Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
You guys have got me laughing here about penny-ANTy stuff. But now, just for kicks, I'm going to put a penny on a couple of anthills that are way out back and see if anything happens to them.
It might be interresting and funny to see if something does. If anything comes of it, I just
might post it at a later date. LOL.
Ray karenray08

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
Hey aa I finally figured it out after months of deductive reasoning and some chemical analysis utilizing an electron microscope and spectrometer. The copper coins give off a gas alright. It's. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Antesthesia :wink: :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :tongue3:
WOW thats deep thinking :o

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
aa battery said:
mastereagle22 said:
Hey aa I finally figured it out after months of deductive reasoning and some chemical analysis utilizing an electron microscope and spectrometer. The copper coins give off a gas alright. It's. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Antesthesia :wink: :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :tongue3:
WOW thats deep thinking :o

Isn't zinc one of the chemicals used in making H2O2? Getting the ants high are we?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
mastereagle22 said:
Who knows aa maybe I'm the one that's nutz!

No comment ::) ;D

Not only does it give off gas but it stinks to high heaven!

The worst smelling treasure stink is the electrolysis fumes from shipwreck cobs (it's a lot like burning sulfur).

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
mastereagle22 said:
Who knows aa maybe I'm the one that's nutz!

No comment ::) ;D

Not only does it give off gas but it stinks to high heaven!

The worst smelling treasure stink is the electrolysis fumes from shipwreck cobs.
yes but when the glass berries fall off power poles and hit the wet cement ants run from 1988 quarters. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes ants smell

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought rust was partially attrinuted to the gasous eruption in Lake Nyos, Nios (sp?) in Cammeroon Africa, that killed some 1700 ppl?
Not exactly sure bout that, will have to research that some.

Ants will naturally attempt to remove foreign objects from there ant hills/homes.
Out west, where peridot is more prevelant towards the surface, the ants will bring the stones up out of their ant hills, and dispose of them.
Garnets, too. Search anthill garnets.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
SOMEONE MUST BE REALLY BORED TO PULL UP A POST FROM '08 AND ANSWER A QUESTION ON IT!

Frank...- skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-3.jpg Dead post warning!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started reading this, read several replies before I noticed the date. Anyway, most of you probably already know it, but ants, especially fire ants love to get into electrical boxes. I found 'junction'/'make-up' boxes for the wiring for gasoline stations filled with fire ants often. By the time a problem is noticed, they have already damaged the wiring enough to cause quite a bit of trouble. And, it's not much fun trying to work in those boxes when they're full of fire ants!!!

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know that here in cali we have piss ants.??? wonder why they are called that? :hello:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa......I had a dog that would dig metallic objects out of my yard. She would only dig where there was metal and naturally this stuff was all rusty so I believe it does give off an odor. I should have tried her out in the gold fields! :)
You can sleep tonight after reading the following: :)
In the United States, any small or tiny ant that infests a home is often labeled as a Pissant or piss ant. An actual Pissant is an ant that lives in certain European forests and gets its name from the odor produce by its nesting material - pine straw and pine needles. Middle English pissemyre : pisse, urine (from the smell of the formic acid that ants secrete); piss + mire, ant (probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Danish myre).

Small indoor ant infestations (those commonly called piss ants, sugar ants) can be any of a variety of small ants. Pharaoh Ants, Ghost Ants, White-Footed Ants, Odorous House Ants, Crazy Ants and other small ants are often the number one pest control problem in certain areas of the country. On the west coast of the United States, Argentine Ants are a major concern

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa......I had a dog that would dig metallic objects out of my yard. She would only dig where there was metal and naturally this stuff was all rusty so I believe it does give off an odor. I should have tried her out in the gold fields! :)
You can sleep tonight after reading the following: :)
In the United States, any small or tiny ant that infests a home is often labeled as a Pissant or piss ant. An actual Pissant is an ant that lives in certain European forests and gets its name from the odor produce by its nesting material - pine straw and pine needles. Middle English pissemyre : pisse, urine (from the smell of the formic acid that ants secrete); piss + mire, ant (probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Danish myre).

Small indoor ant infestations (those commonly called piss ants, sugar ants) can be any of a variety of small ants. Pharaoh Ants, Ghost Ants, White-Footed Ants, Odorous House Ants, Crazy Ants and other small ants are often the number one pest control problem in certain areas of the country. On the west coast of the United States, Argentine Ants are a major concern
always wondered

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have the answer to the proverbial question, "Why is there air"
simple answer..................

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg