Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S

Smee

No waiting a week for the National Guard . . .

Live and learn from the mistakes of the past.

dingode

Mar 28, 2007
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was discussed at my work. We also compared the Grand Forks ND Red river flood to Katrina. We came up with a few answers, main thing was the Red river flood and the current one in Iowa didn't affect people that have been living off the goverment teat for generations, and are willing to help their themselves, their neighbors, and their community.

Erin

R

Rennwaggen

dingode said:
this was discussed at my work. We also compared the Grand Forks ND Red river flood to Katrina. We came up with a few answers, main thing was the Red river flood and the current one in Iowa didn't affect people that have been living off the goverment teat for generations, and are willing to help their themselves, their neighbors, and their community.

Erin

Think its more uban as opposed to rural. You grow up differently in a rural setting and are more able to handle adversity because you have more skills. There are other differences too.

They weren't trapped for days without a way to leave. In most cases, they got out first and then the flood came. Being from Louisiana, most of the folks there didn't believe that the hurricane could really do that much damage and that's why they didn't leave.

Dozens of times, the forecasters told them that those little storms were going to cause the kind of damage that you saw from katrina. Dozens of times, nothing happened, kinda like "crying wolf". Not everyone believed the storm would really be that bad, so they tried to ride it out. I know what its like, cause I've had to drag my dad kicking and screeming from that area when a big hurricane was coming. Finally got to where I stayed most of the time.

And as Smee said, the folks in the flooded areas now weren't left stranded in their homes for over a week before the cavalry arrived. The government isn't fighting over who gets recognition, they are just "gettin'-r-done" this time.

Leave them folks for long enough without evacuations before the flooding, and it might get pretty bad there too. I knew lots of them folks who died in Katrina. The ones I knew were hard working folks who thought they were tough enough to stand up to that storm. Some folks did take advantage of the situation. Unfortunately, the media only showed them and not the ones who did what was right. Made a better 5:00 news show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread