jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The political vision of a summer gas tax holiday died a quick death in Congress, losing to a view that federal excise taxes on gasoline and diesel fuel will have to go up if they go anywhere.

Despite calls from the presidential campaign trail for a Memorial Day-to-Labor Day tax freeze, lawmakers quickly concluded - with a prod from the construction industry - that having $9 billion less to spend on highways could create a pre-election specter of thousands of lost jobs.

Now, lawmakers quietly are talking about raising fuel taxes by a dime from the current 18.4 cents a gallon on gasoline and 24.3 cents on diesel fuel.

Among other revenue-raising possibilities, the commission recommended gradually increasing the current federal fuel taxes to 40 cents a gallon.

The American Road & Transportation Builders Association is calling for a 10-cent-a-gallon raise and indexing the tax to inflation.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GAS_TAX_HIGHWAYS?SITE=PAPOE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I just got an almost 30% Homestead property Tax Cut on my property tax.
guess I'll loose that to Gas taxes, and the backlash when everything else goes up

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Seems they giveth, and then taketh away...

Really sorry to hear that Jeff... I'll bet you thought there'd be just a bit of relief...

Best

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
The American Road & Transportation Builders Association is calling for a 10-cent-a-gallon raise and indexing the tax to inflation

Of course that is what they want, but what about what the american people want. Isn't our lobby goup as citizens worthy of attention. Of course politicians now tell us we just don't understand how things work, we are just too dumb to understand...

One thing that blew me away several years ago is our local natural gas company asked for and got a rate hike of 25%. We conserved due to the big rate jump, and so did many others. The next year they asked for and got another rate hike. Why did they need this rate hike? Did the wholesale prices go up again? Nope, too many people conserved too much and the gas company couldn't pay for all the new equipment they bought with the last pay hike, so they had to increase our price again. Brilliant...

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep it's the same as with the Postal Service.

the more they up the price of stamps

the more People use EMail or Direct Deposit for Bills

so the Post office raises prices of stamps more to make up their losses

that wouldn't be there if they cut down prices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread