Something Different ... For the Horse lover

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
cannot believe a watched that, talented horse, my sister is into that stuff, not that fancy though, here daughter just passed her up in that pony club stuff, c-3 i believe, Me just give me a dirt bike and shoot that horse, that's from years of hauling hay and a good kick to the chest :angry4:

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Thompy,

I still have a few horses, They sure are a lot of work.
The older I get though,
the more I prefer their company to some humans I know.

A dirt bike es a real problem causer out here,
we have a couple but they get ridden less and less.
Costs a lot less to feed a horse now days. with fewer oil changes.

LOL
Thom

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
WHO KNEW a horse could DANCE?! Or SKIP! Or prance-in-place? (what do you call that, anyway?)

I have to say I am totally uninformed about horse shows (well, outside of the western stuff - barrels etc). But I know I've never seen anything so exhilarating or exciting.

Freakin' awesome. so glad you shared it

Nan

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Nan,
The first time I saw it all I could say was ''WOW"

Our horses are cutting stock, so I know what you speak of.
We raise Foundation Quarter Horses.
I love to watch a cutting horse work.

Turn on a dime and give 9 cents change

I watched this three times before I posted it
And I agree with you "Freaking Amazing" just seems to understate the obvious.
I think "Matinee" was really enjoying herself here.
She really did earn the tens across the board.

Thom

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i just don't have the Patience we had a few horses as kids, my ma always wanted one, i think over the years she has ridden mabey 5 times, i use to ride, but never got into the English style, like i mentioned one of the horses was grazing in the yard, it started running came by me and I receive both rear hoofs at full extension across the chest, i flew about 15ft, and landed on the beach, trying to suck in some air, once i recovered a picked up a 12ft 2x4 and was going to return the favor, but my ma stopped me. from then on, i stuck to my bikes, if i got hurt its my own fault, no lazy horse trying to eat, or suddenly veering of through the woods, or getting spooked and trying to throw you. my walker would fly like the wind, and drop her shoulders with a little side step, and try to launch you, think she had a thing with guys, i gave her to my sister, she won allot of ribbons on her. all i got to say is horse people are nuts

S

stefen

A lot what you are seeing are changing leads (flying lead changes) side passing to name a few.

Its always a pleasure to watch a well matched and trained rider and horse acting as a unit. The rider is actually signalling the horse with leg pressure.

You won't see this type of action from a cutting horse which is something else altogether...a cutting horse is actually doing all of the work without any cues, pressures or sounds from the rider...

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
If the corral is large and open enough,
it is cool to watch the trained cutters practice their stuff when they think nobody is watching.

they will practice on the strangest things or try to.
I really think they enjoy doing it too.

Thom

S

stefen

Have ridden a cutter a time or two in team penning events and find them to be absolutely outstanding...then switched to my Peruvian which was like forcing a Mac truck to do a gymkhana.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Old Dog said:
If the corral is large and open enough,
it is cool to watch the trained cutters practice their stuff when they think nobody is watching.

they will practice on the strangest things or try to.
I really think they enjoy doing it too.

Thom
Yup.Had an old cutter that I would allow to go along,free running; with me on a young horse;when I was shorthanded working cattle.Took the place of another man until time to drive the truck or open the gate.

OP
OP
Old Dog

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Jim,
My advice to the kids when they climb up on one is ...

"If you drop the reins grab that saddle horn quick"
"either hang on or get dumped"

The funniest thing I think I have ever seen was when I put my three year old niece on the back of one of our oldest stud horses (just to see how he handled kids).

Note...Before anyone goes off on me I never let go of her until I was absolutely sure she was perfectly safe.

That horse froze. That little girl bounced kicked and tried her darnedest to get him going.
He wouldn't budge. I had to lead him around to give her a ride. I would stop ... he would stop.
That little girl goading him to go all the way along... no dice.

I have learned that these horses will defend "their" kids with everything they have and are as loyal to these kids as any dog , maybe more so.
That gentle old stud will be the nastiest thing in the whole world to another adult he doesn't like.
he will let the little ones almost abuse him.
I have also seen him cut the kids away from something he didn't like them doing.
he has also been seen practising on the cats, dogs, leaves and blowing pieces of paper.
He had a raccoon cornered in the pole barn once.

Cutting horses are a real hoot.

Thom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread