16 wounded in French military shooting demonstration

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARIS (AP) — A military shooting demonstration in southeast France on Sunday left 16 people wounded, including children, when real bullets were used instead of blank ones, officials said.

smiley_abused.gif

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-06-29-france_N.htm

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Maybe they need more practice :o They historically are more experienced at giving up than actually using weapons. :laughing9: :laughing9:

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
eagle77 said:
Maybe they need more practice :o They historically are more experienced at giving up than actually using weapons. :laughing9: :laughing9:

That is the truth. I saw an ad for a French military rifle, its' selling point was "never fired, dropped once". :icon_jokercolor:

John

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI peeps: A bit late just after the 4th , but never forget, that without the French intervention, we would still be a colony to England.

"Layfette we are here" remark during ww-1. returning the favor.

Until she bit off more than she could handle in Russia, similar to Germany in ww-2, she controlled most of Europe through military action, hardly the work of readily dropped rifle cowards.

The main problem with the Freich military has simply been their leadership.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Zoinkers! I wonder what they figured out?

Don Jose... true, true. Thank God they have a great history, because their present sucks.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI MONTANA: You posted -->

Don Jose... true, true. Thank God they have a great history, because their present sucks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately, We all must take our turn in history. Is our turn coming soon? I hope "not" in my lifetime. I have 1 1/2 wars under my belt supporting her, and am proud of her, politics aside.. All of WW-2 & first part of Korea.

Don Jose de La Mancha

S

stefen

Real de Tayopa said:
but never forget, that without the French intervention, we would still be a colony to England.
Don Jose de La Mancha

What happened during the birth of the United States does not excuse this current stupidity :icon_scratch:

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Don,

Let me play devils advocate for a minute. France didn't help us just out of the goodness of its' heart. They had been fighting with England for longer than we are a country now. It was more of a jab in the eye of England than France trying to help out a fledgling democracy. With that said, you are correct that the outcome of the revolutionary war may not have been the same without the assistance of France. I would have to say that we have paid back the favor a couple of times since then, wouldn't you? France is still an ally, but as an American general once said; "I would rather have a German division in front of me, than a French one behind me" ;D Funny little page about French wars.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html

All the best,

John

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
When will Americans get over their arrogance?

These bullspit wars make me wonder why!

It often disgusts me, and others I know.

We are all Human.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Uhhh, most countries are arrogant and proud! The only difference between most of the other bullspit countries and ours is that we actually have a reason to be arrogant. :wink:

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
GPURS said:
Uhhh, most countries are arrogant and proud! The only difference between most of the other bullspit countries and ours is that we actually have a reason to be arrogant. :wink:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

John

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI The US is my country for better or worse. She is mine, and I love her.

As for arrogance, it always falls. Becasue of political interference, we haven't done too well ever since Korea. We haven't won a war since WW-2, every action always ends as a compromise, sometimes in our favor..

We are being considered a paper tiger, not because of inability, but for lack of public support and political decisons, not military ones....

Don Jose de La Mancha

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
I suppose if you are looking for declarations of surrender, then no we have not officially "won" a war since WW2. However I would submit to you sir that "we" did "win" the cold war, and have sufficiently neutralized other serious threats in the last 60 years. If you expect someone to cry uncle before we get credit for a "win", then it may indeed be a long time before we see another victory. Myself, I don't need to see some halfbaked dictator sign a surrender to know that a threat is no longer a threat. I think Libya is a great example of this, as we did not fire a shot in Libya, but Khadafi(sp) saw a little writing on the wall and shuttered the doors to the nuclear facilities. Did he do this out of fear of a "paper tiger"? You tell me...

S

someotherdude

Real de Tayopa said:
HI The US is my country for better or worse. She is mine, and I love her.

As for arrogance, it always falls. Becasue of political interference, we haven't done too well ever since Korea. We haven't won a war since WW-2, every action always ends as a compromise, sometimes in our favor..

We are being considered a paper tiger, not because of inability, but for lack of public support and political decisons, not military ones....

Don Jose de La Mancha
Guess my experience in the Grenada and The Gulf wars don't count ? :icon_scratch:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI GPURAS: I haven't been called SIR since I left the USAF -- hint. You posted -->

However I would submit to you sir that "we" did "win" the cold war,
~~~~~~~~~~~
We won the first battle, they are regrouping again, and stronger than before. .
**************************************************************************************

You also posted -->

If you expect someone to cry uncle before we get credit for a "win", then it may indeed be a long time before we see another victory
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Essentially yes, other wise it is simply a limited police action with overwhelming military superiority. When they say a paper tiger, it is not the military that is at fault, but the people and the politicians failing to have the resolve. and will to back the military beyond a brief spurt..

The international groups consider a Paper Tiger a country with out the civilian will or backing to fight a long intensive war, or to "sacrifice" themselves.. Our civilians have very short memories or drive, but with the present oil situation, they may change for a while or go down the drain...
*************************************************************************************.

.You also posted -->

to know that a threat is no longer a threat
~~~~~~~~~~

curious as it seems, they seem to keep popping back up again and again, unless we take over the country, no? In that case it is a win.
***********************************************************************************

AS for Kadafi he is a paper tiger so far also. But he IS out an aspirin factory hehehhe This is an excellent case of letting the military do their job. They can do it, if not hamstrung by the public's reaction or the politician's.

Make no mistake the US military is the best in my opinion, but then I am prejudiced. VIVA the USAF.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHIO DUDE: You posted -->

Guess my experience in the Grenada and The Gulf wars don't count ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Relax my friend. I have never, nor will I ever, run down our military, only the lack of long term civialian / political backing.

Tell me, precisely why were you in Grenada? And what is the status today?

As for the gulf wars, they are still continuing, thanks to our politicials, not our military, they did their job..

Remember, I was in the military also. I started out in Oct 1941, then on Aug 11,,1942, became involved in the now little known Guadalcanal campaign. Then on to the final surrender. . Bk to college, then to the USAF pilot trainng. I have a bit of my life wrapped up in the military, all volunatrily.

Don Jose de La mancha

A recent picture showing that the military leaves it's mark on you.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Don Jose, I agree with you sir! Thank you for your service :wink:! Gpurs...
Oh, I thought the aspirin factory was what Clinton bombed in Iraq when the Lewinsky thing was all the news???? Oh well..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread