greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone else have a problem with dogs?
I love dogs and would have another if I wasn't in an apartment.
They need a place to run. OK so apt. dwellers take them to the park.
The park rules do not say no detecting so I figure it's cool. Rules say dogs on leash always.
Lots of folks walk by and ask if I had any luck. mostly poptops. They smile and walk on.
I am on my knee doing the best I can digging a nice plug and putting the dirt on a
cloth so I can put it back where it came from and make my dig invisible.
Along comes someones dog running loose and after cold nosing me and I almost commit harikari, tries to help dig.
That's the nice ones. I don't want the ones that "never did that before" to bite.
Or chew my equiptment. Very expensive equiptment. When I try to protect my valuables the owner gets irate!
Very irate with cussing and threatening me with bodily harm if I harm their dog.
I don't want to harm their dog, I just want them to leave me alone and not eat me or my property!
This has happened only a half dozen times but I have not been detecting for a year yet.
Am I the only one?

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
I think I'd let someone have it if they started cussing at me over that... I'd tell them I'm just protecting my expensive hard-earned equipment and I didn't ask to have a dog come nosing my face. Keep the dog on your freaking leash... and don't assume every person thinks its cute to just have a dog come jump on them and lick their face or play with them. If I had a Whites or Minelab and a dog chewed it I would demand the owner of the dog to pay for it. If he did not then that dog AND that owner would feel the wrath of a Chuck Norris-style roundhouse kick to the head... end of story.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to be "THAT" dog owner.....years ago...until one time my friendly dog went running over to say hi to some young boy and his dad flipped out on me.

Turned out his kid was terrified of dogs from being bit as a little baby.

Leashed my dog from that point on.

But on a funny note....my problem is with a neighborhood cat. Likes to batt at my coil as I swing it inthe yard. Tried schooching him away but he keeps comming back. It's a black cat...never find anything when he's around.

Al

spisswgt

Jun 24, 2008
Blue Springs Missouri
Detector(s) used
Ace Garrett 250
Radio Shack Discovery 2000
I'm kind of leary of dogs too though. My uncle had his lip completely bitten off by a "friendly" dog. Has a nasty scar where it was sewn back on. My brothers back was also shredded with bites from a "friendly" dog that everyone thought was just playing at first. No one knows if they're going to smell something like another animal or what on somebody and then they can flip out and attack. I love dogs and I'm nice to them but if they ever harm me or my family I'll break their neck right in front of the owner..

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Don't know where your from greydigger, but I think e problem is a local one for the most part. I'm in N.Y. and dogs running loose around here can get the owners in some serious shiate. From feral dog attacks on wildlife and people as well as pets, poultry, livestock, owners can get jailed for multiple offenses and dogs can be shot on private property. I keep a cell handy and make it a point to let owners know I'm calling the police if their dogs are running free. Even if it's a nice dog, dogs are dogs and as such have no right to be running free amongst people.

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
al, i have the same problem with one of my cats sometimes. ::) he also likes to sit in the holes i'm digging. stupid cat. lol. :D ;D and its a pain in the butt.
deepskyal said:
But on a funny note....my problem is with a neighborhood cat. Likes to batt at my coil as I swing it inthe yard. Tried schooching him away but he keeps comming back. It's a black cat...never find anything when he's around.

Al

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I have four dogs. I take one at a time with me when I go out. I almost never hunt in town so it bothers no one. As for other peoples dogs? Only time I had a problem was when one came up to me and Wizzed on my leg! Not Right I tell Yea! :tard:

dtwilson3

Jul 11, 2008
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher 1212, Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
homefires said:
I have four dogs. I take one at a time with me when I go out. I almost never hunt in town so it bothers no one. As for other peoples dogs? Only time I had a problem was when one came up to me and Wizzed on my leg! Not Right I tell Yea! :tard:

ROFL!! I'd hate it if it were me, but it's always funny when it's someone else!!

dt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Dogs have people problems. I am lucky here, everyone of my neighbors, have some wonderful dogs, I know all their names, talk to them and they like me. That is 8 dogs.

Back on the farm my neighbors had packs of dogs, hungry, no training and you had to watch them. The owners never had any thing to do with them, so it is clear where the problem lies.
Every one of my neighbors here spend time with their dogs, care for them and training is the instinct built into a dog. A well treated dog is friendly, gentle and obedient. My dog is friends with all the other dogs through the fence of course.
They have a very strict leash law here and all back yards are fenced. I have only seen one dog out, they had a problem with the gate latch and the gate opened.
Being a good neighbor I called the dog and he came and went right back in his yard
and I adjusted the latch, walla. The neighbor and his wife were working. I never mentioned it because Max (the dog) and I are good friends, I done it for him and he knows LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions