jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Food, glorious food' conjures up the image of Oliver Twist and his brother orphans wailing over a shortage of porridge in Dickensian England.

Last week, a food shortage became an American reality. Costco Warehouse, Wal-Mart and other food stores limited the purchase of certain food staples in bulk form. Purchases of rice in California and of oil and flour in Queens were restricted. Customers were angry, voicing strong concern and questioning whether the situation would worsen.

Should we be worried? While it may be premature to expect the worst, given the drift of economic events it is worth a moment to consider the possible implications.

Historically, food shortages, even in developed countries, such as England, have sparked riots. In France and Russia, shortages of food led not only to riots but also to insurrection and, ultimately, to political revolution. Traditionally, food based insurrections arrive alongside other political ills, and it is a shortage of food that is often the final straw that breaks the back of social order.

If food scarcity and partial rationing comes on the crest of a rising tide of growing economic inequality and deterioration in America, social upheaval is a real possibility.

While Wall Street paid itself some $26 billion in bonuses last year, ordinary people were being squeezed financially. Some retirees even saw the value of their savings decline substantially.

more
http://www.321gold.com/editorials/browne/browne050108.html

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I was told by someone inside the Sams Club chain the reason they were doing it was to make more money off the stock they already had. This person told me there wasn't a real shortage yet.

Who knows. It does seem odd when you look at food prices today compared to one year ago how much they have increased. Seems like someone is padding their pockets at our expense.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone who can Pad their Pockets these days Is.

Can't say I blame Most,
I think I'd do it to if I could.

There is going to come a point where everyone with millions in the bank will be haves

and everyone else Have nots. No middle Class

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to be Person with the most toys Wins.

Now it's Last one standing with money in their Pocket Wins.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Pretty sure that when all is said and done money will become worthless when the shtuff hits the fan. Then it is the best prepared and educated that will continue on. :icon_study:

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Also the one that is the MOST willing to fight for themselves and their families and will to do whatever it takes to survive I'm afraid.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Money may become worthless eventually , but those who run out first are going to have a much harder
time of it , than those who have some put away . Just my opinion .

Findone

Jan 20, 2006
COPE SOUTH CAROLINA
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT and Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The US dollar is going south that's why I have been turning what I can of it into silver, and gold. I don't have a lot, but some is better than none. You better believe I will fight to feed my family, and to keep what is mine. >:(
Everyone have a nice evening, I have to go on patrol now. ;D
Leon

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Was in Sam's club this morning. Use rice in one of our products. Usually buy 500# at a time. All bags of long grain rice were gone. Only allowed 4 bags at a time no matter what the size. Bought medium grain rice but was only allowed 4, 20 # bags. Leaves us a little short as far as being able to make a living. Was also told sugar was being rationed. Talked to manager and asked for more and he told me too bad. Told him that a bag of potatoes would not work in product. That people could buy potatoes instead of rice. He didn't get it!!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
On the bright side ......maybe there will be a decline in obesity!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
& the Fast food Restaurants should Go on.

I like Burgers anyway. Don't eat Rice.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Well again I might sound like I'm nuts but I was told that they were doing this to jack prices up to make more $$$$$.

It seems that all the countries that import products to us are trying to squeeze us hard. Since they see our economy is in the toilet right now they are piling on.

They are using the Ethanol crap to drive up corn prices which in turn drives everything else up. Things are going to get bad quick if people think that food is in short supply and they might run out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread