Dove Hunters

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
i always wanted to hunt the doves. then my friend who worked in the south said, Bill' they aren't the mourning doves in your driveway! DUH! they look tasty. but they are cute. i guess the ones you blast are fast and furious!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
flyinguy said:
i always wanted to hunt the doves. then my friend who worked in the south said, Bill' they aren't the mourning doves in your driveway! DUH! they look tasty. but they are cute. i guess the ones you blast are fast and furious!
If you get 3 for 25 shots on the fly as a newbie you have done fantastic.And yep,they are good to eat.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI: On the white wings, when I first came to Mexico about 5 in the evening it was quite common to have to stop to allow the Dove to scatter from along side of the road,. There would be flocks of up to a thousand picking up pea gravel before retiring for the night.

Today it is rare to see 15 or 20. where have ttey gone? To the Dove paradise in the sky due "entirely" to US Dove hunters..

They fly in on private aircraft in groups then proceed to bribe the Mexican guides who are also game wardens to look the other way as far as limits go. . After all, if one gives you $500 or $1000 dollars to look the other way ---.

One very prominent American producer of gun and camping gear is no longer allowed into Mexico for hunting after it was established that he had killed thousands of dove and was simply throwing their bodies into a small arroyo to rot. He was flying in cases of shotgun shells and guests.

My maid's mother thinks nothing of picking enough birds daily to fill 3 -5 gunnysacks of feathers and bodies minus breasts daily duirng the "official" season. When times were hard, I even made a sleeping bag out of
Dove down donated by American hunters.

They seem think that Doves are an infinite self renewing source, forgetting that they mate once for life and need two years in general to produce another dove. Once one of them is killed the other no longer reproduces, so we can have a three to one loss for the next few years..

They are going the same way as the Passenger pigeons did in the US.

I have been an avid gun supporter and sportsman all of my life, but I will state that I have alwaqys eaten what I harvested if edible. I still do on my exploring trips, it is important .

Growl, growl, growl. Even killing off the few remaining grizzz bars and big cats, sigh, it was nice to lie in your blankets at night listening to them prowling around your camp fire. Now one wonders if it is narcos checking up on you, or possibly one of the wild bandidos looking for a new pair of shoes or whatever. sigh

Don Jose de La Mancha

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Real de Tayopa said:
HI: On the white wings, when I first came to Mexico about 5 in the evening it was quite common to have to stop to allow the Dove to scatter from along side of the road,. There would be flocks of up to a thousand picking up pea gravel before retiring for the night.

Today it is rare to see 15 or 20. where have ttey gone? To the Dove paradise in the sky due "entirely" to US Dove hunters..

They fly in on private aircraft in groups then proceed to bribe the Mexican guides who are also game wardens to look the other way as far as limits go. . After all, if one gives you $500 or $1000 dollars to look the other way ---.

One very prominent American producer of gun and camping gear is no longer allowed into Mexico for hunting after it was established that he had killed thousands of dove and was simply throwing their bodies into a small arroyo to rot. He was flying in cases of shotgun shells and guests.

My maid's mother thinks nothing of picking enough birds daily to fill 3 -5 gunnysacks of feathers and bodies minus breasts daily duirng the "official" season. When times were hard, I even made a sleeping bag out of
Dove down donated by American hunters.

They seem think that Doves are an infinite self renewing source, forgetting that they mate once for life and need two years in general to produce another dove. Once one of them is killed the other no longer reproduces, so we can have a three to one loss for the next few years..

They are going the same way as the Passenger pigeons did in the US.

I have been an avid gun supporter and sportsman all of my life, but I will state that I have alwaqys eaten what I harvested if edible. I still do on my exploring trips, it is important .

Growl, growl, growl. Even killing off the few remaining grizzz bars and big cats, sigh, it was nice to lie in your blankets at night listening to them prowling around your camp fire. Now one wonders if it is narcos checking up on you, or possibly one of the wild bandidos looking for a new pair of shoes or whatever. sigh

Don Jose de La Mancha
Such were the seasonal flights when I taught my children wing shooting 20 years ago,Senior.Today we have so few that we do not shoot at them when we do see them.The grandchildren will have to learn fast shooting on clay pigeones.
You have told me why that is.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning DON: I am pleased to see rhat you are doing your part by feeding them. hehe.

Here the "sportsmen (?) are sitting around the water holes 18 hrs daily. The dove have no chance. I have no objection to normal hunting, to a point it is necessary, but when one forgets the limits and simply goes on a killing spree for some ? purpose, I object.

In the name of the dove, and true sportsmen, I thank you for doing your bit with the doggie food. I am not against you harvesting a few for yourself, they are good..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread