For All You "Youngsters" and you "Oldsters" Too!

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
For All You "Youngsters" and you "Oldsters" Too!

The Clothes Line

The clothes line....a dead give away. Do the kids today even know what a clothes line is? I am sure a lot of you are too young to remember the clothes line, but for all of us who are older, this will bring back the memories. . . .

TH E BASIC RULES

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes. Walk the length of each line with a damp cloth around the line.

2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order and always hung whites with whites and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders, always by the tail. What would the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday...........never hang clothes on the weekend or Sunday for heaven's sake!

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your 'unmentionables' in the middle.

6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather.............clothes would 'freeze dry.'

7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes. Clothes pins left on the line was 'tacky'.

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.

9. Clothes off of the line before dinnertime, neatly folded in the clothes basket and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED?????????? Well, that's a whole other subject.

A POEM

A clothes line was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the 'fancy sheets'
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the 'company table cloths'
With intricate design.

The line announced a baby's birth
To folks who lived inside
As brand new infant clothes were hung
So carefully with pride.

The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed
You'd know how much they'd grown.

It also told when ill ness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.

It said, 'Gone on vacation now'
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, 'We're back!' when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare.

New folks in town were scorned upon
If wash was dingy gray,
As neighbors carefully raised their brows,
And looked the other way..

But clotheslines now are of the past
For dryers make work less.
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess.

I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: For All You "Youngsters" and you "Oldsters" Too!

Yes we still have them. Though the list there is not what is typical of how the Swedes do it.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

yep, used those myself and I didn't even think I was that old! lol

S

stefen

Nothing like fresh sheets from the clothes line

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

just-geese said:
And let us not forget ::)

That looks like one of those new fangled electric models . Ours had a gas motor . :wink:

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

AND don't forget to detect under one if you see that it's still in use.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stefen said:
Nothing like fresh sheets from the clothes line

I will second that!
Sheets and towels always go outside.
Clothes last longer too.

Steve

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White

Has any one ever been clothes lined. Been there done that, some one chases you and you looking back, run under the clothes line and whang it catches you under the chin and your body keeps going in the air.
The laundry room was a shed down by the creek and a spring( refridgerator).
The washing machine was two or three washtubs, rubboard, the agitator was two or four wore out hands. The water heater was a couple of cast iron pots, heated by one of the kids keeping wood around them.
The laundry also served as a place to make soap, lard, cracklins, tallow, canned hash,
hominy, kraut, ketchup and other stuff. The syrup mill was was down the creek about 100 yards. Further down the creek about a half mile was the neighbors still.
They called him Mug Harris, us kids called him Mister Harris. Never forget that still, I
got myself a reed off the creek, cut the end off and blew the bugs out, and I had a super straw. I put that down in the vat of mash that was ferminting(like beer) got my fill, and it turned my teeth black and I had to keep my mouth shut for almost a week or tell on my self.
Were them the good old days? I forgot, by the way what were we talking about.
That was the days when utilities (lamp oil)was about a nickel every two months, but where would you get the nickel.
On Saturday night some people would walk a few miles to hear a radio with lots of static and marvel at some scratchy noise. Being a 1927 model, I have lots of memories and bad ones seem funny now.
If you have a problem, you will laugh about it in fifty or so years, so go ahead and smile now.

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Wow Gnewt...those are some great memories. I suspect you had a great life back then; the way you did things was the way most everybody did! :thumbsup:

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

I've read about these and even seen the "evidence" of them (via the staged propaganda photos), but I don't believe they actually existed. :P

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

NHbenz said:
I've read about these and even seen the "evidence" of them (via the staged propaganda photos), but I don't believe they actually existed. :P

I think all of us that experienced the thrill of victory that suddenly turns into the agony of defeat (aka being clothes-lined) needs to overwhelm NHbenz with meaningless Spam until he professes his belief in clothes lines :tard:

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

I still have and use one. Keeps my electric bill down during the summer.

DM

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

wesfrye53 said:
NHbenz said:

I think all of us that experienced the thrill of victory that suddenly turns into the agony of defeat (aka being clothes-lined) needs to overwhelm NHbenz with meaningless Spam until he professes his belief in clothes lines :tard:
OK, OK! Wes I didn't know you this kind of pull, but I guess I accept that people used to hang their perfectly clean clothes out where bugs, birds and who knows what could get to them... but this practice still seems just ridiculous. Can everyone just cut it out with the Spam?!

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

NHbenz said:
wesfrye53 said:
NHbenz said:

OK, OK! Wes I didn't know you this kind of pull, but I guess I accept that people used to hang their perfectly clean clothes out where bugs, birds and who knows what could get to them... but this practice still seems just ridiculous. Can everyone just cut it out with the Spam?!

OK Folks...Cut out the Spam.... NHbenz has converted...even if he doesn't realize the smell of clothesline-dried laundry far outweighs the bird poop, dirty hand marks, bugs, etc. :blob8:

scubatreasure

Aug 14, 2008
Trinity, florida

my parents always had one ...and still do...the funny thing is that now they live in this gated community in Florida on a golf coarse its not allowed...so the line is hung up in the garage...lol....and in regards to rule#3...you could hang your shirt from the shoulders , but then you'd have these too spiky things coming up from there, could always tell who hung out the wash by those dumb little spiky things when i would ware my shirt out....thanx DAD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions