Electric Cars

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking about these electric cars I've seen driving around. I think they're called Smart Cars?

It's great to save gas and go "green". I just wonder...even though you're saving gasoline does anyone figure in the financial cost of electricity, and more importantly the process of creating electricity and its cost?? Creating electricity requires coal, oil, or gas.

Do you really save anything in the end, especially if your sole reason for driving one is to be "green"? Electricity is not free, and is not a clean process either. Just because we don't actually see the fuel being used does not mean it isn't, right?

I'm not an expert and am just looking for some feedback. What about a diesel hybrid, or this "algae fuel" that I see is so easy and inexpensive to create? Algae is even good for our environment, soaking up our carbon dioxide.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Hi Staci,
I drive a Toyota Prius, not to be green, but because I like the car and like getting 50-55 MPG.
I understand making the car and disposing of the cars components are harmful to the environment.
So for me its not about being green.
The smart fortwo car is not electric, unless you are talking about the smart fortwo EV,
which is being released in the UK under a limited lease. The smarts you see are likely gas powered.

HH,
Donny

OP
OP
Staci (Fargo ND)

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donny,

Thanks for the input. I'm looking for it from both sides, and will not take offense to anyone's opinions.

The cars I'm seeing around are almost completely silent. I believe they are made by Revolution, and aren't smart cars like i'd assumed. I'm curious as to the price of owning an electric car as well; do you need to plug it in ever (costly?), or does it just create it's own power by using engine braking? Are hybrids different in that aspect?

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
The Prius is a full hybrid. It generates its own battery power. But it is not a plug in unless you buy a 3rd party system for it. <--(costly)
The gas engine only turns on to assist the electric motor at speeds over 42MPH or to charge the battery.
The regenerative break system also charges the battery.
The electric motor can operate by itself at speeds under 43MPH and runs the car silently.
The car is a real pleasure to drive, it almost has a calming affect on people.
HH,
Donny

Oscar Goldman

May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This industry and technology is still evolving and will take time to establish enough critical mass to have all of the underlying service industries become available. That includes the ability to recycle these batteries, more charging stations, etc...Right now all of the EV owners should be considered 'early adopters'...they are helping to work out the kinks in the market.

I'm not an EV owner, but one thing that I read was comments from Jay Leno who has over a hundred cars in his collection. The amount of effort to maintain his collection of Internal Combustion Engines compared to Electric Engines is reason enough that recognizing that EVs maintenance costs are so negligible that the total cost of ownership will be the motivation for new EV owners to emerge. I think I heard the comparison that Tesla has been able to replace 700 typical car components with one single component. There's no oil change, no spark plugs or fuel injectors to maintain, etc...

In my opinion, I think the real proof that EVs will revolutionize the transportation market will be how the trucking industry embraces the replacement of diesel Semi-Trucks with Electric. You get big business to fully commit then more investment to efficiently generate electricity and set up charging stations and recycling services will begin to flourish.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I wonder how far a Tesla can travel before it's battery needs to be removed, disposed of, and replaced?

Don't say that!!! Millenials get confused someone presents a logical argument and they have to use their grey matter for something other than following the other lemmings.

. . . don't you dare mention that converting energy from one form to another causes losses. Electric cars are magic because, apparently, we are supposed to believe that the laws of physics and science don't apply to them.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lets see the "savings". Per this article. Batts last 8 years & cost $16,000 to replace.This equals (the price of) 5,333 Gallons of gas at $3.00 per gal.
OR...667 gal. of gas per year.
OR 33 (20 gal) fill ups at $3.00 per gal.
OR one Fill up (20 gal.)per every 10 days.
So where is the savings $$$ And this is not counting tires,brakes,etc. etc, etc

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
.... I have caught more crap in my life for buying a new 2010 Prius. I didn’t buy it to save the earth. I bought because I buy the gas. 130k miles and still running strong. I still like the thing and 2 of my friends have them now also.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on those electric cars I heard we would have to buy all the batteries from china

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electric car batteries have the following elements w/in them.
Nickel.
Cobalt.
Alum.
Iron Phosphates.
Nickel Manganese.
The "experts" say only 5% of the elements are recycled .........Yeah,"save the planet" huh

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Electric car batteries have the following elements w/in them.
Nickel.
Cobalt.
Alum.
Iron Phosphates.
Nickel Manganese.
The "experts" say only 5% of the elements are recycled .........Yeah,"save the planet" huh

There you go again, destroying the millennials' dreams!

Next thing you know you'll be saying that getting the Covid vaccine doesn't protect everyone from covid . . . or that even vaccinated people should wear masks.

TobyFrederick

Aug 17, 2021
Plymouth, MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This issue has many different factors that should be considered. If I'm not mistaken, there is a separate environmental use of electric car. There is a separate term to designate elegges to the atmosphere with a full cycle of energy generation and use. As already discussed, the gas is also an excellent alternative. At least when you have to overcome quite large distances on personal transport.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread