YOU COULD HAVE HEARD A PIN DROP.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello all, With 4th of July; Independence Day; fast approaching, here are a few paragraphs that fall in along that line somewhere. Hope some of you enjoy reading this.

At a large conference, Colin Powelwas asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Irac were
just an example of "empire building" by George Bush.
He answered by saying, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."

You could have heard a pin drop.

Then there was a conference in France, where a number of international engineers were taking part,included were French and American. During a break one of the French engineers came back into the room
saying, "Have you heard the lastest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intend to do, bomb them?"

A Boeing engineer stood up, and replied quietly;
"Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear-powered and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the
capacity to feed 5,000 people three meals a day; they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water
from sea watereach day, and they carry a half dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from the flight deck.. We have eleven such ships; how many does France have?

A U>S> Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U>S>< English, Canadian, Australian, and French Navies.
At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel
from most of those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a
French admiral suddenly complained that, "whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English."

He then asked, "Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking in French?;

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied, Maybe its because the Brits, Canadians Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."

AND THIS STORY FITS RIGHT WITH THE ABOVE.

A group of Americans, retired teachers, recently went to France on a tour. Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his cary-on.

"YOU HAVE BEEN TO FRANCE BEFORE, MONSIEUR?" the customs officer asked sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France Previously.

"THEN YOU SHOULD KNOW ENOUGH TO HAVE YOUR PASSPORT READY."

The American said, " THE LAST TIME I WAS HERE, I DIDN'T HAVE TO SHOW IT."

"IMPOSSIBLE! AMERICANS ALWAYS HAVE TO SHOW YOUR PASSPORTS ON ARRIVAL IN FRANCE!"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look.
Then he quietly explained.

"WELL, WHEN I CAME ASHORE AT OMAHA BEACH ON D-DAY IN '44 TO HELP LIBERATE THIS COUNTRY, I COULDN'T FIND
ANY FRENCHMEN TO SHOW IT TO."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is a VETERAN?

A"VETERAN" --whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve-- IS SOMEONE WHO, AT ONE POINT IN HIS LIFE, WROTE A BLANK CHECK MADE PAYABLE TO "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," FOR AN AMOUNT OF "UP TO, AND
INCLUDING HIS LIFE."

That is HONOR, and there are way to many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
French people are rude. They should thank their lucky stars we were there for them.

I agree too. Our veterans do not get the respect that they deserve. Our vets are awesome no matter what branch, war, or rank you are from.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Thanks, guys, for your replies. I'm glad you agree. Ray, karenray08.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Good post indeed! I was in Alabama last week. There was a Marine in full dress at a store. He looked sad as he made his way to his car. I felt this strong urge to rush to his car and tell him "Thank You" before he drove off. He had one of the most beautiful smiles I've ever seen. And I could tell after that moment he felt proud to be an American. So did I.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
That"s great, Pepper. a moment like that can be remembered a long time. Thanks for the good reply. Ray.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post.

THANK YOU

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Thank you, for each of your replies. Two weeks ago We vacationed a week in Nashville, Tenn. We went to the
Grand Ole Oprey, and some other Preformances. At each show; at the finish; they asked if their were any
vets in the audience, would they please stand? When they were all standing, the singer thanked them for their service and requested the people to applaud them. I thought that was so great that they were honored
like that.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. AND GOD BLESS THE MILITARY.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
nice post some very good statements,

and today there are very good men and women serving our country with pride. :thumbsup:

Pepper trust me you made that young man's day, his family and his buds too once he spread the word

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Treasure Tales, you beat me to it. Happy Independence Day to you and Bridge end Farm and all the rest of our
friends on here.

Thanks to both of you for reading my post and for your positive replies.

I have received very good responses from this post. Thanks again.

Ray karenray08

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread