Gas May Soon Cost a Sawbuck!

S

Smee

bakergeol said:
GPURS
I had to chuckle a bit about all the flak you have taken.

How dare one of us folks who care about others actually look up the facts about the oil company profits and destroy your little panacea!

bakergeol said:
One of the reasons I abandoned this thread as it is indeed a waste of time.

If you HAD abandoned it, you would not be gracing us with your presence today. TRUTH please . . .

bakergeol said:
GPURS is of course correct but don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy thread.

or more importantly, let's call anyone who sees something going on a kook --- a conspiracy nut. It only takes two to conspire, and that's a conspiracy. If you believe that no conspiracies exist, you are living in a FANTASY.

bakergeol said:
Just accuse him of being a troll and move along with the conspiracy theories.

. . . if the shoe fits, but I didn't call him anything. I merely pointed out the FACTS about the windfall the oil companies are reaping.

Please remember, MR. Economics 101, that NET PROFITS are what is left after ALL expenses . . . that would also include the exploration that the Exxon rep talked about this morning. NET means ACTUAL PROFITS AFTER ALL EXPENSES HAVE BEEN MET. $ 46.8 BILLION IN NET PROFITS. Net profits are what the shareholders divide. They don't turn around and give some of the money back to pay for exploration or enlarging refineries, or bonuses to executives. If you add those in to arrive at the GROSS PROFIT (the amount taken in over and above the actual cost of oil, refining, and transportation) you would be much higher than $ 46.8 billion.

bakergeol said:
You are moving down the highway with your 15mpg gas guzzler and see some oil well pump jacks not working. AH HA- Those rascal oil companies are trying to limit production and jack up prices.

Actually, if you had bothered to read the previous posts before trying to BS everyone, it's a 30+ mpg Ranger.

And yes, reducing the SUPPLY while the DEMAND remains the same WILL INFLATE THE PRICES. THAT, sir, IS from Economics 101. We can understand more than you give us credit for.

bakergeol said:
You can provide all the facts and evidence you want but they are not going to be moved from their beliefs.

Sort of like joining a dowsing thread and arguing with the proponents of dowsing. Just a waste of time.

Yeah, I agree. It's a waste of time to provide you with facts, but then again, you aren't here because you abandoned this thread some time back.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wis. man won't buy gas for 31 days, maybe longer

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) -- Brian LaFave couldn't care less how high gasoline prices climb these days - he's parked his pickup truck and is refusing to buy gas for a month, possibly longer.

"The goal is to not use one drop of gas for 31 days," LaFave said, calling it his personal stand against the oil companies.

Now LaFave, 31, is riding his bicycle or walking everywhere he goes. He won't even let friends pick him up unless they already planned on being in the neighborhood.

"If they're not going out of their way, I can take the ride," he said. "But if they're going out of their way, then ... I'm still consuming gasoline so it kind of defeats the purpose."

LaFave started the effort May 11. He bikes to his third-shift job at Aldrich Chemical in Sheboygan Falls, a 9-mile commute.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/ODD_NO_MORE_GAS?SITE=PAPOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Sigh.....Once again I'm just a conspiracy nut :tard:

I guess it doesn't mean anything that I was born and raised in an oil refinery town. I can drive 15 miles to the next town and ALLWAYS buy gasoline cheaper! Back when there was supposedly an oil shortage, it was common knowledge here that ALL of the tanks in Conoco's plant were FULL! At least they weren't having a shortage, they were just enjoying the profits!

Oh well...time will tell :thumbsup:

TW

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yep... I think it's a cheap shot to try and blow people off by calling out 'Conspiracy Nuts!", too, Lonewolf.

I think it's kind of tedious to always use 'they' but there are only indications who 'they' really might be.
...follow the money...

I must admit to being a 'nose-to-the-grindstone' kinda guy, living a hand to mouth existence.
No glory here!
But that doesn't mean I have no concept that there is an extremely wealthy old money families who are beyond even the jet set the tabloids enjoy babbling about for our entertainment.

I don't know a bloomin' thing about Baker's personal financial situation because it's private and personal.
Not a clue why he would deny, without proof, there are super rich, power people who would not allow the source of their wealth and power to be discussed in common venues.

There IS a face behind those cartels, and historic banks that make and break kings and countries.
We're just not going to see them.

MD, I didn't come here to sing to the choir. It's good if I can be supportive of somewhat like minded fellows, from time to time, but I'd welcome anyone who could come right out and disprove what I suspect to be true.
Then I could stop saying 'they', and deal with the problem without a fight from those who control.

GPURS, I don't see a commodity bubble.
There's greed exhibited by market 'investors' and far too many 10% middlemen bleeding those of us who work for a living doing productive things, for sure. I feel devaluation of the dollar and excessive legislated restriction upon growth and productivity are in part to blame for rising commodity costs, along with market manipulation.

As an example of manipulation, Randolph Hearst created a war to sell his papers.
I believe such things are done all the time according to various plans by those with the power to concoct them.

SOMEONE concocted a plan to sell the public a bill of goods that mass produced ethanol would be beneficial.
And, as expected, there came a hue & cry from the man on the street and legislation was easily passed.

Knowledgeable people knew the fuel produces less energy in an engine, and that it would take more energy to produce it than benefit gained. The tortilla riots in Mexico were to be expected!
There shall eventually be a Panamerican control that far exceeds what Nafta began.

Since we're in a 'sawbuck fuel' thread, why has Pemex slowed exploration/drilling/production in it's offshore oilfields? Mexico stated those funds would go to 'other' government programs.

As Mexico has a smaller society with less intricacy than our US model, it would most likely be more transparent and easier to see who actually controls THAT government. I'll bet it's a short list!

The days of the Jeffersonian concept of an agrarian society built by a yeoman farmer and sovereign citizen are long gone. The founding fathers would not recognize this land of the fee and home of the slave.

LoL!
I'm always entertained by the bicycle stories that crop up as news.
Here in California it's ever pc to be a dipstick and make frivolous month long activist statements!
Arrogant busy-bodies in their prius or forester off to the PAC meeting wearing their leather llbean bush hat and carrying a carved oogalong walking stick that multi-tasks as a steady camera support as they vote for an alternative transportation awareness week.

Perhaps it's time for me to go over to RANTS as I ramble about their protest against my old pickup truck, which is what I can afford, after the pittance they feel reasonable to pay for replacing the melamine cabinetry in their home they feel is repugnant, with oak or birch, and the formica countertops replaced with granite.

Time to quit now...
I've stumbled over the edge.

Best,
Recovers Many Pull Tab Relics

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Gas May Soon Cost a Sawbuck! What if gas cost $10 a gallon?

Editor's note: This is one in an occasional series of financial what-ifs.

In four years, U.S. gas prices have doubled to more than $3.70 a gallon, and crude oil has tripled to around $125 a barrel. Allowing for inflation, that's higher than prices were during the 1978–83 oil shock that triggered a recession and sky-high interest rates. But . . .

What if gas cost $10 a gallon?

Thousands of truckers would go bankrupt. Airplanes would sit idle in hangars. Restaurants and stores would shut down. Car-pooling, hybrid vehicles, scooters and inline skates would swing into vogue. And telecommuting, rooftop vegetable gardens, home cooking and recycling would proliferate.

Yes, it would be painful. At $10 a gallon, filling a Ford Explorer could cost $225. Even gassing up a Honda Civic could set you back $132

According to Todd Hale, a senior vice president for consumer researcher Nielsen, at $10 a gallon, the average family's gas bill would leap from 16% of its retail spending to about 40%. People would drive less, yes. But many have to drive to work or the supermarket, and they'd cough up the cash -- screaming all the way -- and cut back elsewhere

Businesses and farmers, meantime, would be squeezed as the costs of transport, petrochemical fertilizers and plastics rose. If an oil shock came quickly, sending gas to $10 a gallon and oil to roughly $350 a barrel, the chain reaction of spiraling prices and sliced consumer demand would hit us hard.

more http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/WhatIfGasCost10DollarsAGallon.aspx

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crude-oil futures rallied to a fresh record high near $128 a barrel as Goldman Sachs raised its second-half-of-the-year forecast for oil prices by 32% to $141.

which means even if the Tax relief over the summer isn't just political lip service,
we'll be paying more then we are now.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Americans will continue to pay the price no matter how high gas gets and they know it.

We'll bounce around for the next decade but we'll be up close to the European prices before it's over.

Who will this hurt? Well, everyone of course but especially the manual labor working class, nonprofit entities, recreational parks, motels, all tourist attractions, etc.

This we're seeing today is much different than what we saw in the 70's. This one isn't going to go away.

Don't be too surprised if in the next few years we suddenly see some new transportation inventions suddenly appear out of nowhere.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
transportation inventions that will cost just as much or more
then what us Low Incomers who can barely afford what we have now.

There won't be any Relief in it no matter what.

And last I heard OPEC says they "plan" to increase Production
in 2012. Imagine the price by then :-\

OH, And China need all the Diesel they can get right now

$$$$$$

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 miles down to the Nearest grocery &

4 miles up the side of a Mountain ?

With a Bum Ticker ?

how do the english say it ?

"Not Bloody Likely" :P

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
My future transportation.

Attachments

• aa_1_b.jpg
    aa_1_b.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 160

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
My county, maybe the whole durn state, recently outlawed the pocket bikes...

It's all about control.

Best,
rmptr

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
I remember as a kid having a mini-bike with a lawnmower engine on it. It had a 1 quart gas tank. I could fill it up with about 10 cents and ride around on it all day.

Now it would cost almost $1.00 to fill it up. That is only 1000% increase.

It's only going to get worse. I dread it as I am a field engineer and average 100-200 miles a day on my own car to service my accounts. Granted I am reimbursed for my mileage, but soon it will end up costing me more than I get reimbursed for.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
"..And last I heard OPEC says they "plan" to increase Production in 2012. Imagine the price by then."

Jeff, good timing for OPEC to do that....considering we into the 2012 End of the World......hmmmmm
---Mel

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
borninok said:
"..And last I heard OPEC says they "plan" to increase Production in 2012. Imagine the price by then."

Jeff, good timing for OPEC to do that....considering we into the 2012 End of the World......hmmmmm
---Mel

:D actually, I think they are waiting to
see what the next u.s. president does
by the end of his term. I tell ya this whole thing is a war against
the world that they have a chance to win.
they will outprice everyone & sit back with their Trillions of dollars
and say Tuff cookies, Pay our Price. or do without oil.
I say start a hostile takeover and put Opec out of Buisness

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Anything to do with war is a bad scenario...

Diplomacy is a far better method of achieving a goal.

Wars of conquest are always fought for the resources... liebensraum...

That last link I posted on KSA shows fairly clearly that aramco may NOT be able to ramp up production.

But no one really knows, probably not even them, if they can increase production without increasing the water cut.

I really don't think war is a solution, it's a breakdown of normal commerce, whatever that may be!

But that's not to say any number of wars won't occur...

Fuel shortages will prohibit conventional warfare.

It takes quite a bit to mobilize the fleet, and such.

Best,
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions