weeds, he was concentrating so hard on staying close, that the mules fell into a large dug well & drowned, luckily he had time to take the leather lines from around his waist, keeping him out (they tied them around), to keep their hands on the plow handles.

Keep em comin, Fossis............

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I was Elk hunting a couple years ago and sleeping at night in the shell on my truck.
the second night I herd a rustling in the back , I thought it was under the truck. OK so I went back to sleep. About a half hour later I hear it again but it is up by my ear...
I turn on a light and to my surprise a small family of field mice had come up the stake pocket in the bed of the truck and out through the side holes of the pockets . They had made a race track on the bottom ledge of my shell and were into my staples and groceries.
It took a little while to sort this all out, but once I had it figured out a few small squares of scotchbrite stuffed in the holes and no more mice.

a mouse can do a big amount of damage in a short time and there were seven of them to chase out.
I don't stay out with out putting the scotchbrite in the holes now.

LOL
Thom

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
bothersome little critters huh! they try to come into the house every every fall. very difficult to keep out. hope you got your elk that season.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Mamabear,

The Elk are special and not being a trophy hunter I have a tendancy to try for a big cow if I can get the tag.
To answer your question, yes, and she tasted quite good.

Thanks,
Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread