crash landed!

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
i've been flying my para plane 9 years and hit some nasty weather but always handled it well. i went up last night in dead calm and flew for an hour. all the sudden, bam! wind shear. i was tossed up and down. i turned nose to the wind on a hay field and tried to land. i only hovered like a chopper. i backed off throttle a bit and settled. at five feet i shut the engine down. nice landing. until a gust yanked me side ways. i was upside down. i couldn't pop my seatbelt because off that. fuel was pouring on my chest from the carb. finally i pushed with a free leg and got my belt released. a good man going by gave me a ride home and i trailered it home. my neck hurts. i will fly again soon.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh dear god you are one lucky man...better to get your neck checked out too to be on the safe side... I hope your aok this am too.. lordy talk bout giving us heart failure.. stay safe please.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idjit, never heard of a sky anchor? snicker

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Get the neck checked , in the meanwhile go easy on it. Mine didn't hiurt too much at first, but as it turned out, I had two neck vertabrae with compression fractures, It took almost 7 years before I stopped hurting, locking up, and having problems with it. A word of hard won advice to another potential old pilot.

p.p.s You are very lucky that it didn't collapse your chute

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Congrats on your landing!

Sorry to hear you got banged up a little...

Hope your wing didn't suffer much, either.

It's a good day!
You're here to tell us about it.

Best,
rmptr

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always wanted to para plane :thumbsup:

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
glad you are ok, ii love to fly, the neighbor youse to take me up in his stunt plane, didnt like the down drafts to much

OP
OP
flyinguy

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
thanks so much friends! the biggest bruise i got was my pride! i am so ashamed but i think i did well. it could have been a motor cycle. i rode for eight years but after being a para medic i gave it up. i got scared by the devistating injuries. hey, got a story to tell my grand kids! got some welding to do but i'll be back in the sky soon. i'm born to be there! did i tell you i'm nuts? Bill

OP
OP
flyinguy

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
i forgot to tell you the funny part. the guy that brought me home said " i see you all the time,that is cool! will you take me for a ride?" i asked him if he was as crazy as me. sure, a ride in a week!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I've wrecked whiskey haulers,motorcycles,horses,log trucks,18 wheelers,and 350 ton underground coal trains.
Don't know if I would have the hair to revisit what you have described.
Follow your dream.If we were all supposed to die in bed the government would mandate that we sleep standing up.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
flyinguy said:
i've been flying my para plane 9 years and hit some nasty weather but always handled it well. i went up last night in dead calm and flew for an hour. all the sudden, bam! wind shear. i was tossed up and down. i turned nose to the wind on a hay field and tried to land. i only hovered like a chopper. i backed off throttle a bit and settled. at five feet i shut the engine down. nice landing. until a gust yanked me side ways. i was upside down. i couldn't pop my seatbelt because off that. fuel was pouring on my chest from the carb. finally i pushed with a free leg and got my belt released. a good man going by gave me a ride home and i trailered it home. my neck hurts. i will fly again soon.

wow my friend, I will give God praise for keeping you safe as we both know the outcome could of been much worst.

Take care and may the clouds be beside you, the sun overhead and the ground parallel always

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
And you wanted to take me flying!
Like I said before, I will keep my feet on the ground.
I am still up for some detecting soon ;D
HH,
Donny

S

stefen

Someone once said; "If God wanted man to fly, he'd given him feathers". (something like that)

If that had happened to me, I'd still be puckered :thumbsup:

OP
OP
flyinguy

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
djabend said:
And you wanted to take me flying!
Like I said before, I will keep my feet on the ground.
I am still up for some detecting soon ;D
HH,
Donny
oh come on donny! it's fun! Bill

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
LoL!

Butch... ;D

I've learned the hard way, too.

Once, I wrecked a diesel truck at less than 5mph when I lost control and hit the 8ft tall tire of a michigan loader.
Smashed the front fender and knocked the axle back so far it dislodged the battery boxes that hit the fuel tank!
Fixed it that night and worked it the next day.

My worst crash I never even hit the ground.
Flew off a levee on a dirtbike and landed in a big bush/tree.
Man, was I beat up!
Hit all kinds of branches before I stopped, then I had to climb down to the ground!

Maybe I should stay away from wings?
Nah...

Best,
rmptr

OP
OP
flyinguy

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
rmptr said:
LoL!

Butch... ;D

I've learned the hard way, too.

Once, I wrecked a diesel truck at less than 5mph when I lost control and hit the 8ft tall tire of a michigan loader.
Smashed the front fender and knocked the axle back so far it dislodged the battery boxes that hit the fuel tank!
Fixed it that night and worked it the next day.

My worst crash I never even hit the ground.
Flew off a levee on a dirtbike and landed in a big bush/tree.
Man, was I beat up!
Hit all kinds of branches before I stopped, then I had to climb down to the ground!

Maybe I should stay away from wings?
Nah...

Best,
rmptr
you sound as bad as me! think of all the great stories to tell people when we get real old. i used to dirt bike a lot and broke mine in half doin evil knievel stuff. yeah, when them big ol' diesels hit, it doesn't take a lot of speed to do a lot of damage. i've got my girl welded up and when the wind and rain stop, full throttle and in the heavens! i found more bruises the next day. besides the neck, left back shoulder, bruised chin bone, scraped ankle. just another day at the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread