Some kids rang my doorbell and ran... well, sort of ran.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
So I'm waiting for my brother to get into town when my doorbell rings twice quickly. I get to the door - no one there. I step outside and notice the dogs aren't barking on the left side of the house, so they must of went to the right. I contemplate running after them in my socks, when all the sudden, 5 kids probably all 10-12 years old get up from behind the bush right in my OWN FRONT YARD, and run off down the road. I go inside, get on my bike and head down the road where I find them all sitting in their driveway. 4 girls and 1 boy. The boy sees me coming, and instead of running, he puts his head between his knees as if he's getting ready for the thrashing of his life. I tell them, "Don't worry guys, I'm not angry at ya'll. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't punk kids doing bad things. You see, I used to do this kind of stuff when I was your age. But, I need to tell you how it's done right. I tell them once the doorbell is rang, you run as far as you can, and DON'T stick around especially in the front yard - that's suicide. I also give them an extra tip by telling them to know where the barking dogs will be. Dogs will give away your location.

I just didn't have the heart to get onto a few kids that didn't have the since to actually leave the house they're trying to prank.

They come back around about an hour later to tell me they found a hurt bird and asked me what they should do. I told them "It'll be safe over by that bush you were behind earlier... no cats will get it". (didn't have the heart to tell them it probably won't make it).

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Looks like you don't have to worry about being pranked anymore and kinda found a few new friends..Guess kids are always expecting the hollering at bit that we grownups tend to dish out.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Yea, that's what I was thinking... but on the reverse side, I hope it doesn't lead to "Hey Mister... Do you wanna come out and play?" Every other day during the summer.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Very cool... you did good!

On the other hand, had you been vandalized... now thats a different story.

Ding-Dong Ditch... LOL

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
So are you going to tell them about toilet paper next lol. My sisters had friends stay over they went out toilet papering and one of there friends got caught i always wonder how do you explan that ?

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Good way to handle it! :thumbsup:

I thought in Texas they just shot kids for that type of behavior. :tongue3:

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get some 2lb. fishing line
a railroad spike
duct tape
a piece of thin rope
tie to the spike
tape the "door knocker" to the storm door
below knee level
spool out the line
then stand in a location
a few quick tugs then watch the fun

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You didn't tell them about leaving a flaming bag of dog poop? How about leaving a lit M-80 in a peanut butter jar or a watermelon...

Man- what's with todays kids... no imagination

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread