goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Browsing wikipedia, I saw this neat article about pull tabs....seems everything has a little history

The early metal beverage can was made out of steel (similar to a tin can) and had no pull-tab. Instead, it was opened by a can piercer, a device resembling a bottle opener, but with a sharp point. The can was opened by punching two triangular holes in the lid — a large one for drinking, and a small one to admit air. (I like this idea) This type of opener is sometimes referred to as a churchkey. Further advancements saw the ends of the can made out of aluminum instead of steel.

Shasta claims to be the first soda company to can their beverages.

The first all-aluminum cans were the same as their forebears, which still used the can opener to open them. Mikolaj Kondakow (this is are sworn enemy) of Thunder Bay, Ontario invented the pull tab version for bottles in 1956[Canadian patent 476789]. Then, in 1962, Ermal Cleon Fraze of Dayton, Ohio invented the similar integral rivet and pull-tab version (also known as rimple or ring pull), which had a ring attached at the rivet for pulling, and which would come off completely to be discarded. He received U.S. Patent No. 3,349,949 for his pull-top can design in 1963 and licensed his invention to Alcoa and Pittsburgh Brewing Company. It was first introduced on Iron City beer cans by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company. The first soft drinks to be sold in all-aluminum cans were R.C. Cola and Diet-Rite Cola, both made by the Royal Crown Cola company, in 1964.

Pull-tabs were a common form of litter. (as we have painstakingly found out) Some users dropped the aluminum tab into the can and occasionally swallowed the sharp-edged tab by accident (thank God for stupid people). Stay tabs (also called colon tabs) were invented by Daniel F. Cudzik of Reynolds Metals in Richmond, Virginia in 1975 [1] [2], partly to prevent the injuries caused by removable tabs. In this can model described in U.S. Patent No. 3,967,752,[3] the lid contains a scored region and a pull-tab that can be leveraged to open the hole by pushing the scored region into the can. Stay tabs almost completely replaced pull-tabs in many parts of the world by the early 1980s, though pull-tabs are still common in places such as China and the Middle East.

One unsuccessful variation was the press-button can, which featured two pre-cut buttons, one large, one small, in the top of the can, sealed with a plastic membrane. These buttons were held closed by the outward pressure of the carbonated beverage. To open the can, the consumer would press both buttons into the body of the can, thus opening one through which to drink the beverage, the other to provide sufficient air to allow the contents to flow more easily. The buttons would remain attached to the can, alleviating the earlier issues with pull-tab ingestion. A disadvantage of this method was that a consumer could open a press button can and either remove, replace or taint its contents, before shaking the can enough to force the press buttons to re-seal the can, with little evidence of tampering. Another disadvantage was that it was too easy for consumers either to cut themselves on the sharp edge of either hole or get fingers stuck inside the can whilst pressing the buttons to open it. (imagine how many people we saved an embarrassing hospital visit)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_can If you want to read the rest of the thrilling article

HH
-GC

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
We have found a few of the very first ones made.

They are really cool and they don't look like anything we have today so when you get one you know it!!!

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coors had those push button cans for awhile in the late 70's early 80,s and quit using them after a couple of years probably due to the finger in the hole syndrome. Yeah, I did it a few times. :occasion14:

Good post
Thanks
Steve

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I was younger (around the age of 5). The thing that would really rile up my Mom was dropping the tab in the can trick. Hey I saw my father do it all the time.

Yes this might be a great hat or shirt to wear. It could say something about how we hate Pat XXXX or maybe even a nice environmentalist twist on the thing. I am going to think of something.

Thanks for the story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread