Need help with Science Fair Ideas

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Need help with Science Fair Idea's

My 8yr daughter has a science fair coming up on the 21st (I know, last minute deal but she just brought the "reminder" paper home today >:( :o ) She's officially grounded for life lol

Anyway's, we need idea's on something she will be able to do. We thought about doing something on getting a flourescent light bulb to glow with friction, but all the online projects that we tried tonight didn't seem to work very well. The one that did work, takes some doing to make it happen and she gives up.

I really am no good at all with this kind of stuff :icon_scratch: We found a few idea's online, but there is alway's something you need that she can't take into school. No Volcanoes, nothing with smoke or fuses that need to be lit.

Thanks a bunch for any help, Any and all ideas would be very helpful.

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Re: Need help with Science Fair Idea's

Try this how ultraviolet light effects gemstones, = Answer A ruby will glow a bright red light, a diamond will glow a bright Blue, and so on.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I saw a simple one once that you may have time for. The effects of sound, emotions on plants. "Do Plants have Emotions?" Something like that. If I recall correctly the expiriment I was had a number of small plants that were kept isolated from each other and one was yelled at, one spoken nicely to, one lived in a room where classical music was playing, another lived right next to a radio blasting rock, etc. Just to see how they came out after a certain number of days. Buy a few five or six inch tall plants and you can still get a good 10 days to record your finds.

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Thank for the replies, I'll see what we can get started today on both of those idea's.

This isn't gonna be a fun week LoL

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

What are the effects of a 8 year old butt when kicked by a size 10 shoe for not bringing the assignment home eairlier?

Thats a good experiment... :thumbsup:

Can you tell I don't have kids? :sign10:

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008

its too late for this this year, but maybe a variant would work. I helped my neighbor do a project he was 9 or 10 and it was a big hit at the science fair. He got first place for biology in his "division"

Who's mouth is dirtier? - a beagle or a boy?

We ordered a few petri dishes with agar, a suitable little book for him on germs and bacteria. He used q tips to take a swab of his mouth, his brothers, and my dog. We swabbed the agar then let them grow for a few weeks. Yes the dogs mouth was "cleaner" the others grew more bacteria. It was quite popular..hehehe

Anyway if very short on time you could do taste tests if you have a dog. "What tastes appeal to a dog vs a human" if your daughter has a little brother all the more fun "Dog vs toddler " who has better taste? The science part of course is doing the testing in a somewhat rigorous way and reading up a bit about what taste is all about (nose and tongue)

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Montana Jim said:
What are the effects of a 8 year old butt when kicked by a size 10 shoe for not bringing the assignment home eairlier?

Not sure aboput a size 10 but her dad has a size 13 :o will letcha know the outcome :sign10:

Thanks desertmoons for that idea, we had thought about one similar to that but I didnt think we would have enough time to complete it.

I found a project online about getting an egg to float in salt water. How many teaspoons of salt in one cup of cold water will it take for an egg to float to the top. Then how much warm water (no salt) will it take to make the egg sink half way. We tried it and it worked great so I guess were gonna go with that one. Simple, quick, cheap and really easy ....all the better for me haha

When my other daughter was in 4th or 5th grade, we did a project on the Northen Lights and recreated the lights and I downloaded the sounds I found on the internet. I, we .... ok she got an A+ ;D

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

Don't know if this one would work for you (as you'll have to BS it a little to make it sound good. :D)

Demonstration of temperature on air pressure.

You need 3 balloons inflated equally; a heat source; and a cold source. Some cheap thermometers helps too.
You have 1 balloon at room temperature (your 'control' balloon.) One is near a heat source (so that it expands), the other near a cold source (such as resting in some ice, so that it contracts.)
This shows the different volumes of a given amount of air at different temperatures. (Bernoullie's (sp?) law or something-or-other.... )

I made it up on the fly, but it should be easy to do (though you should experiment first!) You'll have to supply your own BS.... :D ;D

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

This seems pretty basic. You'd have to help, tho.
And can be done in plenty of time :)

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Chem_p016.shtml?from=Home

A Soluble Separation Solution

Project Summary
Difficulty 1
Time required Very Short (a day or less)
Prerequisites none
Material Availability Readily available
Cost Very Low (under $20)
Safety No hazards, but requires adult supervision with oven and boiling water in the tea kettle.

Objective

In this experiment you will learn about soluble and insoluble chemicals, and use the difference in solubility of salt and pepper to separate the components of a mixture.

Introduction

Chemistry is the study of matter and how matter behaves and interacts with other kinds of matter. The way that matter behaves is called a "property" of matter. Everything around us is made of matter, and you can explore the properties of matter using some common chemicals around your home.

One important property of matter is called "solubility." We think about solubility when we dissolve something in water. If a chemical is soluble in water, then when you add it to water it will dissolve, or disappear. If it is not soluble, then it will not dissolve and you will still see it floating around in the water.

When you add a soluble chemical to dissolve in water you are making a "solution," and solutions are very important for chemistry. We call the chemical you are adding the "solute" and the liquid that it dissolves in the "solvent." Even though after a solute dissolves in a solvent it becomes invisible, it is still there. If you were to evaporate all of the liquid away from the solution, you would be left with your dry chemical again. In fact, this is how salt is processed in giant salt flats where seawater is slowly evaporated, leaving behind huge amounts of sea salt.

All of the different kinds of matter can be sorted into categories based upon whether they are soluble or not in different solvents. Because of this, the properties and solubility of different chemicals can be used to separate mixtures of chemicals. A chemical mixture is a blend of two or more different kinds of chemicals where the individual chemicals do not react with each other, but remain separate. You can see an example of this when you look closely at a dry mixture of salt and pepper.

In this experiment, you will use the different properties of the chemicals in salt and pepper to separate a mixture. By doing this, you will learn about the solubility of soluble and insoluble chemicals.

Terms, Concepts and Questions to Start Background Research

To do this type of experiment you should know what the following terms mean. Have an adult help you search the internet, or take you to your local library to find out more!

* chemical
* crystals
* mixture
* solution
* soluble
* solute
* solvent
* insoluble
* filtration
* evaporation

Bibliography

* This website at Chemistry 4 Kids has a great tutorial on chemistry, matter properties and mixtures. Go check it out:
Rader, Andrew. 2005. Rader's Chem4Kids. Andrew Rader Studios. 12/13/05.
http://www.chem4kids.com/files/matter_intro.html
* Here is a fun experiment that explores the relationship between solubility and buoyancy, using salt, water and a golfball:
Anonymous, 2005. "Lab Zone: Great Salt Golf Ball." Science News for Kids. Washington, D.C. 12/13/05.
http://www.sciencenewsforkids.org/articles/20051019/LZActivity.asp
* Cobb, Vikki, 1972. "Science Experiments You Can Eat." Harper Collins, New York, NY. 12/13/05
http://www.vickicobb.com/scienceyoueat.html

Materials and Equipment

* salt
* pepper
* tea kettle
* 2 small glass jars with lids
* water
* measuring cup
* funnel
* coffee filter
* magnifying lens

Experimental Procedure

1. Before you begin, you will want to examine your salt and pepper closely and make some initial observations. Place some salt and pepper on a napkin and using your magnifying glass, make some observations and draw what you see. What do you notice? Record your observations in a data table like the one shown below:

Salt Pepper
Observations before mixing
Amount before mixing
Observations of mixture
Total amount of mixture
Observations after adding
water
Observations after
separation & drying
Amount after
separation & drying
2. In your glass jar, add 1/4 cup of salt, and 1/4 cup of coarsely ground pepper.
3. Put the lid on your jar and shake until the salt and pepper are completely mixed together.
4. Using your magnifying lens, look closely at the mixture. What do you notice? Can you still see the individual grains of salt and pepper? Record your observations in your data table.
5. Put the teakettle on the stove, and heat up some boiling water.
6. Pour 1/2 cup of boiling water into your jar and stir with a spoon. Be careful and get help from a parent or adult, the glass will get very hot!
7. Using your magnifying lens, look closely at your solution. What do you notice? Can you still see the individual grains of salt and pepper? Record your observations in your data table.
8. Place the coffee filter in the funnel and place the funnel in the top of your second glass jar to make your separation apparatus:

Separation Apparatus
9. Slowly pour the solution over your filter, being careful not to pour too much at once. As the solution seeps through the filter, let it collect in your jar.
10. Now look at the coffee filter, what do you see? Carefully scrape off any particles with a spoon and place them into the first glass jar.
11. Place both glass jars onto a cookie sheet, and bake in the oven at 325 degrees until all of the water has evaporated from both of the jars. You will need an adults help with this.
12. Remove the jars and allow them to cool to room temperature before handling. They will be very hot!
13. After the jars are cool, use your magnifying lens to make observations of the two jars. What do you notice? Can you still see the individual grains of salt and pepper? Are they mixed together or separated? Record your observations in your data table.
14. Now carefully use a measuring cup to measure the amount of salt and pepper you ended up with. Do these amounts match the amounts you started with? Why do you think this happened?

Variations

* Many different chemicals have different solubilities. By adding different amounts of salt, sugar or baking soda to water you can see how soluble each chemical is. Just add each chemical a teaspoon at a time to a glass of water until you notice that it no longer dissolves when you stir it around. Be sure to use the same amount of water for each experiment! The chemical that dissolves the most into the same amount of water is the most soluble, and the chemical that dissolves that least is the least soluble. Try it!
* How might temperature affect the solubility of a chemical? Try dissolving the same amount of sugar in hot water, room temperature water and ice-cold water. What happens? Can you think of other variables that might affect solubility

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Here is one that is easy. Which brand of flashlight battery lasts the longest.

Buy a few brands of batteries, Energizer, Duracell, Brand X etc... buy same number of flashlights ( cheap ones). Plug in, turn on, monitor and keep notes on brightness of flash lights as time passes.

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Thanks a ton for all the great ideas.

Were gonna give them a shot and see which one works the best for her. She will have to do the experiment at school, or at least demonstrate what she can of it while explaining things as she goes.

Again, Thanks so much for the help ;D

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

Be sure to tell us which project you go with (and if it wins.) ;D

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

Go to http:blog,makezine.com/archive/diy_projects/ You will find hundreds of projects,from mild to wild, to do at home. Everything from elementary to advanced learning capabilities and tools. I'm sure you will find just the right project for your child and maybe one for you too.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oil can effect with a candle driving a small boat. Let them try to figure how it works ehehe it goes Put, put, put and moves right aong. Maybe $5:00 US

Don Jose de La Mancha

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

How about a simple demo of how to harness the power of the Sun? An old coffee can painted flat black, filled with water and set it in the sunlight, with a thermometer in the water. Folks are always amazed at how HOT water will get just from direct sunlight, taking advantage of how the color black absorbs the light. It is also incredibly easy to build a small solar oven, using nothing but cardboard box and aluminum foil. Such a demonstration would also be in line with the current fad to 'go green'.

Good luck I hope your daughter wins first place!
Oroblanco

OP
OP
TeddyB1967

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Just wanted to update on the science fair. It was held yesterday during school hours and the projects were on display lastnight for the parents.

The fair was for students in 3rd, 4th & 5th grades. Out of all the students that particpated, there were 5 that did basically the same project as my daughter.... (Making an Egg Float) with slight variations. They were all different in one way or another.

Before going into how my daughter (Samantha) did, I have to say one of the teachers that did the judging has me really upset for her comments she made to my daughter. She said it didn't work and to stop her demo. (well no s*** if you can't complete it, it's not gonna work) then she told Sami "it didn't look like a science project". The other teacher (judge) said that maybe Sami got the warm water and cold water mixed up and that's why it didnt work. Sami told them both it wasn't working because she didnt add enough salt (she only got to 3 teaspoons of salt with the egg only going about half way to the top, and from our practice tests it took 4 to get the egg to go all the way to the top) but they said that was ok, she could stop anyway's.
Sami packed up her items and returned to class, never completing the whole project demo. Sami never got to do the second half of the project, where adding fresh water to the salt water will drop the egg back down and float between the layer of salt water and fresh water. The judges didnt know there was a second part because they never read her info on her display board and didnt give her the opportunity to finish the demostration.

To me, my opinion, this was WRONG! I don't care if there were 50 kids that did the exact same project, they ALL should have been allowed to fully complete their project steps whether it was working or not.

Aside from that, I don't think a lot of the projects were judged fairly. There were some that were really super cool, with great displays but scored low while other projects were cool but the display boards were not the greatest with missing information and a few steps not listed scored really high.

For example, I took a few pics of the 5 projects similar to Sami's. Just looking at the pics, which one would you vote for as being the better display? Take into account, they were all judged on the same requirements.
(Name on the display, title, materials listed, all the scientific steps shown, neatness, uncluttered looking, pics/graphs showing the project steps. etc.)
Here are the pics of the display boards, Sami's being one of the 5 (not numbered in any particular order, Names & faces blacked out)
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/KaMeSa_2006/Science Project/Image1.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/KaMeSa_2006/Science Project/Image2.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/KaMeSa_2006/Science Project/Image3.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/KaMeSa_2006/Science Project/Image4.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/KaMeSa_2006/Science Project/Image5.jpg

I'll letcha know later which one was Sami's and how she scored. The projects were scored "supposedly" the same way from a Scoresheet. The sheet listed the requirements with the possible number of points to earn and then all the points added up at the end.
0 to 39 points received a green ribbon for participating
40 to 42 received a white ribbon for 3rd place
43 to 46 points received a red ribbon for 2nd place
47 to 50 points got a blue ribbon for first place
Everyone that participated received a ribbon

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta

Montana Jim said:

Thats a good experiment... :thumbsup:

Can you tell I don't have kids? :sign10:
Just read this thread, and this was the funniest thing I've seen all day ;D! Thanks for the laugh! Gpurs...

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

If they had treated MY kid like that (I don't have any), the second half of the experiment would have been:

"Ballistic Effects of Trajectorally Accelerated Oological Organic Compounds on the Fecal-containment Brain Casing of Discourteous Homo Sapiens" ;D

Sorry to hear how she was treated. Don't let her get discouraged by the experience, but instead use the opportunity to teach about rising above the pettiness of others. She'll run into a lot of people like that throughout life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread