California Cell Phone Use in Vehicles

S

stefen

A new law will go into effect beginning the 1st of July whereby hands-on cell phone use while operating a vehicle will be illegal.

Numerous ear-mounted cell phones and hands-free phone receivers mounted on sun-visors, dashboards or windshield will be permitted.

Personally, I think that the ear-type cell phone looks funny, if not, totally ridiculous.

Hopefully, someday a better and more efficient cell phone will be invented and marketed to the public...maybe a little better than the Maxwell Smart shoe-phone.

I told a friend the other day who was wearing an EarPhone that AT & T was working on an 'Under-The-Skin' implant similar to the birth control pill. In fact, AT & T is working on a suppository-phone so he could talk to other A$$holes. :thumbsup:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
press #2 for voice mail ::)

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there should be a bounty on drivers that use a cell phone while driving.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
yeah,i got one and do not talk and drive. bad enough when on an ambulance/fire call and on a hand held radio trying to get directions and keep the program headed in the right perspective. with work we are on ny state thruway a lot. about one in five are on a phone. one lady had a phone on her shoulder, a cup of coffee in one hand with that wrist holding the wheel while shuffling papers on her steering wheel with the other hand! she blew by our work truck 80 or more. we were doing 75. crazy!

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
I know someone in Mi that pulled over to use there phone a cop pulled up asked what the problem was she told him just pulled over to make a call he said dont do that.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Ryan seems to be trying to turn on the charm after the direct approach failed.

I still get belly laughs when I see people talking to steering wheels and cereal boxes. Can't see the earbud gizmo so they just look nuts.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ain't got no phone so i guess i cant break that law

OP
OP
S

stefen

Guess I can segue this conversation sinced I am a close personal friend of this topic poster...

Yes, there are people that talk to steeting wheels or are just walking down a street talking up a storm and gestulating to beat the band...

I'm sure that most of you have experienced a persons voice jumping about 40db over normal conversation levels...like the idiot on the other end can't hear :tard:

On more than on one occassion, I have interrupted a conversation when the persons voice level interrupted my slurping and open-mouth chewing sounds...short of throwing toast or a baked potato at them just to get their attention...

One day, I asked a waitress if she'd inform a business women three booths away to use her library voice...she refused. (She was a valued customer as if I'm not)

Simple. If you don't care about your other customers, I think I can manage sound control within my environment. So I would walk up to her an in a polite voice say...TAKE IT OUTSIDE.

Better yet, make beleive you are holding a phone to your ear and say in a voice louder than hers 'SPEAK UP JOHN. I CAN'T HEAR YOU...SOME BROAD IS SCREAMING INTO HER PHONE'. Done this also and beleive me is solves the problem immediately.

Now where was I?

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Warm day windows down grooving to some moderately load western swing the Broad next to me at the light says "CAN YOU TURN THAT DOWN I'M ON THE PHONE" and she was serious. :icon_scratch:

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
How did we survive all those years without the cell phone and text messaging.... ??? ??? ??? :-\ Oh wait the old dime than quarter than fifty cent pay phones! :sad1:

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Took my family to a festival and as we were splitting to go see different things I set up the time tested meet at this place at this time. After a while the cell phone rings and the kid asks where are we meeting again. Then I realize if I need to find her just call. It's a new world. Excuse me I got to go flip over the record and take some film to get developed.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,
Well, I live in SoCal, and every-single-day I have to watch a -young- woman laughing on the phone, while putting on her makeup. Completely oblivious to traffic. She will wander from lane to lane and have the nerve to give you the finger because she nearly missed her exit. Before the ladies goe nuts here, I will be the first to say that not ALL women are like this, and yes some men can be bad as well. But I do see ALOT of the under 30 ( female ) crowd in this category. I think it goes back to that fact that the older generation " tries " to drive a little safer. Maybe it's because we feel we are closer to our own finale. So if the state thinks this is a safer way.... and the law says we must... then I'm for it. I mean no call is worth someone else's life PERIOD!!!

Just trying to keep us all alive

PLL

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't wait for that law to go nation-wide. Cell phone users driving scare me and tick me off.

I can't tell you how many times driving down the highway and having someone blow past me doing 80, cut in the lane in front of me, then slow down 15 miles an hour under the speed limit as they talk on their phone, not paying any attention to the road, then when I pass them they realize how slow they're going and speed back up to 80 so I can't pass.

And yea, they are the ones that flip me the bird like I was the one doing something wrong.

Then you get those weaving back and forth on the road multi-tasking as they talk on the phone, drinking their drink or reading something. I hang wayyyyy back from them waiting for that head on collision when they drift into the oncomming lane.

I have bluetooth for my cell and even feel a bit distracted if I get a call when driving. I cut the calls short and explain to whomever i'll call them back. I feel funny wearing it and limit it's use to the car. Blinking blue light...I feel like a neon sign if I wear it in public.
Al

OP
OP
S

stefen

Urban Prospector said:
Warm day windows down grooving to some moderately load western swing the Broad next to me at the light says "CAN YOU TURN THAT DOWN I'M ON THE PHONE" and she was serious. :icon_scratch:

;D

Attachments

• Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    Oy! That\'s funny..gif
    50.5 KB · Views: 158

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I used to respond in a squad car with a radio, a phone, run checklists, make lightning fast decisions, have a computer on, direct other units, and have a siren going... sometimes (rarley) all at once - it can be a bit much at times - Thankfully I was trained, and I never had a problem.

Yet every day I watch ALMOST a million (maybe more...) accidents... it's a young driver on a cell phone.

I do NOT think there should be a law - but I DO think there should be incredible penalties if you cause an accident and were on the phone at the time.

Once again - everybody pays for the stupid people's inability to control themselves.

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey all,
I saw on the news that the first offense is a $20 fine and the 2nd is $50. However I did hear that IF you are in a accident and they can PROVE that you were on the phone ( your phone records ), then yes you can be held liable in a criminal and civil court. They also said that there is nothing outlawing texting which the cops said is just as bad. Imean I can remember a time when there was no answering machines, cellphones, pagers and everyone did fine... Or am I just getting toooo old..

PLL

OP
OP
S

stefen

TreasureTales said:
The state is going about this all wrong, IMO. It's not the handheld phone that is the problem, it's trying to talk and drive simultaneously that creates the hazards. It takes concentration to drive safely and it takes concentration to carry on a conversation. Better to ban talking on phones while driving rather than merely holding phones. I can hold a bottle of water while driving without any trouble, but I cannot carry on a conversation with a passenger without sacrificing either my driving skills or my communication skills.

Just don't talk when driving - that will solve a lot of problems.

As for me, I seldom use a cellphone. I am from the era when phones were black, they had a dial, and they had a long cord tethering them to the wall - and there was only one phone in the whole house. :icon_queen:

Good points TT...

The following comments are not directed to you so don't get your blue hair in a tither ;D

Women, use their hands while talking, which especially compounds the distractiion problem, while driving and talking to a companion...

Look Ma, no hands on the wheel...add to that, women by nature, must face those being talked to...

Therefore, all women should be ticketed by the CHP or local police when they are found driving with a passenger...

Simple logic tells you that they do not have control of the vehicle because driving interrupts normal conversation

Therefore, women drivers are a hazard to public health...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread