Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Slingshot,

Here is one for your avatar if you want.
Right click and "save as"

Thom

Attachments

• 70408.jpg
    70408.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 765

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Old Dog & Sling shot,

I have lived in Pennsylvania all of my life. I guess that you could call me a "Yankee". I don't see a problem with posting the Confedrate flag as an option. Just my two cents.

OD,

Great picture of that flag. Thanks for posting.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Just something I picked up along the way. LOL

My ancestors fought on the confederate side,
but that side lost.
They were veterans none the less.
They deserve the same distinction any vet gets.

Thom

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slingshot,

The flag that was posted by Old Dog was never actually used to represent the Confederacy.  Not a single soldier died for that flag.  Part of the problem with the rectangular flag like the one posted above is that it is now found offensive as a symbol of racism by some. 

The flag posted below is the Confederate Battle Flag in the style you're thinking of (one of many battle flags for the South).  It is square in shape.  As a CW relic hunter and researcher, I see no problem with you having the square flag as your avatar--and I posted one below that might work for you.  Sometime in the future, someone will probably find it offensive--but their offense will be misdirected.

If you look at the Sons of Confederate Veterans home page for example, you'll see the flag below--Not the flag posted above.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Attachments

• Battle Flag.JPG
    Battle Flag.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 813

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in before the fecal storm

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prospector40 said:
Add me to the list. The confederate flag is a battle flag. The only thing racist about it is the ones that are trying to stamp it out.

:thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
Will,
Thanks for the battle flag,
I may use it as an avatar one day.

LOL
Thom

I have one sitting on my desk, across from an American flag with 34 stars. :)

Best Wishes,

Buckles

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
battle flag,is there still a war going on? :icon_scratch:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDDE said:
battle flag,is there still a war going on?  :icon_scratch:

No, but if people want to post a flag that honors their veteran ancestors then this is the only one of the two posted above that makes sense.  The rectangular one has no historical basis. 

I wouldn't personally choose to put this flag on my avatar--and I do have ancestors that fought for the South from Virginia. 

But since this is one of the most misunderstoood facts about flags--one which always burns me up when I see the rectangular one flown with "pride"--I thought I'd take the time to type a few comments about it.

Regards,

Buckles

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Looks like the Duke boys dropped the ball too...

They even put the wrong flag on the General Lee...

Nick

Yeah--Folks have been confusing this flag for decades and decades.  As I recall, there was a rectangular version in use by the Confederate Navy at the time--but the blue stripes were lighter colored.  On most incorrect rectangular "southern flags," they are navy blue instead of more of a "sky blue."  But notice the colors on the General Lee--I think this is the Confed. Navy flag! So it is correct, I believe...

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
beale said:
About eight to ten years ago, does anyone remember the grade school kid from North Carolina that was expelled because he answered a question on a history exam correct. The question was, "Who was President of the United States during the Civil War? The boy being from North Carolina and a Confederate State answered President Jefferson Davis. The boy was expelled. This answer was correct. History teaches that Abraham Lincoln was President of the United States during the Civil War, actually we had two Presidents and they never put Jefferson Davis with the other forty-five Presidents or ever how many we have already had? The only time the name of Jefferson Davis is mentioned is during the Civil War chapters of our history books. Friends let me tell you there are tons and tons of history that is left out because our government does not feel that it is proper.

When I was in high school we had reading assignments for our literature classes. We had to read books that were not located in our school library, they were locked up in a room separate, you could not get into this room without being accompanied by a teacher. There were books in there of the old world-------books that were written before the Flood of Noah------there were books written by a blind man that the Angel Gabriel recited to him------there were books in there that described weapons of the past that we have not invented yet. Forgive me if I have gotten off on the wrong path here, but this is just something I have to tell. Our education system is bias when it comes to what we should or should not be taught and I myself think it is a disgrace that we can not read this and decide for ourselves but our government would rather that you do not know about it or even hear about it. I read books, now these are not fiction, about aircraft that were invisible, the pilot had to eat certain foods on certain days and the plane flew by mental thoughts. They could see inside the enemies planes. This is just some of books I got to read, which wasn't very many-----maybe ten. That room was about eighty feet long and thirty feet wide with shelves of books we are not allowed to read. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

By the way, I like the CSA Battle Flag also, as well as all the flags of each individual state.

Sorry Nick, I stole from you!!!

John

Attachments

• indexCATZKPV8.jpg
    indexCATZKPV8.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 733

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I have the deepest respect for ANY vetern that fought for their cause under any flag... no matter the country - no matter the reason. They should all be proud.

I do NOT however always have that same respect for the governments that sent them to fight.

All soldiers, no matter the team, are brothers IMO - the flag they fought under was the very symbol for all the felt and fought for. 

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
The Confederate States of America's national flags and battle flag have been much maligned, misunderstood, and misused.

I have no intention of being drawn into a debate about any or all of them, but I will say this: whatever else they may represent to others, they are undeniably historically significant symbols of the South— and the South means a very great deal to me indeed.

No doubt those in other regions feel the same devotion to their homeland, and I respect them for it; but my own sentiments are best expressed by Edward Ward Carmack's "Pledge to the South," from a speech which he delivered in the U.S. House of Representatives:

"The South is a land that has known sorrows;
it is a land that has broken the ashen crust and
moistened it with tears; a land scarred and riven
by the plowshare of war and billowed with the
graves of her dead; but a land of legend,
a land of song, a land of hallowed and heroic
memories.

"To that land every drop of my blood, every
fiber of my being, every pulsation of my heart,
is consecrated forever. I was born of her womb;
I was nurtured at her breast; and when my last
hour shall come, I pray God that I may be
pillowed upon her bosom and rocked to sleep
within her tender and encircling arms."

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Have fun:

Attachments

• lwp5.gif
    lwp5.gif
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,791
  • lwp6.JPG
    lwp6.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 747

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife had one of those girly jewelry parties a few weeks ago and a black lady oh Im sorry an African American lady was coming and in my living room I have a display case with some of my civil war relics in it and also has some in general civil war memorabilia and there is several confederate flags in the display case. She had the nerve to ask me if we should remove them before she got there. I said absolutely not! If she is offended that is because of her own stupidity and narrow minded thinking! She came, nothing was said but if there was something said I had a whole speech ready for her.

I have never seen a race of people so scared of there past. They act like that flag is going to do them bodily harm! Like it or not it is part of there past same as it is mine. Look at it this way, what do the Jewish people do about there horrible past? They do not try to cover up images of what they have been through. They have opened museums to educate there younger generation and the world for that matter about what they have gone through to become who they are today.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

KFB

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To call the Stars and Bars racist is total crapola...Slavery was practiced and totally accepted by many of the founding fathers and was in practice when this country was founded and on going before the civil war in both the South AND North. Thus if the Stars and Bars are racist then so are the Stars and Stripes. The Civil War started over state rights and tarrifs....slavery was NOT an issue or a cause for the start of the war. Neither side was initially fighting to free or hold the slaves. In fact once slavery became an issue later in the war many Union soldiers deserted or threatened to desert. The abolitionists made slavery a cause, but it was not the reason the war started. The only time it should (and is) be illegal to fly the Confederate flag (or any other flag) is if it is flown over the Stars and Stripes.

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can may revolutionize and make their own of so many of the territory as they inhabit.

Abraham Lincoln
January 12, 1848.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread