SMOKE FREE - 6 Months!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Back in October '07 I started a topic for the Great Treasure Net Smoke Out which started on the 1st of November 2007. It was an opportunity for a bunch of us to get together and quit smoking, and support each other.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,115601.0.html

Anyways... I'm a few days late in posting, but have now reached 6 months as an ex-smoker! :headbang:

I'm pretty excited about it, and struggle all the time with staying stopped because I really miss it and enjoyed it... but am much better off without it! I feel better, Nicky's recipies taste beter, I smell better, and - there was this girl I was trying to impress who is impressed! It's a win-win!

Here are my statistics:

Smoke Free: 6 months / 2 days / 11 hours / 27 minutes
Money Saved: $830.15
Not Smoked: 3,689 ciggys
Life earned back: 1 week / 5 days / 19 hours / 25 minutes

I'm not sure how the rest of my friends who tried to quit have done, but I've made it this far! I encourage everyone who wants to stop tobacco to keep trying... it'll happen eventually!

I sure do miss it though... :tard:

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x
GREAT!!! I'm happy you could quit and all the money you saved you could buy better detecting stuff. Also you have more time to detect with that extra year. :wink:

SEMPER FI :sunny

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on not being a butthead anymore, Jim!! I know I'm impressed! :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :sunny: :icon_thumright: :hello2: :headbang:

Keep up the amazing willpower and, hopefully soon, you won't miss it anymore. 8)

butthead.jpg

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
big time CONGRATS JIM... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Jim...... You wont end up like this guy ::)

Attachments

• biz;tobaccobillboardLR.jpg
    biz;tobaccobillboardLR.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 242

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Congrats Jim, and Gibbsium!!!! :occasion16: :headbang: :hello2:

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim...CONGRATS!!!!!!...I am impressed...you;re a better ( and smarter!) man than I am...I haven;t been stubborn or willing enough to give the nasty rotten things up as of yet...GREAT JOB!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrat's Jim. :thumbsup:
I would just like to thank You and the rest of the contributors to that post, for that post. For me, the time was right and it needed to be done. I passed my six months 'smoke free ' on the 3rd and I reckon I've saved NZ$1691.73 - or thereabouts - about US$1350 , so far.
In another 6 months, I can expect to save another $1,000 a year on my insurance, as a non-smoker.
Then total savings on a full year should be at least $4,000

What I have found significant is the new FREEDOM from not smoking.
I mean for example,

I don't need to plan my day around getting my fixes.
I can go anywhere without having to suss out -where can I smoke? legally AND without offending anyone else, especially my family.
I can take my wife 5,500 kms around our South Island just this March, on our Triumph Trophy, without stopping once for a cigarette :happy2:

I always enjoyed my smoking, I wouldn't mind one right now :o
I always rolled my own so it was almost part ceremony, but then so are Funerals and I'm going to avoid attending mine, as long as possible.

Cheers to all, Mike

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I quit in 1991 . Smoked heavy for years . It is hard & takes time but I'm ( LIVING ) proof it can be
done . Believe it or not , eventually , you'll find them downright disgusting . I had been wanting to quit
for quite some time but the straw that broke the camels back for me was going hiking with my father-in-
law who has about 20 years on me . He took off up the side of a hill & it wasn't long before I was losing
my breath . I was to hard headed or ashamed to stop till he did & by the time he stopped I must have been blue & he wasn't even breathing hard . It was probably 15 minutes before I could breath normally again .
He did'nt say anything but he patiently waited until I could see straight again . I made up my mind right then & there I was done smoking . I've never once regretted quiting .

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Gibbsium said:
Still not smoking here, but I still want one every once and awhile.

trikikiwi said:
For me, the time was right and it needed to be done. I passed my six months 'smoke free ' on the 3rd and I reckon I've saved NZ$1691.73 - or thereabouts - about US$1350 , so far.

Way to go Gibbsium and Mike!

Thanks everyone... you encouraging remarks have helped me a great deal. :thumbsup:

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Jim, GOOD for YOU!!!

I have no statistics to quote, other than my Dad, who smoked 3 packs of Pall Mall a day, for 35 years, quit after about (actually, during :D :D) a two week stay in Intensive Care due to a heart attack, in 1991. He lived another 15 years. How many did he 'earn' by quitting? No way to tell, but he lived to be 70, and that's a lot longer than normal for his side of the family.

I don't want to make this about him, as this is your thread, but I just am trying to point out that by quitting as young as you are, you have added decades to your life expectancy, I'm sure.

Congrats to you and all the 'quitters' out there!!

Roger

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
Keep it up! It's a useless expensive hobby. The $$ saved can allow you........

..........to buy some new detecting equipment someday...........see ya mark

T

trish76642

Proud for you Jim!
I need to stop, yes im a smoker, I now have high blood pressure, severe, and i didnt even think i was old enough to get high blood pressure. The doctor gave me a prescription for Chantex, they say its a wonder drug, has anyone ever tried it?
I do want to stop, i have a new grandbaby now, and about to have another next month, if i dont stop i want live to see them hit their teenage years, im real sure of it. So if you have any advise my ears are open.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WV Hillbilly said:
I quit in 1991 . Smoked heavy for years . It is hard & takes time but I'm ( LIVING ) proof it can be
done . Believe it or not , eventually , you'll find them downright disgusting . I had been wanting to quit
for quite some time but the straw that broke the camels back for me was going hiking with my father-in-
law who has about 20 years on me . He took off up the side of a hill & it wasn't long before I was losing
my breath . I was to hard headed or ashamed to stop till he did & by the time he stopped I must have been blue & he wasn't even breathing hard . It was probably 15 minutes before I could breath normally again .
He did'nt say anything but he patiently waited until I could see straight again . I made up my mind right then & there I was done smoking . I've never once regretted quiting .
I had a similar experience. Not walking but running, or, ah, trying to run lol. That was the beginning of the end of my smoking. It does catch up to you and often irreversable lung damage.

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
~Trish~ said:
Proud for you Jim!
I need to stop, yes im a smoker, I now have high blood pressure, severe, and i didnt even think i was old enough to get high blood pressure. The doctor gave me a prescription for Chantex, they say its a wonder drug, has anyone ever tried it?
I do want to stop, i have a new grandbaby now, and about to have another next month, if i dont stop i want live to see them hit their teenage years, im real sure of it. So if you have any advise my ears are open.

Chantex has been THE blessing for almost everyone who has used it... there are a few threads here, including the one I linked to above where folks talk about using it.

Get the Chantex Trish...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread