Need some input...my sister is telling I need to do this....

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok..this is not about treasure hunting or metal detecting..but still a form of treasures...regarding photos. I am going to attach some photos (like before and after) and I would really appreciate your honest opinion. My sister says I need to open my own business, offer my services. I love doing this and have always had an interest in doing this, of course from home.

I scan all of my kids school work (grades K-5 only) and anything special after that....I scan their medical papers, id's, driver's lic (dau only for now), birth certificates, everything and anything...I keep them on CD's. I have 3 kids, so they each have a copy of theirs as well as their siblings. God Forbid, something should happen to my home, be it fire or natural disaster, they will still have their memories and if anything happens to their copies, they can get a copy from their siblings or me!

But I love playing with photos, fixing up old photos, etc and I have a blast scanning negs. My neg scanner can only scan 35mm and slides, but I had alot of disc films, 110's and 126 negs, that I don't know of any scanner that can handle those. So, I made my own templates for these negs so I could scan them. However, with the disc film, since they were round, the only way I could do that, was to cut the negs out of the circle. I will post an example of one I did. So, if I scan from disc films, they will be destroyed as they have to be cut in order for me to do them. That is the sad part!! And for that, I am very sorry. :'(

I think of all those folks from Katrina and other natural disasters, that lost all those family treasures and thought it would be nice to scan things so folks can have some memories to hold onto. Well, I never did anything, but my sister, just today, is like "Annie, you need to do this. You are so good!!" She knows how to pump me up!! LOL

So, here's a few scans of work I have done. These folks are all related to me.
I Thank You for your input.
Annmarie

The first 2 photos are of my mother and us kids. Mom had 5, but only four of us for there for the photo. My other sister came a few days later, but two had left to go back home. So, in order to get a pic of all of us, with recent pics, I added my sister on the right of the photo. The first photo is myself and 2 of my sisters and brother with Mom...the second photo is my sister. The third photo is all 5 of us and the 4th photo, I added photos of us on the wall. :wink:

Now, the next photo, are of my dau and my ex (her father) when she was 9 days old. The first one was scanned from a DISC FILM, the second I put color back into it and the third, not finished, I started removing dust and scratches.

The next set, the first one is of my father, then my mother and then I put them together. I see though, where I needed to make her horse's head not so transparent...I'll have to fix that....but even though they did not meet then, it was a few years later, I put them together, cause I could and thought it looked neat! ;D

The next one is of my mother in law when she was a youngin...she was upset her photo was messed up..so I fixed it.

And the last of my sister's bestest buddy. Can you see what I did with Rosie's pic?

So ... I know alot of folks can do this themselves, but then again, alot can't or don't have time or patience. I am just wondering if I should take a chance in doing a little home business at home...to help others preserve their heritage? I would like to venture into making negs of their photos too..but that will come later on...

Just your honest opinion....thanks so much!
Annmarie

PS: I had to resize these down.....

Attachments

• us kids 1a.jpg
    us kids 1a.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 274
  • mom19 aug 2005 013q use.jpg
    mom19 aug 2005 013q use.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 282
  • jacki and dad use.jpg
    jacki and dad use.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 262
  • dadmombefore1a use.jpg
    dadmombefore1a use.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 266
  • dadmom16c use.jpg
    dadmom16c use.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 262
  • memaw use.jpg
    memaw use.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 261
  • rosie use.jpg
    rosie use.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 267

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holey cow you did a great job..I am seriously impressed..and I think its a great idea too

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
I think your on to something. I have boxes of old photos that I don't look at much to try and preserve them. It would be kind of neat to pop in a disc and have the TV run a slide show. Don't sell your talents to cheap as many start up businesses do.Good Luck.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Nice job of the photos…While I have no idea how much work is involved in doing what you did…I can think of a few "problems" that might arise as to starting up a business doing it…How would you figure out how much to charge someone for your services?…If the job required was just to transfer the photos from one medium to another, I suppose you could come up with a flat rate per image…But if you plan to offer extra enhancements to the photos, along with transferring them, how would you come up with a price to do so?…If you plan to offer the service locally, and could personally view the images for condition problems, it seems you could come up with a ballpark estimate for your work…If your plan would be to offer the service over the web, and not have the luxury of seeing the raw product, it might be hard to get someone’s business and make a profit, unless you could provide a quote ahead of time…Then there’s the matter of satisfaction of the finished product…What happens if someone’s expectations aren’t met?…discount?…Lastly, who would you be "competing" against?..Not ever having sought out this type of service, I have no clue what options are available doing this… Not trying to deter you in pursing the idea…just throwing some stuff out there….good luck

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Awww shucks!!! Thanks ya'll!!! :-*

I have so many others I did....but that was just a taste :wink:

Copperhead, those are avenues I have run through my mind also. I can do a scan through email, as long as the quality of scan is pretty decent, even though I have worked with some not-so good scans!

I'll hit some of the local photo stores and get some price lists to see what they charge, which I can tell you, at some places around here, are not cheap!!

This is not something I would like to do to become rich on, just to help others preserve their memories! Since I'm on the computer all the time, LOL, I might as well make money from it and being a Graphic Artist by trade, that kinda' helps LOL...

I want to Thank You all for input....I believe I just may persue and see where it takes me!!! Rich? By no means...but happy doing what I enjoy the most, besides metal detecting, genealogy and cross-stitching!!! OH, forgot, I have a program that converts photos to cross stitch patterns...hmmmm?

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Cynangyl said:
:o :o :o I sooooooo want that program!! What is it called and where do I get it??

PC STITCH...go to http://www.pcstitch.com/

It is totally an awesome program...takes some time to get it figured out....

Sometimes, some of the photo to cross stitching patterns don't look all that great, but you can edit it to your liking...I did one of my sister (the one who is telling me to do this LOL)...turned out pretty good!!!

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Lookin' good! :thumbsup:
My best advice if you make this a business would be to not take on more work than you can handle at once. Better to have a dozen people on a waiting list than a dozen people waiting for their pics to come back. (I see snafu's like this all the time in the consumer advocate column of the paper.)

T

trish76642

Annmarie, you did a fabulous job on the pictures! The family picture you did adding your sister, i would of never known you added her to that picture if you hadnt of told us! I think you should try it as a business, if you dont you'll always sit and wonder 'what if' if you dont.
When my step son graduated high school, the Photo company who did all the senior pictures had offered Photo C.D's with each students Senior Pictures on them, have no idea how much they charged to do that but i know they made mega bucks! That could be something you could look into. Check with the local schools in your area, see if the photo company (that does Senior Pictures) offers it. You could do family reunions, retirement parties, Anniversarys, (you can put all that in your ad if you want too...lol)
I'll be waiting to hear how good your business is doing in the future. :wink:
Good luck!
Trish........

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Something that has prevented me from doing something like this is I'm unwilling to drop the pictures off hoping they'll return in the same condition, if at all. Some are irreplaceable. That is a niche market that if addressed would get You all the business you could handle.

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
On the last pair of pics, you straightened out the ladies necklace and evened out her complexion.

S

Smee

Nice work.

The little one on the "Fancy Horse" is neat. Was that one taken in New Orleans? Got one just like it of me about 49 years ago on what appears to be the same little horse, composed the same way.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I think you have a real talent to see what needs to be fixed and there is a lot of people that would employ you.
I would give it a shot. You'll never know until you try

sniffer

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Why don't you try an ad on Craigslist?

You can pull a wage from just doing the mechanics of scanning photos into digital.
Charge double that for editing work.
Even more for creative projects.

Best
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread