Anyone ever open a bar before?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

cival war hunter 2 !

Dec 29, 2007
My grandparents opened a bar. Will you make a buket you know with the tickets, i love that game, i spent a houndred dallors on that thing.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Dad always said to be a successful bar owner, one must hate to drink...to many times the profit is being consumed by the owner.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never owned one but worked one for Many years.

First things to remember are Location, and the laws.

in many areas police will watch for those who drive home after.
Insurance would be high, because you can be arrested for serving intoxicated
patrons. You can be arrested for somone getting in an accident,
and be sued after. in some areas you can be arrested for loud music,
or fights. & have your bar closed.

believe it or not Thanks to "Mad mothers against freedom to
drink alcohol except when they drink it
" , there is a war on against bars in many areas.

Hope I didn't discourage you.
And Good Luck !

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
wvdrummer said:
My grandparents did. Will make a buket you know with the tickets, i love that game, i spent a houndred dallors on that thing.
I'm sorry but, what are you talking about, drummer?

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
at the vets club they have the bucket tickets they make a lot of money off them too :)
never opened a bar to many headachs and can get sued for a lot of reasons so have good insurance

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
handy said:
at the vets club they have the bucket tickets they make a lot of money off them too :)
never opened a bar to many headachs and can get sued for a lot of reasons so have good insurance
Still not getting it... What's a bucket ticket? ???

cival war hunter 2 !

Dec 29, 2007
Theres a bucket full of tickets and you pell them and it has numbers if the numbers are red that pays for five or ten tickets. If you get a ticket with two red 00 you get a tip. You come back if you do have two red 00 when the bucket is emty. You could win 100 dollars to 900 dollars. each ticket costs 1.00.

af1733 said:
handy said:
Still not getting it... What's a bucket ticket? ???

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a couple of people who make thier money from opening a bar then selling it within 2 years. They say that the bar is hot and you build up the clients then sell it off for a better price. After 2 years bars tend to hit a lull and within 5 years you are in a rut. That is why so many change names and management so often.

Also it depends on the type of bar you want to open a night club hot spot, sports pub, or a little hole in the wall where folks play pool and darts. You have a lot of competion in Austin. You might be able to do well with a bar that attracts locals and folks that aren't into the whole club scene. Maybe do something that has weekly jam sessions for locals.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
wvdrummer said:
Theres a bucket full of tickets and you pell them and it has numbers if the numbers are red that pays for five or ten tickets. If you get a ticket with two red 00 you get a tip. You come back if you do have two red 00 when the bucket is emty. You could win 100 dollars to 900 dollars. each ticket costs 1.00.
Maybe someone could elaborate?? :-\

It is like a drawing or lottery that you buy tickets for?

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
txkickergirl said:
I know a couple of people who make thier money from opening a bar then selling it within 2 years. They say that the bar is hot and you build up the clients then sell it off for a better price. After 2 years bars tend to hit a lull and within 5 years you are in a rut. That is why so many change names and management so often.

Also it depends on the type of bar you want to open a night club hot spot, sports pub, or a little hole in the wall where folks play pool and darts. You have a lot of competion in Austin. You might be able to do well with a bar that attracts locals and folks that aren't into the whole club scene. Maybe do something that has weekly jam sessions for locals.
6th Street does have quite a variety, doesn't it? No better bang for your buck than Esther's Follies, though.

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
the buckett is like a lottery ticket there are many varionts of buckett games but they make a lot of money :) just like haveing a football pool you make a few bucks on it and it will get filled up fast mostly but in some places you have to be a privet club or do it under the table :) i hope that helped a little :) try going to any vet club and you will see a lot of differnt game of chance people play :)

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
handy said:
the buckett is like a lottery ticket there are many varionts of buckett games but they make a lot of money :) just like haveing a football pool you make a few bucks on it and it will get filled up fast mostly but in some places you have to be a privet club or do it under the table :) i hope that helped a little :) try going to any vet club and you will see a lot of differnt game of chance people play :)

I'll have to give that a try, thanks!

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
"I was thinking of perhaps talking to a few
friends and see if they wanted to invest/partnership."

You will be spending 24 hours a day keeping an
eye on your "friends".

:wink:

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
Sorry Mike, I never opened one, but I've closed more than I care to admit. :tard: :tongue3: :D ;D

Back in the drinking days had a really cool bartender. He'd pour me in the cab pay the driver + tip and send me on my way! Needless to say he got big tips from me. Oh, he did this way before all the legal precidents making bar owners/bartenders liable for God knows what :D

My old Italian uncle owned a bar, he liked it and made fair money until the City fathers swept up ALL the bars while trying to eliminate the citys two strip bars.

Side note The City got the state to jerk one strip bars liquor license. The owner said okey dokey, jerked all the beer taps started selling sodas and fruit juices & dropping the 21 year limit to 18 since 18 was now age of adulthood! Boy did that start a flurry of Codes and lawsuits since there were no laws on the books dealing with this yet. Funny thing, his business quadrupled due to people wanting to see what all the ruckus was and to support him standing up against the city fathers!

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Yep... all good input. I'm thinking it'll be a locals pub. I see the successful ones always have a large number of residents in their radius. My idea is to pick a place like this, that has no competition. I'll just have to research when the time comes.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
If you can get the Austin Lounge Lizards to open your joint, you'll probably do well!

Good luck,
rmptr

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
You will be spending 24 hours a day keeping an eye on your "friends".
=========================================================================
Great point there, the more hands in the kitty, the less money you see. Free drinks to too many 'friends', bar-tenders
drinking on duty, insurance, DUI's blaming you for accidents, even competitors turning you in for taking business away.
Owning a bar IMO, is a one man , one boss operation. Most bars have specials or sell a cheap carry out beer, I've seen
those if given the chance, to buy cases of the fast selling beer & sell it out of the bar's cooler at a markup & pocket the money. If you have poker machines or others that pay off, the scams are amazing, you can lose your shirt on a bartender
& player hook-up. Good luck .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread