Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Redneck's Core Beliefs

Montana Jim said:
Shortstack said:
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Correct me if I'm wrong......A Redneck is just a modern day term for Yankee? :D

NOT HARDLY. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: The modern day term for "Yankee" cannot be spoken or written on a family friendly site. :D

Yup - still fighting the war down there aren't ya.

And which war would you be speaking of?

--The Spanish American
--World War I
--World War II
--The Korean War
--The Viet Nam War
--The Granada fight
--Desert Storm
--Iraqi Freedom

Southerners have fought in all of these. As a matter of historical fact, more combat medals for valor were awarded to southern men in WWI and WW II than all of the other sections of the US combined.

Still fighting "The" war? No. Still remembering the Reconstruction days of 1865, 1866, 1867, etc. ? Maybe.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

You've got to be kiddin. The worlds fallen apart and someones still got some idiotic idea that there's a difference between the people of the south vs the north. People are people, we all love our moms wanna be liked,and bleed red. Sheesh !

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Shortstack said:
Montana Jim said:
Shortstack said:
COUNTRY GIRL said:
Correct me if I'm wrong......A Redneck is just a modern day term for Yankee? :D

NOT HARDLY. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: The modern day term for "Yankee" cannot be spoken or written on a family friendly site. :D

Yup - still fighting the war down there aren't ya.

And which war would you be speaking of?

--The Spanish American
--World War I
--World War II
--The Korean War
--The Viet Nam War
--The Granada fight
--Desert Storm
--Iraqi Freedom

Southerners have fought in all of these. As a matter of historical fact, more combat medals for valor were awarded to southern men in WWI and WW II than all of the other sections of the US combined.

Still fighting "The" war? No. Still remembering the Reconstruction days of 1865, 1866, 1867, etc. ? Maybe.

There ya' go. Yea, reconstruction, aggression, LMAO, whatever helps you sleep.

You forgot the Indian Wars, southerners helped aggress those people too.

I can only claim Operation Southern Watch for myself.

My NY license plates have stopped traffic and my NY accent has stopped people in their tracks "down south"... I know, I KNOW that "yankees" are still hated and not trusted because of... well, I dunno because of? I've been in ten other countries - it's the rural southern United States I feel the most uncomfortable in...

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Jim, come on down to Okla. We'll spread out the BBQ, fried chicken, sweet team, etc. The boss is a 30 year transplanted Yankee from Jersey. Still has that nasal twang. LOL

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

stoney56 said:
Jim, come on down to Okla. We'll spread out the BBQ, fried chicken, sweet team, etc. The boss is a 30 year transplanted Yankee from Jersey. Still has that nasal twang. LOL

Thanks Stoney... :)

I guess we all are who and what we are... I'm defending my own too and really don't want to argue, and shouldnt and now feel like I highkacked the topic...

Sorry.

S

Smee

Montana Jim said:
My NY license plates have stopped traffic and my NY accent has stopped people in their tracks "down south"... I know, I KNOW that "yankees" are still hated and not trusted because of... well, I dunno because of? I've been in ten other countries - it's the rural southern United States I feel the most uncomfortable in...
Well, its just that y'all talks funny, as in: "Hey Yous guys!" and I still ain't figerd out them folks from Boston. They talk like they got clams up their noses.

Justin Wilson always said that a Yankee is any one from north of Denham Springs, Louisiana.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim said:
There ya' go. Yea, reconstruction, aggression, LMAO, whatever helps you sleep.

You forgot the Indian Wars, southerners helped aggress those people too.
I can only claim Operation Southern Watch for myself.

Why are you and MD Dog so emotional? Whenever the subject of The War of Northern Aggression comes up there are always somefolks who get sooooo emotional. And they're usually from north of the Mason / Dixon Line. If you'll reread my previous post, you'll not find any vindictive comments or ugly words. YOU made the statement, "Yup - still fighting the war down there aren't ya." and I asked you which war--then gave you some choices to enable you to be more accurate in your comment. Then, you regaled us with how some folks in the south stopped and looked at you when you spoke and noticed your NY license plate. Did those people make fun of you? Hurt you feelings? Anything? Or was it your own paranoia that was making you see things that weren't there?

When I retired from active duty military, I drove a truck for one of the larger trucking companies. The ONLY time I ever heard "trash talk" and name calling on the CB radio was when I had to go to Philadelphia, Pa; or NYC; or anywhere else in that area. If an American of African decent spoke up on the CB, there would be 2 or 3 guys, at least, talking over each other, telling him to "get off my radio n-----." I NEVER, EVER heard that kind of $hit-talk anywhere else in the country.

As far as the Indian Wars, there probably were a few southern gentlemen in the US Calvary. But, the Lokata, Sioux, Apache, etc, probably didn't keep diaries concerning the nationalities of those exterminating their tribes in the name of progress.

The only "Yankees" that are truly hated and mistrusted are those bringing drugs and other filth into our states. Otherwise, no problem. If the South is so terrible, why are so many Yankees moving down here to retire? It's because they can't stand their neighbors "up there".

If you feel so uncomfortable "in the South"; it's YOUR problem, NOT ours.

Happy hunting. :coffee2:

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

[/quote]

Who are you kiddin Shortstack ? Not me. :nono:

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Why are you and MD Dog so emotional? Whenever the subject of The War of Northern Aggression comes up there are always somefolks who get sooooo emotional. And they're usually from north of the Mason / Dixon Line. If you'll reread my previous post, you'll not find any vindictive comments or ugly words. YOU made the statement, "Yup - still fighting the war down there aren't ya." and I asked you which war--then gave you some choices to enable you to be more accurate in your comment. Then, you regaled us with how some folks in the south stopped and looked at you when you spoke and noticed your NY license plate. Did those people make fun of you? Hurt you feelings? Anything? Or was it your own paranoia that was making you see things that weren't there?

Nobody hurt my feelings or made fun - they just made me uncomfortable... and thats my problem? Maybe it is... I'm more defensive than emotional. You asked which war and left out the war of northern aggression... like it was not obvious. I told the stories to but some personal experience behind the assertation. I guess my NY accent was just SUCH an oddity that I could make 50 people stop in their tracks in a mall and stare at me... maybe I am paranoid! :tard:

When I retired from active duty military, I drove a truck for one of the larger trucking companies. The ONLY time I ever heard "trash talk" and name calling on the CB radio was when I had to go to Philadelphia, Pa; or NYC; or anywhere else in that area. If an American of African decent spoke up on the CB, there would be 2 or 3 guys, at least, talking over each other, telling him to "get off my radio n-----." I NEVER, EVER heard that kind of $hit-talk anywhere else in the country.

You never heard the N word south of the MD Line? :icon_scratch:

As far as the Indian Wars, there probably were a few southern gentlemen in the US Calvary. But, the Lokata, Sioux, Apache, etc, probably didn't keep diaries concerning the nationalities of those exterminating their tribes in the name of progress.

Actually they did - they called the negros "buffalo soldiers" for, amongst other things, their bravery. I'm sure all the whites looked the same.

The only "Yankees" that are truly hated and mistrusted are those bringing drugs and other filth into our states. Otherwise, no problem. If the South is so terrible, why are so many Yankees moving down here to retire? It's because they can't stand their neighbors "up there".

It's cheaper and warmer in the south - thats why.

If you feel so uncomfortable "in the South"; it's YOUR problem, NOT ours.

Huh? It's "my" job to feel welcome? I see... that must be where I went wrong... :-\

I'm sorry I "went there" on this topic... which really should be about the original post.

I am defensive about being lumped into a term that is almost always derogatory when used, and, always and only used by southerners, or as in the first post, asked to accept that only "red necks" can have the traits outlined.

S

Smee

Montana Jim said:
I guess my NY accent was just SUCH an oddity that I could make 50 people stop in their tracks in a mall and stare at me... maybe I am paranoid! tard . . .

I am defensive about being lumped into a term that is almost always derogatory when used, and, always and only used by southerners, or as in the first post, asked to accept that only "red necks" can have the traits outlined.

Do you think only Southerners are red necks? That is the problem. I have met rednecks (the correct spelling) from Michigan, New York, California, New Mexico, Montana (yep, born and raised there), even from just outside Washington D.C.

Perhaps you need to broaden out, because it is not a "derogatory" term except to elitists. I am sure that you are NOT one of those, you make too much sense in your posts, however, you may be uninformed.

Take this simple little test:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.

Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock .40 calibre, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.

What do you do?

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!

Does the man look poor or oppressed?

Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?

Could we run away?

What does my wife think?

What about the kids?

Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?

What does the law say about this situation?

Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?

Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send
to society and to my children?

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?

Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?

If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?

Should I call 9-1-1?

Why is this street so deserted?

We need to raise taxes, have paint and weed day and make this happier, healthier street
that would discourage such behavior.

This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to
come to a consensus.

Redneck's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click.....

(Sounds of reloading)

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

BANG! Click "Damn! I'm out!"

Daughter: "Nice pattern Daddy! Were those the Silver Tips, black talons, or
them new Hollow Points?"

Son: "Can I shoot the next one Daddy?"

Wife: "You ain't takin' THAT to no Taxidermist!"

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Smee...

I would agree that I must be uninformed.

I am not beyond admitting that I always considered "red neck" a southern thing. :tard:

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

Smee said:
Montana Jim said:
I guess my NY accent was just SUCH an oddity that I could make 50 people stop in their tracks in a mall and stare at me... maybe I am paranoid! tard . . .

Do you think only Southerners are red necks? That is the problem. I have met rednecks (the correct spelling) from Michigan, New York, California, New Mexico, Montana (yep, born and raised there), even from just outside Washington D.C.

Perhaps you need to broaden out, because it is not a "derogatory" term except to elitists. I am sure that you are NOT one of those, you make too much sense in your posts, however, you may be uninformed.

Take this simple little test:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.

Suddenly, an Islamic Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, praises Allah, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock .40 calibre, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.

What do you do?

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!

Does the man look poor or oppressed?

Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?

Could we run away?

What does my wife think?

What about the kids?

Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?

What does the law say about this situation?

Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?

Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send
to society and to my children?

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?

Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?

If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?

Should I call 9-1-1?

Why is this street so deserted?

We need to raise taxes, have paint and weed day and make this happier, healthier street
that would discourage such behavior.

This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to
come to a consensus.

Redneck's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click.....

(Sounds of reloading)

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

BANG! Click "Damn! I'm out!"

Daughter: "Nice pattern Daddy! Were those the Silver Tips, black talons, or
them new Hollow Points?"

Son: "Can I shoot the next one Daddy?"

Wife: "You ain't takin' THAT to no Taxidermist!"

Holy Crap ! That had me rollin in the isles laughing my a$$ off.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right on, Smee. Funny 'er hell, man!! ;D :thumbsup:

Montana Jim:
Guess you're sensitive to the term "yankee" as I am about the term "redneck". Before Foxworthy came along and got rich off of the deal, "redneck", as used by folks outside of the South, was taken as a serious put down. And, yes, there are rednecks in all parts of the country. Most people don't know the origin of the term and use it in a very negative way. Those of us who know the origin of the name tend to take great pride in it. That's why when one southerner calls another one "redneck", it usually taken with a laugh. As for "yankee"; I don't remember ever meeting anyone who got seriously angry or upset from being called one. So I'm honestly surprised.

As for the n-word: What I was getting at in that statement was that I'd NEVER heard that term over the CB directly to someone by anyone else EXCEPT where I said. I've never heard that n-trash talk over the CB radio anywhere else in the country except in the Philly / NYC area. I'm talking strictly from my own experience. I normally kept my CB turned on to monitor road conditions and traffic. I never liked to Yak-Yak on it like so many other drivers did. Normally, if anyone used fowl language there would be several folks key up and tell them to knock it off because a lot of families listened to the truckers' channels while driving across country. They'd usually clean up their act. But not in the northeast.

MD Dog: That post of mine that you quoted was a joking response to a previous post by Country Girl. Apparently I should have used this icon ;D instead of this one :D . But again, maybe not. ::)

One Southern Gentleman to another, " What's the difference between a Yankee and a Damned Yankee? "
Second Southern Gentleman to the first, " A Yankee comes down south to visit; then goes home. A Damned Yankee comes down south to visit---and STAYS. " :laughing7: :coffee2:

S

Smee

MD Dog said:
Holy Crap ! That had me rollin in the isles laughing my a$$ off.

Wish I could take credit for that one, but it's only here through the wonder of "cut and paste".

Glad you guys enjoyed it though. Has always been a favorite of mine.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Shortstack said:
One Southern Gentleman to another, " What's the difference between a Yankee and a Damned Yankee? "
Second Southern Gentleman to the first, " A Yankee comes down south to visit; then goes home. A Damned Yankee comes down south to visit---and STAYS. " :laughing7: :coffee2:

Shortstack,
I believe I heard my Mama say something really close to that when I was a kid.

Jim,
I think the term Redneck has become a metafore to represent the basic hard working, God fearing, America loving type ( gender not applicable ) patriotic individual. without bearing on race creed or religion.

Thom

S

Smee

"Redneck" came from what you get when plowing or doing other physical labor . . . a red neck from the sun. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck_(stereotype))

Not many elitists have 'em, so it would have likely been used by them as a derogatory term since it was only the unwashed masses who would get one.

That being said, "Redneck Rampage" from Zatrix/Interplay was a hoot!!! Aliens, trailer parks, exploding chickens attached to arrows on a crossbow, tornados, just lots of fun! Here's a pic of Bubba

RDNK0008.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread