What Will You Do When Gas Hits $10 a gallon & Heating Fuel Doubles ?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
What Will You Do When Gas Hits $10 a gallon & Heating Fuel Doubles ?

Just a few years ago we all laughed when they told us gas would reach $5 a gallon in the U.S.

Today few are laughing anymore.

Now the predictions are as high as $10 a gallon within the next few years.

Now we consider all the wage cuts (benefits, etc.) and job loses, how do you plan to deal with the future?

What things will U give up?

What will U drive?

Any thoughts?

S

skydiv

Re: What Will You Do When Gas Hits $10 a gallon?

I am 61, I will retire in the spring. I don't have a pension, or a big 401 package. How can I do this? 38 years ago I bought a small old 2 bedroom house for 10,500. Lot size was 75x200 and the taxes were 250.00 a year. we had 2 kids in 6 years so we sold this house and bought a bigger one. we've been here ever since so the house is paid for. I never had a 2nd mortgage on the house or home equity. I do without all the crap I don't need. cell phones, Ipod, big screen tv's, I don't bowl, I don't golf, I don't drink or smoke I don't go to the movies. We live a simple life and were happy with it. The trouble with the people in this country is there wants are 10 times bigger than there needs. Why do I know this? I have 4 kids that try to keep up with the Jones. I have been laid off a few times over the years and each time I could make my house payment on unemployment. Gas prices for my car I don't worry about too much, I can do without my car, I worry more about heating gas because heating gas will likely be twice what it was this past winter and it was 230.00 a month.
A question for you math people. in 1976 I bought my house for 24,500 and taxes were 450.00 a year. Today my taxes are 2200.00 a year with a value of 93000.00. If your taxes go up at the same rate as mine, what will your taxes be when your in your house for 38 years. My point is the value of my house means nothing to me because I look at my house as a roof over my head, not an investment. You can have all that stuff I mentioned earlier but you won't need it on the railroad tracks with the other homeless. You still should be able to pay 10.00 for gas, you just have to give up other things and not drive as far.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11

Everything we own is paid for. We owe no one. Just your regular monthly bills...lights, food...etc.....If gas goes up to $10 a gallon EVERYTHING will go up along with it. My husband and I can survive. It is my children\grandchildren whom I worry about. I guess we will deal with the matter when\is it comes time to cross that bridge. I prefer to take one day at a time. This is how I live my life. Tomorrow can take care of its self. If you made a list you would be surprised at many of the things you could live without if you have to.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Pepper2004 said:
Everything we own is paid for. We owe no one. Just your regular monthly bills...lights, food...etc.....If gas goes up to $10 a gallon EVERYTHING will go up along with it. My husband and I can survive. It is my children\grandchildren whom I worry about. I guess we will deal with the matter when\is it comes time to cross that bridge. I prefer to take one day at a time. This is how I live my life. Tomorrow can take care of its self. If you made a list you would be surprised at many of the things you could live without if you have to.

Great post Pepper!

So true.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I agree with Skydiv......I personally don't care what the "Joneses" or "Smiths" etc have....I live to what fits my NEEDS first and then my WANTS.

Big Screen TVs, all the latest in stereos, appliances, etc....pretty cool...but I have no real desire to own them. And that will only increase my electric bills!! I have donated so much to good will this year of items that, if not used in a years time...is out of here!!! I am learning also to build my own furniture. It's learning the tools!! That is fun LOL. I'm working on my boys room right now....wish me luck!

We, as Pepper stated...have NO BILLS (other than utilities, car ins and mortage). We OWN everything in this house (except for the house! Working on that LOL). Our NEEDS are to make sure our utilities, car ins and mortage are paid and that there is plenty of food in the house and when the kids need new clothes or something regarding their education. Our WANTS are what is on our wish lists....and many times over, those wishes DO NOT get granted.

I went to the library yesterday to do a genealogy lookup and saw brochures on local bus schedules. I picked up some for my area and for places I like to venture and this summer will be teaching my boys how to use the public transportation system. We just have buses and they DO NOT run 24-7...but work is in the mill for a public transportation system (trains) as my boss, her house is one that is being bought buy the city to make room for a new station at Newtown Rd (in Va Beach). But this is something my boys need to learn. I grew up in NYC and the subways and buses were the way we got around...and we could usually get there faster by train and/or bus than by car with all the traffic back-ups!!!

Been teaching my boys about gardening (actually teaching myself in the process...I can grow weeds well, it's the good stuff I seem to let die LOL)....

We do alot of camping and we have enough equipment that God Forbid, something where to happen to our home...we could survive and save money on hotels!!!

And as Pepper, I know hubby and I would be ok, but I too, worry about my kids (no grandbabies yet :( )...only my dau is on her own, but my boys are still at home. The boys would be ok as long as they are with us and my dau will be stationed back home come the end of the year...so I will have all my kids in the same area AGAIN!!! :)

But the future, I listen to the kids at work and think what lies ahead for them. I don't remember struggling like they seem to be when I was their age. But then again, I wasn't one of those kids that had to have the latest in technology then. Guess that is the way my parents raised me....

But as for gas, I ride my bike alot (except bad weather and night) and I can make a tank of gas last a month (sometimes 3 weeks)...however, hubby works a distances and driving is his only option at this time and there is noone close that he can car pool with.

We need to learn, if we don't know already, to learn to live with the basics and to teach our kids. They may not understand, care or have a desire...but one day, they will be grateful you taught them. Learning to conserve, using what resources we have now, and learning how to get along without our WANTS and understand that our NEEDS are more important.

Michigan Badger....that sounds intersting what you said about a new heating system. If you find anything out about it...please post. I have been trying to think of ways to save money on heating (we use gas). Even though we did notice a decline in our heating bill this past winter (mainly due to new windows we had put in two years before and work in the house to secure our home)...but I don't forsee this winter coming to be as low. I even thought of portable gas heaters. In Italy, I used propane to heat, but you had to leave a window cracked. We did this for 3 years. (THANKS, after I posted this I saw your post with the link)

K

Kentucky Kache

Re: What Will You Do When Gas Hits $10 a gallon & Heating Fuel Doubles ?

Anybody got a good horse for sale?

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11

I belive that when a few oil exc start to get killed them the price would drop right now.
When they are makeing millans a year and laughing at us it might just take that to bring the price down

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I think everyone has to think that if gas and heating goes up...everything else will also....I have no debt and am also preparing for the near future as far as heating sources. We are planning on putting in a wood heating stove,because we have plenty of Free dead wood on our property that can provide heat. We are also looking at raising our own beef because we also have the land for them. And yes...horses...

I try not to buy processed foods and can a lot of our own vegetables,sauces,fruit etc. We are planting a huge garden and also putting in more fruit trees,berries and grapes.

I think it will affect the younger generation the most...because they are so used to 'running" ...clubs,games.practices,their friends houses ,shopping etc.

You will begin to see alot more "stay at home parents' in a household and people downsizing. We are a "I want it and I buy it country" ...and that will change dramatically.....no more credit cards....no more two family incomes because wages are to low to pay for childcare and gas...it wont be worth it.

I think that if push comes to shove alot of people are going to be in for a very rude awakening. So many people have no clue how to hunt or fish for meat,put in a garden or can their own food or make do with little or nothing. They don't know how to sew or cook or clean...if its not done for them...they panic. They have everything possible under the sun....a gadget for everything....and cant figure out how to tie their own shoes.

My entire philosophy for our family is to simplify and get back to the basics of what is important in life...family......God .....education ....spending quality family time doing the simply things that don't cost a lot.....

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250

Michigan Badger said:
Here's an interesting website in regard to our subject:

EndenPure heaters reduce your heating bill by up to 50%

http://www.edenpurestore.com/

Apparently..more hype than heat....

http://www.infomercialratings.com/product/edenpure_heater_reviews

I believe Consumer Reports(Oct 2007?) rated it dead last of all electric heaters it tested

Some googling will produce more than you want to read about these things...

Here's a comment culled from one consumer web site that kind of sums it up:

Dec 28, 2007
I worked at an electric company for 25 years answering questions about “new” “miracle” electric heaters. they all say they are the most efficient electric heaters in the world. well they are. that’s because every electric heater in the world converts a kilo-watt hour of electricity into 3413 BTUs. period. can’t do better or worse. a 1500 watt heater is a 1500 watt heater. you can buy them for $12 or wrap a mantel around them, call them a miracle, install cool looking fake flames and charge $400. 1500 watts= 1.5 kilo-watts. 1.5 x 3413= 5119 BTU produced by a 1500 watt heater. all 1500 watt heaters. the cost depends on your local rate of electricity, not a national average. If you pay 10 cents per kwh, then a 1500 wat heater will cost you 15 cents per hour. period.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Apply for Emergency Help from the Government.
Take everything you can get from them.

Once the majority of the People Cry it's Impossable
and apply for help,

The government will cry It's Impossable to help everyone who needs it..

Then the majority of the people Will react.

and things Will get done

At the moment people in Government have no sense of what Struggling is
till they get a taste of it.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250

Gypsy, as usual, makes a good point....back to basics...a real big problem could occur if we start seeing a shortage of essential goods regardless of higher prices...ie food, fuel...living off the land is fine...but very few in this country have the land, let alone the skills to be self sufficent.....then what?...the government can't hand out the food, if it's not in the pantry..

MB...while it may not be practical everywhere...this is probably one of the best ways for tapping a free heat/cooling source....even possible for do-it-yourselfer with the means to do so..

http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_home/space_heating_cooling/index.cfm/mytopic=12640

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

I have been preparing for a few years now to live self-sufficiently. I am not there yet, but I have come a long way. It will be almost impossible if you live in large city, or maybe a rural area. You have to have more acreage than most people have. You don't have live primitive either, solar,wind,wood,even grass clippings, can be used for energy purposes. Gowing your own food may become a necessity if fuel drives food prices much higher. I am continuously installing devices to ease electric and fuel bills. It may become necessary for extended families to live together in a commune or larger groups just to make ends meet. I wish you all good luck, whichever way you decide to approach the situation.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
Apply for Emergency Help from the Government.
Take everything you can get from them.

Once the majority of the People Cry it's Impossable
and apply for help,

The government will cry It's Impossable to help everyone who needs it..

Then the majority of the people Will react.

and things Will get done

At the moment people in Government have no sense of what Struggling is
till they get a taste of it.
Very true....aa

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

I didn't follow the links given about electric heaters but I will say this . There are oil filled electric heaters that have an electric heating element submerged in oil that works similar to an electric water heater . The electric element heats the oil & the oil then radiates heat for a much longer period of time than an electric heater that just puts out heat while it's consuming electricity . These electric heaters have a thermostat that turns the electricity on & off to the element . The ones I have seen look similar to the older hot water radiators in older homes . Don't know how much they would save over standard electric heaters but in theory
seems to me they would provide more heat with less electric than standard heaters .
Also , if possible , when buying electric powered products , buy products that use 220 / 240 volts instead of 115 / 120 volts . The amperage draw will be about 1/2 as much & that will save you money . You might have to install a 220 volt circuit but for long term use the savings will more than pay for it . I would never use an electric heating device that used 120 volts unless I had positively no choice . Same goes for water heaters , water pumps , ect.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250

WV Hillbilly said:
I didn't follow the links given about electric heaters but I will say this . There are oil filled electric heaters that have an electric heating element submerged in oil that works similar to an electric water heater . The electric element heats the oil & the oil then radiates heat for a much longer period of time than an electric heater that just puts out heat while it's consuming electricity . These electric heaters have a thermostat that turns the electricity on & off to the element . The ones I have seen look similar to the older hot water radiators in older homes . Don't know how much they would save over standard electric heaters but in theory
seems to me they would provide more heat with less electric than standard heaters .
Also , if possible , when buying electric powered products , buy products that use 220 / 240 volts instead of 115 / 120 volts . The amperage draw will be about 1/2 as much & that will save you money . You might have to install a 220 volt circuit but for long term use the savings will more than pay for it . I would never use an electric heating device that used 120 volts unless I had positively no choice . Same goes for water heaters , water pumps , ect.

I don't want to turn MB's post into an electrical discussion however..

You may be right about the oil filled heaters...but the use of 110 vs 220 volts is basically the same in terms of you electric bill...you're paying for kilowatt hrs...so if its 110 at 10 amps or 220 at 5 amps...you're still using 1100 watts..there might be a saving do to the power lost in the heating of the wire...but nothing significant..there are other reasons for choosing 220 over 110 but saving money on your electric bill isn't one of them..

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CONVERT MY CHEVY 350 ENGINE AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT REQUIRES GASOLINE TO RUN ON HHO! Which I am considering here in the next couple of weeks. SCREW THE OIL COMPANIES! They would have a $h!t fit if everyojne didn't need the oils and fuels!

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Every one has a different financial situation, but the high price of gas is having an effect on everyone. The consumer is at the bottom of the economic feeding pool. All businesses that have to fork out higher amounts of income for gas will pass it on to ......yep.... the consumer. Yes, folks, that is you and me.

The end result will be folks cutting back on what is necessary and what is not necessary. Going out to eat is not necessary, going to the movies is not necessary, clubbing is not necessary etc...

Getting to work is necessary, buying groceries is necessary, paying you bills is necessary. Some folks will have to take a hard look at their life styles and make some difficult decisions.

The decline in the US dollar is also a contributing factor as far as the price of oil is concerned.

Will it get any better? Or should I ask will it get any worse? Probably worse. So start cutting back now, for those of you who can.

Uncle Sam has a lot of programs that people qualify for but do not apply for. You might take a second look at you eligibility for some of these programs. It could only help the situation.

My sons friend recently applied for food stamps and was awarded $500 a month for himself, wife and two children.

Ray S

emtrescue

Dec 26, 2007
Church Hill, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I',m on a mobile device so unfortunately I'm unable to read all the posts thoroughly. In response to the original question : fake a back injury, (physical diability) become depressed (mental disability), and maybe fake becoming an addict. Then I'll just draw disability and get government housing. Of course I'm joking, but you know people will do that.

S

Smee

Ray S ECenFL said:
Every one has a different financial situation, but the high price of gas is having an effect on everyone. The consumer is at the bottom of the economic feeding pool. All businesses that have to fork out higher amounts of income for gas will pass it on to ......yep.... the consumer. Yes, folks, that is you and me.

The end result will be folks cutting back on what is necessary and what is not necessary. Going out to eat is not necessary, going to the movies is not necessary, clubbing is not necessary etc...

And thus could we be creating a never ending downward spiral . . . Scenario:

The high price of gas, as well as the other price increases which result from it, reduces "discretionary spending".

Now folks in the service industries (restaurants, theaters, etc.) are laid off because there aren't enough patrons to justify the employer retaining them. This further reduces the amount of money in circulation, because these people who make a living off of our discretionary spending now will not have the income to pay for other goods and services which they may buy from us or our employers.

Now our incomes are reduced, maybe we get laid off, and yet prices continue to rise because of the transportation costs, production costs, and other increases so that these gasoline and diesel producers get rich. The high prices will affect them last because they have more money than their grandkids can spend (at least that's what they think now).

Farmers cannot afford to sell crops at the same prices, and since production costs have soared. This leaves them with two choices: Let it rot in the field and lose everything they have, or sell it to a commodity broker at a loss and still lose everything they have because they will never get the price they need to continue farming. Bankruptcies follow, along with the consolidation of farmland which will not be used because the bank doesn't farm.

This is when it becomes interesting. How? When there is no food to buy, what are they going to do with all that money they've been taking from the working man? (I like the reading of Ezekiel 7:19, 20)

As I see it, the only good thing about all this is that the NON PRODUCERS who have been making a living off of the working man and woman will soon be in the same boat as the rest of us, all as a result of their greed.

I hear commodities brokers taste like pork . . .

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

It seems to me that a person who adequately retrenches to a state of self sufficiency in material, food, and heating resource (wood, electric, or whatever) will also become an immediate target for the have-nots to focus upon.

I would therefore respectfully suggest that the skills and methods of self defense should be a major focus for someone who has most of the other necessities taken care of.

I also have to disagree with Jeff regarding whining to the feds. I personally do not believe there will be adequate federal resources to even begin to manage a nationwide problem at the individual level. In a real national emergency, I think the Feds will first take care of the Feds, and will look out through time and decide they better keep the rest (of the available resources) too, just in case.

I have to agree with Gypsy, become as self sufficient as possible in your personal circumstances, learn/teach each other within family units or communities about becoming as self sufficient as possible. I would add be prepared to defend yourself, your family and/or your community against the 'have-not' that would rather take resources than work for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread